Have to agree with Jerry Sullivan this time

BuffaloBill

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130117/SPORTS/130119293/two-bills-drive-1003

I know often members of this board have strongly disagreed with Jerry Sullivan. I have certainly been no stranger in this crowd. However, with this piece I agree with him. The selection of assistant coaches is puzzling and in many respects just ugly. The proof will ultimately come in wins or losses but on paper the bunch does not inspire fear in the hearts of other teams.

I am actually a bit surprised Marrone is not being called out on this issue more broadly.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why ? I think Marrone has assembled a good defensive staff who were former coaches with the NY Jets. They have been a big proponent of an Attacking defense and I am excited for that. With regards to the Offense, Marrone went with familiarity. I don't see any problem with that. It happens in real life for almost everyone of us. The problem is that many folks on this board and Sullivan want the "Known" names to be hired as coaches. People would be happy if Frank Reich and Alex Van Pelt had been hired as WR and QB coaches and also retained the special teams coordinator. I agree that the new ST coach does not spell confidence considering that his unit allowed a KR/PR for TDs in back to back games. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong here.

Jerry Sullivan doesn't know the first thing about what makes a "good" assistant coach. He's doing what he does best -- be overly critical and stir the pot. You realize all of the local media are upset right now because Marrone has limited their contact, right? The only quotes and true "stories" are coming out of bb.com. Jerry and his ilk are playing their game -- criticize, criticize, criticize, and hope they draw him out.

Jerry Sullivan doesn't know the first thing about what makes a "good" assistant coach. He's doing what he does best -- be overly critical and stir the pot. You realize all of the local media are upset right now because Marrone has limited their contact, right? The only quotes and true "stories" are coming out of bb.com. Jerry and his ilk are playing their game -- criticize, criticize, criticize, and hope they draw him out.

It is interesting to note that Marrone is getting a Mulligan here. Setting Sullivan aside, the fact is that his staff has little collective NFL experience and many have not coached what would be considered top units. This is especially the case on offense. Time will tell if this is a brilliant strategy or a poor one.

+1

As if we need Jerry Sullivan to show us the light and we don't have any past experience to draw pessimism from. I don't get the point, lets get upset before they coach a down?

Nobody is suggesting there is reason to be upset. Rather, is it not appropriate to point out that Marrone is taking what appears to be a risky path? Sometimes doing so,leads to better reward. It can also lead to quicker failure.

It is interesting to note that Marrone is getting a Mulligan here. Setting Sullivan aside, the fact is that his staff has little collective NFL experience and many have not coached what would be considered top units. This is especially the case on offense. Time will tell if this is a brilliant strategy or a poor one.

I looked at the piece as his "welcome to Buffalo" article. Also, you must be familiar with Sullivan's golf game, since you use the term Mulligan. I'm surprised you only used it once though....

First off, like all media, you have to accept the fact that 99% are unqualified to pass judgement on coaching, player evaluation, ownership, finances, etc. their sole qualification is someone gave them a job to have an opiniion,, regardless if that opinion is grounded in reality or personal experience.

I don't read these jokers because they add nothing to my fan experience that I can't figure out myself. This is a case in point as the curmudgeon apparently has some issue with the coaches. Shocker. The ironic part is, this guy is on the radio constantly harped for the Bills to take be path less traveled and stop hiring retreats. So they do and be slams it as risky. Sounds right for this walking contradiction.

Has there ever been a more I likable writer, ever? When you hear other guys on the radio, you might disagree with them but there's not a single one I can think of where you say his miserable personality and anger taints his work as much as this guy. he's got anger issues and can't have a conversation without resorting to getting angry and resorting to pouting.

But it seems that his nasty attitude is rubbing off because now Gleason is becoming a crank.

Grading position coaching hires is ridiculous. Go ahead around the league and tell me which position coaches are making the difference between playoff/non playoff teams! I'm not even saying there aren't any, just that nobody knows who they are. Throwing out these names and expecting it to mean something is nuts.

When Marrone came in, everyone assumed he would be running his offense and hoped that he would be able to find a good D coordinator (like Lovie Smith in reverse). He did that. Marrone and Hackett will work together on the offense, and that continuity is just as good as having a big name coordinator who is going to have to take a back seat to Marrone anyway.

I do agree that the Crossman hire, on paper, is horrible. As far as that goes, I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Edited by Faustus

These writers are not overly negative or overly critical of the Bills. This team has been in the basement of it's division for 10 years. The writers are making observations. Sullivan states many FACTS to support his article. He does not exaggerate or spin the article unnecessarily. He does say that it could work out. I don't know how anyone could disagree with his article.

Wait I thought "retreads" were the risky path that a GM and coach should be "called out" for and not "given a mulligan."

If they would have hired Norv Turner (the worst coach in NFL history when looking at tenure and winning percentage) you would be happier?

What is the risk? Morrone was an OC. Hackett and Morrone will work together on adapting the K-Gun offense back into the NFL.

Pettine has a ton of NFL experience on some of the top defensive units in NFL history. (Remember when the mid 2000 Ravens were being compared as a better defense than the 85 bears? I think also set a record or came close to lowest number of points allowed in a season)

So where is this heightened risk?

PpppplLllllttttt!

It is sooooo F'in stupid to criticize new hires. This thread and Jerry Sullivan's article is a waste of time.

I knew I should have ignored this crap.

i cant stand jerry sullivan. but i generally agree with him on this one

the real puzzling hire is crossman. st coaches have to work with what they are given but cmon they guy has consistently fielded some of the poorest units in the nfl over a long time period. had to be somebody better

and why rush to bring on the greenest oc possible when they could have easily made him the qb coach and then had their pick of some really well experienced guys? they had a head start on everybody else, why not take advantage of that like they did with pettine?

i do agree it looks like a young first time hc trying to surround himself with yes men. that kind of arrogance could easily undo him just like it has so many other first time hcs. it could work out this way and i hope it does but it is starting out with a bit of an ominous ring of familiarity

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130117/SPORTS/130119293/two-bills-drive-1003

I know often members of this board have strongly disagreed with Jerry Sullivan. I have certainly been no stranger in this crowd. However, with this piece I agree with him. The selection of assistant coaches is puzzling and in many respects just ugly. The proof will ultimately come in wins or losses but on paper the bunch does not inspire fear in the hearts of other teams.

I am actually a bit surprised Marrone is not being called out on this issue more broadly.

I agree. I'm still uninspired. If folks want to be blind sheep, go ahead.

Here is a quote from the article:

"Marrone said he wanted coordinators with solid NFL experience. He meant defense. Nathaniel Hackett, 33, the new offensive coordinator, is said to be bright and inventive. I'm guessing he'll be quarterbacks coach, too. But his NFL experience amounts to two years in quality control with the Bucs."

Every fan on this site knows that Hackett worked for the Bills, not the Bucs. But Sullivan doesn't know it. That doesn't stop him from writing an article condemning this coaching staff to failure after one week on the job. Does anyone even edit the Buffalo News? Seriously, that newspaper underachieves as much as the Bills, if not more. And now it's behind a paywall. The Buffalo News is toiletpaper.

Edited by Coach Tuesday