Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

I understand Te'o having personal motive to be involved in this hoax, but you proposed that Te'o may have been a victim and the girl was lying and in on the plot. To what end is she lying was the question.

I dunno. Boredom? Attention? To screw with someone? People do it more often than we realize - the only difference here would be the victim was a public figure. I'm not saying that's definitely how it went down but that we haven't seen anything ruling it out beyond the girl saying "wasn't me!"

It's even possible teo met "the girl" online and they made up the Stanford story to be cooler - which is shame on him. That could even absolve Reba potentially.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That girl explained exactly how the photo got on the account...Te'o's friend...maybe she was in on it but why would she spill the beans now? Bottom line...that dude made up the account...Te'o then pretended to have met her and talked to her family after the death which is impossible...there is almost no way Te'o was hoaxed

To say "wasn't me!" Once teo turned over the info that it was a hoax potentially? He was the one that brought this to light after all

The fact that he didn't fess up when caught is particularly annoying.

But I fail to see how it affects his ability to play linebacker in the NFL.

it's not like he was caught with an ounce of Bolivian marching powder or was slamming dog's heads against trees.

He went to notre dame with it - he wasn't "caught"

IMO most likely scenario hoaxster is gay and used this deception to have the only kind of relationship he could w/ straight males.

I think the joke that the hoax was to cover up his affair with Tebow is equally likley.

The fact that he didn't fess up when caught is particularly annoying.

But I fail to see how it affects his ability to play linebacker in the NFL.

it's not like he was caught with an ounce of Bolivian marching powder or was slamming dog's heads against trees.

How many imaginery tackles has he made ? Not too many real ones against BAMA

To say "wasn't me!" Once teo turned over the info that it was a hoax potentially? He was the one that brought this to light after all

He went to notre dame with it - he wasn't "caught"

actually...dead spin brought it to light...new **** has come to light man..new ****...ND now says he told them weeks ago...after the deadspin article...that's nothing

another reason not to even consider the kid at 8!

Sorry but if his poor play was not enough this should be a character flaw at the very least.

He is NOT a kid. He was the starting MLB for Notre Dame. And he had to resort to the internet to find a gf?? Come on guys.

Reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he pulls out the glamour shot of a girl to show Pedro!!

Some of you Teo apologists are cracking me up.............Read the deadspin article a second time if your unclear on whats going on.

Teo met her at stanford and vacationed in hawaii with her...........Wheres the hoax part come in?

Define "her."

Some of you Teo apologists are cracking me up.............Read the deadspin article a second time if your unclear on whats going on.

Teo met her at stanford and vacationed in hawaii with her...........Wheres the hoax part come in?

It would simply require her using a fake name. Nothing more.

I dunno. Boredom? Attention? To screw with someone? People do it more often than we realize - the only difference here would be the victim was a public figure. I'm not saying that's definitely how it went down but that we haven't seen anything ruling it out beyond the girl saying "wasn't me!"

It's even possible teo met "the girl" online and they made up the Stanford story to be cooler - which is shame on him. That could even absolve Reba potentially.

Its true that we cant rule out her involvement. Te'o may turn out to be the victim in a really cruel and elaborate hoax. His father's statements and the fake twitter handles which entered the fray later make it really unlikely in my opinion. I still find it more plausible that Te'o was involved and lean toward the twitter necro-beard angle.

another reason not to even consider the kid at 8!

Sorry but if his poor play was not enough this should be a character flaw at the very least.

He is NOT a kid. He was the starting MLB for Notre Dame. And he had to resort to the internet to find a gf?? Come on guys.

Reminds me of the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where he pulls out the glamour shot of a girl to show Pedro!!

hes not even 22 yet. he was exactly one day old when Bills played in their 1st super bowl. hes a kid.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Its true that we cant rule out her involvement. Te'o may turn out to be the victim in a really cruel and elaborate hoax. His father's statements and the fake twitter handles which entered the fray later make it really unlikely in my opinion. I still find it more plausible that Te'o was involved and lean toward the twitter necro-beard angle.

Like I said - playing devils advocate there

But it's certainly possible from what's out there at this moment