Jadeveon Clowney - DE - University of South Carolina

Guest BlackBenny

Jadeveon Clowney out for neck, back

South Carolina Gamecocks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney could be done for the spring.

Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told reporters on Tuesday that the All-American and reigning Hendricks Award winner could be shut down for the remainder because of neck and back pain.

Clowney, who will enter the 2013 season as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate, sprained his neck last week when he collided with defensive tackle J.T. Surratt during practice and wasn't cleared to practice on Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9155113/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-gamecocks-sidelined-neck-back-stiffness

if he was my son, I wouldn't risk any injury whatsoever. I would withdraw from college and enter one of those performance training program to prepare for the combine and significantly reduce the chance of injury from contact.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jadeveon Clowney out for neck, back

South Carolina Gamecocks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney could be done for the spring.

Gamecocks defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward told reporters on Tuesday that the All-American and reigning Hendricks Award winner could be shut down for the remainder because of neck and back pain.

Clowney, who will enter the 2013 season as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate, sprained his neck last week when he collided with defensive tackle J.T. Surratt during practice and wasn't cleared to practice on Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/c...-back-stiffness

if he was my son, I wouldn't risk any injury whatsoever. I would withdraw from college and enter one of those performance training program to prepare for the combine and significantly reduce the chance of injury from contact.

Agree wholeheartedly. I thought that Luck made the wrong decision by coming back for his senior year when he was going to be the 1st overall pick as a junior. It worked out for him, but it was a multi-million dollar risk.

yes, I know these guys get huge insurance contracts to protect them against a career-threatening injury in college, but that wouldn't heal the pain of missing out on getting selected #1 overall and getting to be the new face of a floundering franchise.

Suppose for whatever reason Buffalo still needed a QB in 2014 (situation hasn't changed there) and we've got the choice between Clowney and Manzelli. Who would say to take Clowney and get a QB later?

That's really the problem with this whole idea. If we don't come away from this draft with a QB who is good enough to be a Franchise guy - and he'd have to be obviously bad to contribute to a winless season - then we're going into next year with that coveted first pick and a terrible need at QB. With the Bills recent (20 years) misfortune on the QB front, I just don't think it'd be possible to pass on a very highly touted QB.

And, if we do draft a QB this year who looks to be Franchise material, the only way we'd have that assessment is if he played, and played well - then we'd not be in position to draft 1st next year. It sucks to say we have pretty much no chance at getting this Clown - but, if I had control of Buffalo's decisions, and had the 1st pick next year, there'd likely be a few teams willing to give up Ricky Williams-like bounty for the shot at Clowney or Manziel. I'd take the ton of draft picks and finally finish off this roster!

I love this from Clowneys quotes

"I had some people calling and telling me to sit out," Clowney said earlier this month. "I'm not going to say any names, but it was people I knew, agents, a little bit of everybody. I was like, 'I ain't going to sit out a season.' I couldn't just sit out, and I wouldn't sit out. I wouldn't do that to the guys on this team.

"Yeah, it gets tough sometimes, going to college and playing football full time and knowing what's out there for you and you can't have it yet. But I didn't come here to quit. That's not me, and it's not just about me."

Say what you want about this kid, but he has a great attitude, I will be pulling for him this year (I may sneak in a few games this year since my Daughter is a sophomore there too)

I love this from Clowneys quotes

"I had some people calling and telling me to sit out," Clowney said earlier this month. "I'm not going to say any names, but it was people I knew, agents, a little bit of everybody. I was like, 'I ain't going to sit out a season.' I couldn't just sit out, and I wouldn't sit out. I wouldn't do that to the guys on this team.

"Yeah, it gets tough sometimes, going to college and playing football full time and knowing what's out there for you and you can't have it yet. But I didn't come here to quit. That's not me, and it's not just about me."

Say what you want about this kid, but he has a great attitude, I will be pulling for him this year (I may sneak in a few games this year since my Daughter is a sophomore there too)

I have to say this. Spurrier/South Carolina got 4 straight SC Mr. Football winners. Three of them seem to be just outstanding teammates and young men.

I don't know too much about Shaq Roland off the field to say all 4 of then classify. But Stephon Gilmore, Marcus Lattimore and Clowney all just seem like high character guys driven to succeed on the field and give back off of it

Clowney is WITHOUT A DOUBT the #1 pick in the draft.

Dont embarrass yourselves by trying to bring Manziel into the conversation (or by suggesting we'll "lose all our games next year"). It's not even close.

Next Bruce, Next Reggie, Next Ware. I hope the Jets dont get him.

• 3 months later...

Jadeveon Clowney would be wise to sit out season:

The combination of a rash of injuries across the NFL through the first two weeks of practice and the opening of Division I college football camps throughout the country is a good time to consider the dilemma Clowney, and to a lesser extent other top-flight prospects like Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews, are facing. Every single practice or game comes with the very real threat of an injury, and the loss of all or the vast majority of that money.

Sure, he can take out an insurance policy but that premium costs money, and the maximum amount he would receive if and only if he suffered a career-ending injury and never played a down of football again is $10 million. If you owned a business and Clowney were your asset there is no way you'd let that machine run and possibly break down over the next nine months when you knew you could sell it for $24 million next May. It's the same line of thinking that leads horse owners to pull their successful thoroughbreds out of late-season races for fear that an injury could affect their ability to command large stud fees.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-08-08/jadeveon-clowney-south-carolina-nfl-draft

Jadeveon Clowney would be wise to sit out season:

The combination of a rash of injuries across the NFL through the first two weeks of practice and the opening of Division I college football camps throughout the country is a good time to consider the dilemma Clowney, and to a lesser extent other top-flight prospects like Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews, are facing. Every single practice or game comes with the very real threat of an injury, and the loss of all or the vast majority of that money.

Sure, he can take out an insurance policy but that premium costs money, and the maximum amount he would receive if and only if he suffered a career-ending injury and never played a down of football again is $10 million. If you owned a business and Clowney were your asset there is no way you'd let that machine run and possibly break down over the next nine months when you knew you could sell it for $24 million next May. It's the same line of thinking that leads horse owners to pull their successful thoroughbreds out of late-season races for fear that an injury could affect their ability to command large stud fees.

http://www.sportingn...olina-nfl-draft

I'm as much a purist and traditionalist as most anyone but I've always felt that this is an interesting academic question.

I wonder which player will be the first to just say "There's no point in me playing another year of college football. I'm gonna sit this one out, workout in the gym, go to football camps, work on my game, and wait for the draft."

I also feel that what Johnny Manziel did (breaking NCAA rules and thereby jeopardizing his eligibility) might have been done partly with the intention of skipping out on his last required season. At least subconsciously.

Clowney is WITHOUT A DOUBT the #1 pick in the draft.

Dont embarrass yourselves by trying to bring Manziel into the conversation (or by suggesting we'll "lose all our games next year"). It's not even close.

Next Bruce, Next Reggie, Next Ware. I hope the Jets dont get him.

Bridgewater and Boyd may look good enough to force a team like the Jets, Jaguars, Eagles, or Browns to draft a Q.B. if one of them end up with the top pick.

I don't want to say, heard it before. But heard it before "...the No. 1 overall high school football prospect by ESPN.com in 2008,[3] the first recruit in (sic) history to be ranked as the number-one player in the nation by any recruiting service. Rivals.com dubbed him (sic)the top defensive end prospect of the high school classes 2005–2009, describing him as "the closest thing to Reggie White and Bruce Smith".

Interestingly both from Southern Carolina programs.

Meet Da'Qwan Bowers... Yes I know that that was High School to College!

I have been watching this sophomore DL from the USC Gamecocks. He was the top rated recruit coming out of high school. They are saying he is the best DL prospect they have seen since Bruce Smith. Bruce was one of the few guys who had it all. He could bull rush you with his strength or he could blow around you with his speed. That's why no one could block him one on one. Clowney has the same attributes. He's strong enough to bull rush and fast enough to fly around you. Watching this kid is truely amazing. He made highlight reel plays over and over. Here's a good hit he had agains Michigan.

If Buffalo loses all of it's games and has the first pick in 2014 they better draft him. Unless he gets hurt he will most likely be the first player chosen in the 2014 draft. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC44nP7ClxM

DEs aren't game changers, I'd take him if we can but won't lose sleep if we don't.

Suppose for whatever reason Buffalo still needed a QB in 2014 (situation hasn't changed there) and we've got the choice between Clowney and Manzelli. Who would say to take Clowney and get a QB later?

Lee Mazilli from the 80's Mets??? He's too old

Edited by LVBillsBackr

I'm as much a purist and traditionalist as most anyone but I've always felt that this is an interesting academic question.

I wonder which player will be the first to just say "There's no point in me playing another year of college football. I'm gonna sit this one out, workout in the gym, go to football camps, work on my game, and wait for the draft."

I also feel that what Johnny Manziel did (breaking NCAA rules and thereby jeopardizing his eligibility) might have been done partly with the intention of skipping out on his last required season. At least subconsciously.

if Clowney was my son, I would advise he sit out and prepare for the combine. he is a certain lock to go Top 3 in the draft, if not #1 overall.

... I also feel that what Johnny Manziel did (breaking NCAA rules and thereby jeopardizing his eligibility) might have been done partly with the intention of skipping out on his last required season. At least subconsciously.

Maybe I just haven't heard, but has the NCAA's investigation confirmed that he received money? Because it is not against NCAA rules to sign any and all paraphernalia that anyone else chooses to sell for a profit. Even if some promoter told him, "Johnny, I'm going to sell all these for a million dollars," there is nothing that prohibits an NCAA player from signing those items.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe I just haven't heard, but has the NCAA's investigation confirmed that he received money? Because it is not against NCAA rules to sign any and all paraphernalia that anyone else chooses to sell for a profit. Even if some promoter told him, "Johnny, I'm going to sell all these for a million dollars," there is nothing that prohibits an NCAA player from signing those items.

GO BILLS!!!

That's weird because I'd been hearing on sports talk radio that signing autographs for money is a direct violation of NCAA rules.

Perhaps it's more complicated than that.

That's weird because I'd been hearing on sports talk radio that signing autographs for money is a direct violation of NCAA rules.

Perhaps it's more complicated than that.

As long as the player receives no money, it's all ok. He is free to sign whatever and wherever he wants. College players do this all the time. Even if they are told the items will be sold later on, it's still ok.

GO BILLS!!!