Thoughts on our Receivers

Rob's House

I'm hoping SJ and Nelson are the only WRs on this years roster next year. We definitely need the tall fast go up in a crowd and come down with the football kind of guy. After that I'd hope we can get guys who can catch the friggin' football.

Sean Peyton, Doug's old boss, says he like guys who can catch the football. If you can't, he'll get rid of you and get someone who can. I hope Doug takes this approach as well. If he does, Donald Jones and Graham would be gone and better guys will be here.

As I see it we need to sign 2 quality FA WRs or draft 1 and sign 1. The WR position needs a serious upgrade if we want to win.

And yes, I can say that even though we had Fitz throwing them the football last year.

I'm pretty sure TJ Graham will not only be on the roster, but will be asked (if not expected) to contribute big-time in 2013...If for no other reason then an Organizational attempt to save face for Drafting him where, and when they did... B-)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure TJ Graham will not only be on the roster, but will be asked (if not expected) to contribute big-time in 2013...If for no other reason then an Organizational attempt to save face for Drafting him where, and when they did... B-)

I hope you are wrong. They treated Josh Reed like that. He never really showed much in the way of talent but they stuck with him year after year, presumably because he was a reach and the franchise didn't want to admit their mistake. As soon as he was released he failed to even make an NFL roster. At this point, I'd rather they waste more time on Easley.

I hope you are wrong. They treated Josh Reed like that. He never really showed much in the way of talent but they stuck with him year after year, presumably because he was a reach and the franchise didn't want to admit their mistake. As soon as he was released he failed to even make an NFL roster. At this point, I'd rather they waste more time on Easley.

Well I don't know about Reed being a reach...He was the Biletnikoff Award winner..Reed came in to the NFL with 100 times the Resume TJ Graham did...Not saying he was a great NFL player at all...Just saying...

Look...I did not like the Graham pick whatsoever...But I seriously doubt he is going anywhere in 2013...Nor do I think he should be cut...No matter how he looked, he was a Rookie...Not only that, he was a Rookie coming from College where he was not even a regular starter...WR is one of the toughest positions to learn as a Rookie...And lastly Graham's one obvious attribute, his break-away speed, was basically useless with Fitz at QB...

We'll see how TJ responds this coming Camp...But giving up on him this early? I doubt the Bills do that unless he just implodes... B-)

Too early to give up on Graham. Give him another year.

You can't teach speed.

This position definitely needs a veteran free agent upgrade.

This. The right coaching can possibly catching. They went out and got a wr coach who was a pretty good wr in his own right. If he can take on graham as a project, then he might be able to turn him into something....

To me it's either upgrade QB, or upgrade at all WR spots

No question in my mind that Graham stays. If by year #3 he still looks like he did last season, then get rid of him but a 3rd round WR pick needs at least 3 years to develop as long as he is showing progress along the way. I say Leave SJ13 outside all the time. Teams often put guys in the slot to help them get open but he gets open all the time anyways so put another guy in the slot (Nelson) and that increases the chance of both being open. Nelson could be a very, very good slot guy due to the mismatches he creates. He may not be fast for a WR but he’s bigger than most CBs so he can use his size to shield them from the ball and is faster than most safeties and LBs. I think he’s also a fairly decent blocker but don’t quote me on that.

We need that other guy to go across from SJ13. Call that guy #1 or #2, it really doesn’t matter as long as he is a quality starter. Maybe Graham turns into that guy but I don’t think he’s there yet. I also don’t think Jones is any more than a #4 or 5 guy. He has the size/speed but it appears to me that he needs a perfect pass in order to make the play. I don’t recall ever seeing him go up and bring down a pass. We threw a couple of fade patterns to him and he doesn’t come close to making the play. One that I recall (I think it was preseason) the ball looked like it went right between his hands but never actually hit his hands because they were so far apart that he had no chance to make the play.

Josh Reed was not a #1 receiver, but was a valuable role player. He had a couple stretches dropping the ball in his early years, but he got over that. In his last years here he really came through for us with clutch 3rd down catches and aggressive blocking at miserable time in the team's history. Several games he looked like the only player on our offense that hadn't given up.

Sure we needed better talent all over our roster, but I'm not sure Reed should be bashed.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply SJ isn't a quality #1, but rather was suggesting we have a 1a, 1b receiver duo because 1. It's always great to have two guys that require double teams, & 2. To have an all around receiver on the outside to move Stevie around to give defenses match-up problems.

Edited by Rob's House

If Stevie Johnson isn't a true #1, then how, pray tell, has he managed to get over 3,000 yards in 3 seasons being on the receiving end of Fitzpasses? (anyone citing "garbage time," is automatically banned from the conversation and labeled a moron)

Johnson, Nelson, & Graham stay -- find replacements for the others. Jones brings good blocking to the table, but that's no enough to offset his mundane receiving skills. Graham is a wild card -- there is not enough information to kow if he will work out, but he's worth another year. Most wideouts take 2 or 3 years to really learn what it takes to be an NFL wideout.

A better QB would make any of our wideouts better -- but that it no secret. :doh:

this plus Alexander or Patterson would be good enough, as long as the qb could hit them. Nelson is huge on 3rd down and in the red zone. considering the receiving threats we have in cj, Chandler, and Freddy, any qb with a decent, accurate arm would have the potential to look like a pro bowler.

Top three WR I would like to see on this team are Nelson, stevie, and I believe Danario Alexander is a FA. The Bills brought him in for a tryout before SD signed him. He had a great yr with a qb that played as bad as fitz. He wouldnt cost a fortune and i believe hes 6'6". Hes young with a huge upside.

I really liked Alexander coming out of college, and hoped we'd give him a shot. The injury history should make getting him pretty easy.

Donald Jones is banged up each season and for his career has averaged less than 11 yards per reception. He shouldn't be more than depth on this roster. David Nelson is a guy just over 11 yards per catch, and if SJ moves to the slot, Nelson is without a role save for 4 WR sets.

I totally agree that he will definitely be on the roster next season. Typically WRs break out in their 3rd NFL season.....it's highly unlikely they will give up on a 3rd round WR pick so soon.

With that in mind, the save face concept really doesn't enter into it at this point.

I'm probably in the minority, but I really like Donald Jones. I think the guy showed definite flashes last year. Physical receiver who, like Stevie, seems to be able to get open down the field. Excellent YAC also.

Graham, as others have noted, won't be jettisoned this quickly. Lots of talent there, need to see how he develops.

So many lame responses in this thread. From TJ already being a bust to us signing Bowe AND welker. Why not sign Greg Jennings too? All three would love to play in buffalo. 4 wr set of Stevie, Jennings, Bowe and welker?? We'd be unstoppable and win 3 Super Bowls minimum.

I'm probably in the minority, but I really like Donald Jones. I think the guy showed definite flashes last year. Physical receiver who, like Stevie, seems to be able to get open down the field. Excellent YAC also.

Graham, as others have noted, won't be jettisoned this quickly. Lots of talent there, need to see how he develops.

Agreed. I like jones. He's not a star, but he's capable. If he ever had a real QB, we might be as to see how good he is. Every wr on the roster has been hampered by Fitz. Sure Graham dropped a lot of balls last year, but that doesn't mean he can't improve. We were never able to see how devastating his deep speed can be with fitz throwing the deep ball. Wait and see.

Donald Jones is banged up each season and for his career has averaged less than 11 yards per reception. He shouldn't be more than depth on this roster. David Nelson is a guy just over 11 yards per catch, and if SJ moves to the slot, Nelson is without a role save for 4 WR sets.

I'm sure jones' yards per catch doesn't have anything to do with him only running 5 yard slants due to our noodle arm QB and a guy calling the plays that knows his QB has a noodle arm.

I like him too. I see him as a serviceable number two, and an excellent depth guy.

I'm sure jones' yards per catch doesn't have anything to do with him only running 5 yard slants due to our noodle arm QB and a guy calling the plays that knows his QB has a noodle arm.

Sure, RF has a weak arm, but how does that explain Stevie being over 13 yards per catch the past 3 years and Scott Chandler out-doing Jones by more than a yard per reception since 2011? Scott Chandler doesn't run by some defensive lineman. TE's simply shouldn't be gaining more yards per touch than your #2 WR.

Was Graham really that bad? I remember him dropping a couple of passes, but not to the extent that it really jumped out at me, of course I missed significant portions of several games. I do remember him blowing the route that could have won the NE game :wallbash: Do you think he could improve with experience or has value at least as a situational deep threat?

No, he is a bust...it has been decreed by TBD...we could have Russell Wilson with that pick, y'now! :rolleyes: