Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

Hard to keep up with this thread, but haven't seen this posted:

http://rumorfix.com/...s-diane-omeara/

Link shows a picture of a woman, and below it states:

This woman was the victim in the Manti Te’o hoax, but she says she has nothing to do with it.

Inside Edition has identified the woman as Diane O’Meara, who works in marketing in Los Angeles.

Diane went to school in California with Te’o and was even a homecoming princess. She later attended California State University in Long Beach. Inside Edition caught up with the 23-year-0ld, who wouldn’t comment except to say her attorney would help them out. Her attorney then told them that Diane is indeed the woman in picture, but had nothing to do with the hoax.

Also separately saw my local TV news identify Diane O'Meara tonight as the woman in the hoax picture.

Edit: The "rumorfix" link got one of the details wrong - - Diane went to school in CA with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, not with Manti Te'o. But Diane O'Meara is the woman in the hoax picture.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also separately saw my local TV news identify Diane O'Meara tonight as the woman in the hoax picture.

Obviously Te'o didn't recognize her from school then.

I think the best scenario for Te'o is if it turns out he is gay. That's the only thing I can think of that doesn't make him look like a creepy wierdo in all of this. Regardless of whether he got duped, he obviously lied about some aspects of it. If he's gay and it was a cover then most reasonable people can wrap their minds around a guy, especially a high profile athlete from a very religious background, doing otherwise bizarre things to cover it up. Otherwise, I'm just not seeing it.

Of course, it would have been much simpler to take the virginity route and saying he's saving himself for marriage because that's what his religion suggests.

Important development: Manti's uncle who was interviewed today. He said hes spoken to Manti, and recalled meeting Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and suggested that raising money for charity may be the motive for the hoax..........

Alema said he first met Tuisasosopo at the team hotel at this year's USC game and that Tuiasosopo was there with a young girl "about the age of nine." Tuisasosopo introduced himself as a leukemia fundraiser. "He said he was currently raising money on behalf of Lennay (Manti's deceased girlfriend)." At the time Tuiasosopo claimed to be working with the Troy Polamalu football camp, a role that Alema knew he didn't actually have.

"I know that wasn't true," said Alema, "because I was in charge of Troy's camp."

"I smelled him as a bad rat," Alema said.........

In particular Alema took aim at Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a man he believes Manti met for the first time at this year's USC game, saying, "Ronaiah Tuiasosopo is a liar, he concocted the whole thing, there's no doubt in my mind." Later, he continued, "He lied every step of the way." Furthermore, Alama said, "This isn't the first time he's done this." He continued, "Lie after lie after lie, there's no way in the world this guy can be trusted. Ronaiah, if you're listening to me bud, you're a liar and a dishonest man."

http://outkickthecov...nding-hoax-.php

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Here's what I'm missing. I'm a HUGE fan on Manti Teo. I'm in the minority when I say I would (still!) want to draft him at #8.

HOWEVER, why are there so many folks here trying to rationalize this? "He had an online girlfriend, he was an introvert, and he was embarrassed when he found out it was a scam." WHAT?!? Read all the facts (that we know so far). It seems an Internet message board is probably not the best place to get opinions on this story as many of you are turning blind eyes to some really strange "coincidences" and saying this is somewhat " normal?" NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL!!

Here's what I'm missing. I'm a HUGE fan on Manti Teo. I'm in the minority when I say I would (still!) want to draft him at #8.

HOWEVER, why are there so many folks here trying to rationalize this? "He had an online girlfriend, he was an introvert, and he was embarrassed when he found out it was a scam." WHAT?!? Read all the facts (that we know so far). It seems an Internet message board is probably not the best place to get opinions on this story as many of you are turning blind eyes to some really strange "coincidences" and saying this is somewhat " normal?" NONE OF THIS IS NORMAL!!

i was high on this guy listening to all the hype during the season BUT after the game against Alabama I am not impressed at all. Plus with this issue I don't see how anyone could expect him to be an eventual leader on defense. The hoax will haunt him for a long time lets find a different pick at 8

i was high on this guy listening to all the hype during the season BUT after the game against Alabama I am not impressed at all. Plus with this issue I don't see how anyone could expect him to be an eventual leader on defense. The hoax will haunt him for a long time lets find a different pick at 8

Lol like ray lewis involvement in a pair of stabbing deaths really held him back a long time. Dude was super bowl MVP a year later.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Does anyone actually have any FACTS or PROOF one way or the other? Because it seems like in two days all we've gotten is conjecture.

We don't have much in the way of facts at all. The only facts we do have is what Manti is on record of saying in the past. Those are facts and they will not change. Whether any of that was actually true is a whole other story. But he can't take back what he's said in the past.

It's going to be interesting from here on in. We've only heard about 10% of this case. The rest will come out eventually. And I don't think this story is going to be supplanted by another because it's primarily a sports story. Something in the world of sports will have to be bigger to supplant it. What, the start of the NHL season?

Maybe he is just shy with the ladies and is an introvert...

Now THAT is just too bizarre.

But what if there wasn't somebody on the phone?

Keeping an open mind on this means one does not automatically assume that he is guilty of premeditated fraud(or being gay?)......and also that one does not automatically assume he is totally blameless in this amazingly strange situation.

His Father's comments shine no light on the situation.

I think the rough assumption I'm under (which may prove false) is ND likely said "lets see the phone records" when they hired investigators if they were that bold at there PC Wednesday

Edit: The "rumorfix" link got one of the details wrong - - Diane went to school in CA with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, not with Manti Te'o. But Diane O'Meara is the woman in the hoax picture.

Reba from the deadspin article

I saw a clip on TV last night, I believe on ESPN, in which they interviewed a kid at Notre Dame. He may have been a writer on the school newspaper or some such--I don't remember.

The point is that this kid was expressing the "word on the street" viewpoint on all this from a Notre Dame student's perspective.

He said that it was a commonly known rumor floating around campus that Manti's girlfriend was fake and he was victimized by a scam of some sort.

When the Deadspin article broke, he said the shock on campus was not that this whole thing was a scam...but that the rumors of the scam were actually true.

Also of note, and for everyone who continues with the "He's gay" theory...

A deadspin article previously posted here reported that it was generally understood on campus that Manti had a variety of girls on campus during his years at Notre Dame.

Further, anonymous sources on the football team indicate that everyone knew the girlfriend was a hoax, that Manti is a great actor, and he loves attention.

Manti is taking his time granting a TV interview about all this b/c he is is damage control mode now, and has to get his ducks in a row.

If he is guilty in some capacity, that will take time. If he was purely innocent, I think we would have heard from him by now.

I think the rough assumption I'm under (which may prove false) is ND likely said "lets see the phone records" when they hired investigators if they were that bold at there PC Wednesday

I'm not a lawyer, but you would think that getting phone records is a little harder than people just asking for them. I would think phone carriers wouldn't be too keen on giving out phone records without a court order. After all, no crime has been committed. Not yet, at least. But I'm sure the lawsuits will be coming soon.

A deadspin article previously posted here reported that it was generally understood on campus that Manti had a variety of girls on campus during his years at Notre Dame.

Further, anonymous sources on the football team indicate that everyone knew the girlfriend was a hoax, that Manti is a great actor, and he loves attention.

Manti is taking his time granting a TV interview about all this b/c he is is damage control mode now, and has to get his ducks in a row.

If he is guilty in some capacity, that will take time. If he was purely innocent, I think we would have heard from him by now.

A variety of girls. Good choice of words there.

By this account, he does exactly sound like an introvert.

And if he was completely innocent, we not only would have heard more from him by now (he's actually had 3 weeks to get his ducks in order), but we would have heard from him before the Deadspin article.

I'm not a lawyer, but you would think that getting phone records is a little harder than people just asking for them. I would think phone carriers wouldn't be too keen on giving out phone records without a court order. After all, no crime has been committed. Not yet, at least. But I'm sure the lawsuits will be coming soon.

No need to get the records through an adversarial process with the phone company itself. All ND had to do is ask Manti to provide them himself from his phone bill/online account.

All we know from the ND press conference is that they hired a large, national investigative firm that specializes in online data mining. Assuming this firm is a big, professional company specializing in private investigation, we have to assume one of the first things they did was get phone records from Manti regarding all this.

Unless ND is not being fully honest, or the investigation was carried out in an almost unbelievable amateur capacity.

Taking ND on their word (for the moment), they are saying we had pros look into this whole thing, and they concluded this is a hoax and Manti is innocent...which only makes the whole thing more confusing and interesting. For the moment.

Maybe he is just shy with the ladies and is an introvert...

This specific point might have merit. I mean, in college how many of us only talked to many of the girls we did (at least initially) because of the wonderful word BOOZE. Since Manti can't drink (which is likely why he didn't go to too many Irish Catholic College parties!), he may have been shy around women.

That said, still a lot of **** that doesn't add up.

No need to get the records through an adversarial process with the phone company itself. All ND had to do is ask Manti to provide them himself from his phone bill/online account.

All we know from the ND press conference is that they hired a large, national investigative firm that specializes in online data mining. Assuming this firm is a big, professional company specializing in private investigation, we have to assume one of the first things they did was get phone records from Manti regarding all this.

Unless ND is not being fully honest, or the investigation was carried out in an almost unbelievable amateur capacity.

Taking ND on their word (for the moment), they are saying we had pros look into this whole thing, and they concluded this is a hoax and Manti is innocent...which only makes the whole thing more confusing and interesting. For the moment.

Exactly - I haven't seen them with my own eyes so I can't make any claims. It might've been exaggerated too for instance, but I have to believe that the firm, with mantis cooperation, has seen some of what we want to see if ND went all in on this like they did.

For instance, they figured out the address and tracked down where teo sent the flowers to. A logical assumption is they probably also confirmed he sent flowers.

We as outsiders still don't really know how they confirmed the hoax but its reasonable to say they have a lot more information than we do.

Exactly - I haven't seen them with my own eyes so I can't make any claims. It might've been exaggerated too for instance, but I have to believe that the firm, with mantis cooperation, has seen some of what we want to see if ND went all in on this like they did.

For instance, they figured out the address and tracked down where teo sent the flowers to. A logical assumption is they probably also confirmed he sent flowers.

We as outsiders still don't really know how they confirmed the hoax but its reasonable to say they have a lot more information than we do.

In the relatively near term aftermath of Penn state, there's no way an institution or program director is going to stick their neck out for a guy unless they believe his innocence 100%. Perhaps the pi it wrong (doubtful), but I'm certain we can take ND cover up out of the equation.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

In the relatively near term aftermath of Penn state, there's no way an institution or program director is going to stick their neck out for a guy unless they believe his innocence 100% nia maybe got it wrong, but I'm certsin we can take ND cover up out if the equation.

You'd think that because you are a reasonable outside observer - but this pattern of "deny first, than cover up as possible" didn't start with Penn State. Politiicians pull this stunt time after time, it always ends up making things worse for them in the end, and none of that stops the next guy from trying it.