Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you didn't read what I posted... the founder of his religion was proven to be a con man similar to what people are speculating about Manti

All I posted was the similarities

For what purpose?

His faith is irrelevant to the story. The only reason I can see to mention what you did is it provided an excuse to have a crack at the Mormon Religion.

Don't get me wrong, my personal belief is that the basis for the Mormon Religion is borderline crazy.....but a forum and thread designated to football related issues is not the place to be attacking somebody's religion IMO.

Wouldn't you be worried as an NFL team about a guy who was so easily taken, if it turns out he was "catfished"?

I mean, this is a guy who is about to have an agent, endorsements, millions of dollars, etc. and if he DID get catfished, even his family got catfished too so its not like you can be like "Oh well he was young and stupid but he's got a good support system to make sure he doesn't get duped again."

Every con artist in the city he gets drafted to is gonna want a piece of this kid.

Wouldn't you be worried as an NFL team about a guy who was so easily taken, if it turns out he was "catfished"?

I mean, this is a guy who is about to have an agent, endorsements, millions of dollars, etc. and if he DID get catfished, even his family got catfished too so its not like you can be like "Oh well he was young and stupid but he's got a good support system to make sure he doesn't get duped again."

Every con artist in the city he gets drafted to is gonna want a piece of this kid.

the flip side being, he will probably be the most cautious guy on the team at this point.

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

NFL exec. this morning, "We'll draft criminals, but lie to my face and you're off our board." Some don't believe Te'o's story.

id assume most have no idea what the story is yet. even we dont, really.

that could be as simple as "if teo lied what happens?" "hes off our board if he lied"

Edited by NoSaint

id assume most have no idea what the story is yet. even we dont, really.

that could be as simple as "if teo lied what happens?" "hes off our board if he lied"

Of course. It's noteworthy that some already don't give him the benefit of the doubt. It'll be hard to shake that stigma for many teams, regardless of the truth.

The key is whether or not he lied to the public in anyway. Whether or not he was intelligent enough to realize it was a hoax is irrelevant. Things like that can be chalked up to "being young and not knowing any better." However, being dishonest is a trait that the public will not let just go by the way side. The next few days will be interesting as all the facts start to make their way out to the public.

Of course. It's noteworthy that some already don't give him the benefit of the doubt. It'll be hard to shake that stigma for many teams, regardless of the truth.

as SJBF pointed out up thread - this will be incredibly easy for him to settle if true. there will be records of phone calls, sending gifts, etc... If notre dame is to be believed, they have looked into this and are backing him to an incredible extent in their statements - it seems he has some sort of proof that he was really "dating" her and not running her profiles for fun. Notre Dame has specifically referenced the hoaxers having an actual location for him to send flowers for instance.

if the story line unfolding is to be believed his lie is that he had a face to face meeting with her, and didnt just meet online. if they think he can play, that will be forgiven faster than you can imagine. right now id imagine just like 90% of those in this thread dont want to give him the benefit of the doubt, a lot of scouts or gms probably only have a cliff notes version, a gut reaction of "that couldnt possibly be true," (because it does sound nuts, and really is pretty nuts) but are waiting for the facts.

Edited by NoSaint

as SJBF pointed out up thread - this will be incredibly easy for him to settle if true. there will be records of phone calls, sending gifts, etc... If notre dame is to be believed, they have looked into this and are backing him to an incredible extent in their statements - it seems he has some sort of proof that he was really "dating" her and not running her profiles for fun. Notre Dame has specifically referenced the hoaxers having an actual location for him to send flowers for instance.

if the story line unfolding is to be believed his lie is that he had a face to face meeting with her, and didnt just meet online. if they think he can play, that will be forgiven faster than you can imagine. right now id imagine just like 90% of those in this thread dont want to give him the benefit of the doubt, a lot of scouts or gms probably only have a cliff notes version, a gut reaction of "that couldnt possibly be true," (because it does sound nuts, and really is pretty nuts) but are waiting for the facts.

Some teams will write him off. Year after year, players are written off come draft time by teams for reasons that are arguably less substantial. The media attention, possible ribbing by opponents on the field, etc. Even if he provides convincing evidence, there are legitimate reasons a GM or coach might not want Te'o on their team.

I don't doubt that if he can clear things up a bit by providing some proof, he could still be drafted in the 1st round.