Bills Free Agent List

T master

Every year you have players that come in & players that leave via FA. This years list for the Bills goes something like this & i don't see a lot of them coming back with the coaching change.. I'll of coarse start with the most important IMO to the least important again MO .

Some i have listed in their spot due to money & possible depth player at a position of need that were good all around for the team.

1) J. Byrd - S

2) A. Levetre - G

3) L. Mckelvin - DB/ KR

4) D. Nelson - WR

5) C. Rhinehardt - OL

6) B. Scott - LB/S

7) D. Jones - WR

8) S. Johnson - DL

9) S. Merriman DE/LB

10) K. Moore - DE

11) K. Morrison - LB

12) C. Brown - C/OL

13) C. Macntyre - FB

14) T. Choice - RB

15) R. Martin - WR/ST

16) T. Jack - QB

17) T. Thigpen - ?QB

This is all of the players we have that could leave via FA that i found, (some may have been resigned by now) some will return as they should others should have never been brought in or let go a while ago.

As i said this is my interpretation of their importance to be brought back, but as we all know Bills fans have never been short when it comes to our opinions so fire away !!

Byrd & Levitre must be kept at all costs.

McKelvin should be kept, but don't break the bank for him.

Nelson is a restricted free agent, so the Bills should not have any difficulty keeping him. However I would like to see the Bills try to sign him long term.

Rhinehardt is good depth and won't cost much.

I'm fine with re-signing Scott, as long as he plays as a Safety, not as a Linebacker.

Jones stepped up when Nelson got injured, so keep him. He is not a #2 WR, but he would be good depth.

Spencer Johnson is a good back-up and teamed up good with Carrington on the interior line. Keep him. He won't cost a lot.

Merriman. Why not? Won't cost a lot, he's a veteran, and played good as a back-up.

Moore. Definitely keep him. Stepped up big when Anderson went down, and again shouldn't cost a lot to keep.

The remaining free agents can be let go. Maybe keep MacIntyre, but he is getting up there. Tarvaris Jackson you could probably keep, but no big deal if we let him go.

Edited by Mark Vader

Byrd and Levitre I think we will eventually get both. I predict that we sign Levitre to a long term expensive deal and we franchise Byrd, although because safeties don't make all that much compared to other positions, a longer term deal wouldn't kill us.

I would very much like to re-sign McLovin', but I think it is somewhat likely someone will offer him a pretty big contract.

I think Carrington and Rinehart can and should be re-signed pretty cheap.

Nelson, as stated above, is a RFA and we will have him at least this next year. I would like to have him sign a 3 year deal, too, which wouldn't be expensive.

Moore, meh. He's terrible against the run. I wouldn't mind him back if it were on the cheap but I don't really care.

Merriman I would like to have back at veteran minimum with incentives based on playing time and production. He played quite decent at the end of the year. I doubt anyone is going to offer him any decent coin, but I wouldn't care if he was gone either.

The rest can go, including Scott.

Maybe McIntyre stay. Marrone likes using a FB and he's still good on ST. But I wouldn't mind someone with a little more in the run game and pass game (as a runner and receiver).

One can make a case that none of the above will be re-signed. I don't see the Bills getting into a bidding war over Byrd and Levitre. There are going to be 2 or 3 teams going hard after Levitre... San Diego being one.... they couldn't protect Rivers this past season. Byrd could draw some interest from a few teams as well. McElvin? Is he a returner with nickel/dime coverage skills or is he a corner with returner skills. He's had 5 years to lock down a starting job, which he didn't do. Wherever he ends up, it would be astounding if he got a pay raise.

Rhinehart? I'm thinking he's outa here. Colin Brown would get signed before him... more versatile and bigger upside. Not that he may start if Levitre is lost. I believe G would be addressed in draft if needed... plus they could give Brandon Moore a look and he'd come cheaper than Levitre. Scott... I think he's on the fence. I think the Bills load up on LBs and I don't see giving reps to Scott there a wise move if you've made the effort to staff at LB. Safety... he's got a shot, especially if Byrd moves on and Wilson is shifted to FS.

Jones & Nelson? What have you done for me lately? Bills have not won more than 6 games with them in a prominent role. Both seem to be hurt more than the average wideout. Neither stretches the D regardless of the QB. I definitely believe the Bills ar going to give Easley a look and also bring in a couple of big wideouts with speed.

Bottom line is the Bills are going to be agressive on both sides of the ball. So, of their current roster, what players are better suited to play fast and downhill? We shall see.

Keep

1) J. Byrd - S I dont think you will find anyone better in FA

2) A. Levetre - G I dont think you will find anyone better in FA

3) L. Mckelvin - DB/ KR Just as a KR

5) C. Rhinehardt - OL Hard to find good OL people

16) T. Jack - QB Just to see if he was worth the draft pick we gave up

One can make a case that none of the above will be re-signed. I don't see the Bills getting into a bidding war over Byrd and Levitre. There are going to be 2 or 3 teams going hard after Levitre... San Diego being one.... they couldn't protect Rivers this past season. Byrd could draw some interest from a few teams as well. McElvin? Is he a returner with nickel/dime coverage skills or is he a corner with returner skills. He's had 5 years to lock down a starting job, which he didn't do. Wherever he ends up, it would be astounding if he got a pay raise.

Rhinehart? I'm thinking he's outa here. Colin Brown would get signed before him... more versatile and bigger upside. Not that he may start if Levitre is lost. I believe G would be addressed in draft if needed... plus they could give Brandon Moore a look and he'd come cheaper than Levitre. Scott... I think he's on the fence. I think the Bills load up on LBs and I don't see giving reps to Scott there a wise move if you've made the effort to staff at LB. Safety... he's got a shot, especially if Byrd moves on and Wilson is shifted to FS.

Jones & Nelson? What have you done for me lately? Bills have not won more than 6 games with them in a prominent role. Both seem to be hurt more than the average wideout. Neither stretches the D regardless of the QB. I definitely believe the Bills ar going to give Easley a look and also bring in a couple of big wideouts with speed.

Bottom line is the Bills are going to be agressive on both sides of the ball. So, of their current roster, what players are better suited to play fast and downhill? We shall see.

Yeah sure. It'll never happen. It doesn't matter if you can make a case for it or not.

I'd make an effort to keep:

Levitre

Byrd

Mckelvin

Carrington

Nelson

Jones

Reinhart

McIntyre

I wouldn't mind seeing Tjack brought back depending on who we added in FA and draft (and if we cut fitz). If we draft a QB and cut fitz, yet don't sign another QB, I'd be ok with him battling for 2nd strong. It's not ideal, but I don't think he's a terrible back up

Yeah sure. It'll never happen. It doesn't matter if you can make a case for it or not.

You have no idea what will happen.

New regime, new philosphy, Marrone doesn't owe tany of them anything. And, Buddy may be the GM "today", but Whaley will be the GM soon and Whaley will have a greater say in who is staying on the plate and who is getting pushed off the plate. Going forward the table is being set for Marrone and Whaley.

The one thing college coaches are really good at is turning over a roster. They are used to turning a roster 100% every four years.... and I believe that is a part of the reason Marrone was hired.

I'd make an effort to keep:

Levitre

Byrd

Mckelvin

Carrington

Nelson

Jones

Reinhart

McIntyre

I wouldn't mind seeing Tjack brought back depending on who we added in FA and draft (and if we cut fitz). If we draft a QB and cut fitz, yet don't sign another QB, I'd be ok with him battling for 2nd strong. It's not ideal, but I don't think he's a terrible back up

TJax was so valuable we refused to play him lest the world explode from his talent.

New regime, new philosphy, Marrone doesn't owe tany of them anything. And, Buddy may be the GM "today", but Whaley will be the GM soon and Whaley will have a greater say in who is staying on the plate and who is getting pushed off the plate. Going forward the table is being set for Marrone and Whaley.

The one thing college coaches are really good at is turning over a roster. They are used to turning a roster 100% every four years.... and I believe that is a part of the reason Marrone was hired.

Interesting point.

But i also think you have to take into consideration that in college you can recruit guys and thus go out and get someone you want. You can not just get anyone you want in the pro's.

I suspect you are someone who like myself has watched the Bills draft a good player namely DB's and than let them walk after initial contract.

The NFL might turn into even more of a transitional league due to new draft salary slotting.

I believe the Bills can and thus must re sign Byrd or Levitre. Both would be good, but Byrd is a must. Safeties like him do not come along every day. If Pettine can install a more pressing D/ blitzing, Byrd is the perfect guy to benefit with int's.

That's true, and I am sure there will be some form of turning over the roster.

However, if that roster turnover were to include Byrd & Levitre, it would be a very dumb move.

Interesting point.

But i also think you have to take into consideration that in college you can recruit guys and thus go out and get someone you want.

Not true. In college FB you are in serious competition with other schools & recruiters. And, in the case of Marrone & Syr., he had to bring in a lot of one & two star recruits to field a team. Syr didn't have the facilities or tradition to compete for players. In the NFL Marrone is on a more even playing field with a salary cap.

Every year you have players that come in & players that leave via FA. This years list for the Bills goes something like this & i don't see a lot of them coming back with the coaching change.. I'll of coarse start with the most important IMO to the least important again MO .

Some i have listed in their spot due to money & possible depth player at a position of need that were good all around for the team.

1) J. Byrd - S

2) A. Levetre - G

3) L. Mckelvin - DB/ KR

4) D. Nelson - WR

5) C. Rhinehardt - OL

6) B. Scott - LB/S

7) D. Jones - WR

8) S. Johnson - DL

9) S. Merriman DE/LB

10) K. Moore - DE

11) K. Morrison - LB

12) C. Brown - C/OL

13) C. Macntyre - FB

14) T. Choice - RB

15) R. Martin - WR/ST

16) T. Jack - QB

17) T. Thigpen - ?QB

This is all of the players we have that could leave via FA that i found, (some may have been resigned by now) some will return as they should others should have never been brought in or let go a while ago.

As i said this is my interpretation of their importance to be brought back, but as we all know Bills fans have never been short when it comes to our opinions so fire away !!

keep 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 14 and the rest can go imo.

1) J. Byrd - S Sign him, no brainer.

2) A. Levetre - G Sign him, no brainer

3) L. Mckelvin - DB/ KR Offer him, This is a deep pool for CB's this year, many better then McLovin, but not many offer as much across the board...but a rookie could do the same thing.

4) D. Nelson - WR Sign him, A WR that is better then most teams 2nd or 3rd could be our 4th WR, and I am just fine with that.

5) C. Rhinehardt - OL - offer him. Depth at OL, that'd be nice, and one less thing to worry about for the draft and FA. But, if he grass is greener let him go.

6) B. Scott - LB/S - Offer him, with a new DC and veteran experience offer him a 1 year contract with bonus' and a 2nd year option. He did not do anything with Wanny, but the 2011 season and prior showed he has something to offer, and 2012 notice that he was involved in a lot of turnovers, even if he didn't get the ball.

7) D. Jones - WR - offer him/let him go, I would offer him a contract, but nothing great. We have WR's we can target in FA and on the field other then him.

8) S. Johnson - DL - sign him, I'd take him over Moore.

9) S. Merriman DE/LB - offer him, No reason not to kick the tires again.

10) K. Moore - DE - offer him a small contract 2nd to that of Johnson, whoever signs first stays.

11) K. Morrison - LB - Let him go, for his own sake. Tell him that he is welcome to come back to coach any time in the future.

12) C. Brown - C/OL - Gone

13) C. Macntyre - FB - Offer him, but until I know the new scheme better...I cannot be sure.

14) T. Choice - RB - Gone

15) R. Martin - WR/ST - Gone, he had his chances...

16) T. Jack - QB - Offer him. Nothing long, he is not that great.

17) T. Thigpen - ?QB - oh yeah him...he'll find work and in 8 seasons we'll see him come in the game late after the backup for Dallas is injured. The guy has a horseshoe somewhere...

I have an idea what will happen considering we've been pretty good at locking up our talent recently. Nelson is on the list. He's restricted. Good chance he returns. Sure, I don't "know" that we'll sign at least 1 on the list, but I'd bet on it. Ill give you 20-1 odds, $100 bet that one of those players is on the roster next year. I can back $2000, don't worry.

TJax was so valuable we refused to play him lest the world explode from his talent.

He's not valuable, but he might be an ok backup if we fail to acquire a better #2

Byrd and Levitre are the 2 we gotta keep. Byrd especially. I would really like to keep McKelvin as well. If we don't, he could be the next Donte Whitner, ie, catching on with a good team and looking a lot better than he did here.

David Nelson is restricted. We should be able to keep him.

I sincerely hope that Donald Jones is not back this year. Surely we can get better WRs somewhere.

As far as the poster who said they would churn the roster, I disagree. Marrone, if he's been paying attention, should know he has 3 years to get this turned around or he's out. He can't afford to dump a lot of really good guys like Byrd and Levitre and start over. That would severely shorten his runway.

Byrd and Levitre I think we will eventually get both. I predict that we sign Levitre to a long term expensive deal and we franchise Byrd, although because safeties don't make all that much compared to other positions, a longer term deal wouldn't kill us.

Byrd may be franchised, but he may sit out for a new contract. That usually doesn't go well when a new coaching staff is in place and requires a lot of learning. This situation can get ugly unless the Bills will make Byrd the highest paid FS in the league.

I would very much like to re-sign McLovin', but I think it is somewhat likely someone will offer him a pretty big contract.

Everyone know that McKelvin sucks as a CB, but is a great KR/PR. It is up to McKelvin to decide if he wants a change of scenery or stay back.

I think Carrington and Rinehart can and should be re-signed pretty cheap.

Carrington was a beast on special teams, blocking multiple FG attempts. I hope they can negotiate a fair contract with him.

Nelson, as stated above, is a RFA and we will have him at least this next year. I would like to have him sign a 3 year deal, too, which wouldn't be expensive.

Nelson needs to show consistency. I don't think they negotiate his contract this season.

Moore, meh. He's terrible against the run. I wouldn't mind him back if it were on the cheap but I don't really care.

Merriman I would like to have back at veteran minimum with incentives based on playing time and production. He played quite decent at the end of the year. I doubt anyone is going to offer him any decent coin, but I wouldn't care if he was gone either.

The rest can go, including Scott.

Maybe McIntyre stay. Marrone likes using a FB and he's still good on ST. But I wouldn't mind someone with a little more in the run game and pass game (as a runner and receiver).

Merriman, Moore, Scott and McIntyre are all washed up or average players and can be easily replaced. It is time to bring in new bodies.

For I new coach I would guess it is kind of hard to judge a roster of a team that failed so badly. I hope there is some serious film study done and they make an effort. I never thought Chan did coming in or we wouldn't have seen Trent at all in the beginning (and they may have drafted a back up higher in the first place). I think if coaching was a big part of the problem (more so than talent with the team this past year), you do need to evaluate what the real problem was with each player on each play.

That being said, I do think fans know the team better in some ways than new administrations do.

Mc Kelvin, I don't know how worth it he really is but for the right price, yes stays

Rhinehardt I have always felt to be better than Ubrik, but not as good at pass blocking, much better run blocker though.I can remember teams we have had in the past who would have had no chioce but start these guys. I also think that one place that continuity really does count is the O and D lines. The longer they play together the better they can be.

1) J. Byrd - S

2) A. Levetre - G

3) L. Mckelvin - DB/ KR

4) D. Nelson - WR

5) C. Rhinehardt - OL

6) B. Scott - LB/

Should all stay but Scott moved to 3rd safety

8) S. Johnson - DL

9) S. Merriman DE/LB

10) K. Moore - DE

11) K. Morrison - LB

12) C. Brown - C/OL

13) C. Macntyre - FB,

Should stay also Johnson, Merriman played decent Morrison?????? never active but with the LBs we have now maybe he should have been????, Brown is a road grater in run blocking and good depth, giant and could be developing into a better player. Corey should be given a bigger role/s and is excellent on STs. Always has been.

16) T. Jack - QB

I would keep him as you never know if you will need him.

Everything also hinges on what they are able to do (or think they can) with other teams FAs and the draft. There are not many players on this team that should be comfortable.

I comtinue to think its terrible that we didn't sign 1 of Byrd or Levitre in-season. The franchise tag offers a lot of leverage, i would of offered both Byrd and Levitre slightly below market deals and said look one person will accept this and the other will see the deal get taken off the tabke and be franchised. Basically a prisoners dilemma game.

Maybe that leverage still exists but as we come closer and closer to free agency i think it starts to evaporate.