So Wes Welker is set to become a free agent...

New England has a history of letting players starting the downside of their careers go.

Personally I think he'd be a huge asset to the kind of offense it sounds like Marrone/Hackett want to run, and to whoever our QB will be next year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Wes Welker a whole lot. But I also think that the last thing the Bills need is another underneath/move-the-chains WR. They have guys who can do that. It's the deep threat that they really don't have (along with a QB that scares the D into thinking he can hit said deep threat)

IMO, the Bills could have a deadly WR corps with the addition of a true outside WR opposite of Stevie. So you take Stevie and this new guy and play them on the outside--there's your #1 and #2. On the inside, you have David Nelson as the sure-handed possession guy and solid WR3 option. If TJ Graham remembers how to catch a ball, he HAS shown ability to get behind opposing DBs. Donald Jones would be an EXCELLENT WR4/WR5 all-around option. He's no #2, but he could certainly be a WR3/4 on many teams.

New England has a history of letting players starting the downside of their careers go.

They'll plug Eldmann into that spot and not miss a beat.

I like Wes Welker a whole lot. But I also think that the last thing the Bills need is another underneath/move-the-chains WR. They have guys who can do that. It's the deep threat that they really don't have (along with a QB that scares the D into thinking he can hit said deep threat)

Agreed. He would be the wrong guy for the Bills to blow their FA wad on.

I agree JM57. We really don't know what we have due to Ftiz inability to throw the deep ball. I saw many a times last year that WR were open deep but Fitz couldn't hit them.

Opposing Defense knew it too.

I say that WR is not our glaring weakness, QB is, and also big fast LB core. oh and maybe a new saftey and CB. :)

Tim-

IMO, the Bills could have a deadly WR corps with the addition of a true outside WR opposite of Stevie. So you take Stevie and this new guy and play them on the outside--there's your #1 and #2. On the inside, you have David Nelson as the sure-handed possession guy and solid WR3 option. If TJ Graham remembers how to catch a ball, he HAS shown ability to get behind opposing DBs. Donald Jones would be an EXCELLENT WR4/WR5 all-around option. He's no #2, but he could certainly be a WR3/4 on many teams.

the guy is a future HOFer. If he becomes available for a reasonable price, there are no younger or cheaper options out there. this is just buffalo/ne haterade

It all depends on how much and for how long.

Welker and his agent know this is probably the last 'big' contract he will get.

I know we in Buffalo have watched him torch us for years but i really think he is sliding fast and thus would not be worth a 3-4 year deal, which is what he will want.

Some team who feels they could use a guy like him to win now, say Detroit, might jump at it.

Nothing wrong with moving the chains except Buffalo didn't do it enough this past season. I'd take Walker in an instant if he wanted to come here and if he wasn't asking for loads of cash. He's always productive.

I think we ended up using Stevie as a move the chains guy because that's all we had. Maybe Nelson coming back as a slot guy would be enough to free Stevie up to do more downfield.

I don't think Stevie needs Nelson coming back to be freed up to do more downfield, he just needs someone who other teams know is a threat to get him the ball downfield more.

I would not have a problem with the bills not making any moves at WR this year and just go into next year with these same guys and a new QB. I think that it really hurt the WRs that they had a QB that everyone knew was limited and not a threat to go downfield often, they also knew his accuracy wasn't good and he missed alot of throws to WRs that a QB should be making

If Welker isn't good enough for the Patriots anymore, why would he be good here? They don't usually let guys they know can still play at a high level walk. This isn't Patriots "haterade", its knowing that they don't usually just let guys who are still good walk

I thought that Stevie was really excelling in the slot when they made the switch this year, and Gailey liked him there too.

He would make a very nice security blanket of our new QB there.

Grab another Stud stretch the field type reciever and put him and TJ on the outside and keep Stevie in the slot. Nelson backs

up and spells Stevie, and Donald Jones/M Easly back up, or if neccessay replaces Graham/New Guy. Utilize Smith at TE if Chandler

isn't ready for the start of the season, and draft a TE in the 3-4-5 round to back up those two. Would also like too see D. Dickerson

utilized more at H-back, would make a good one-two punch with Spiller, and I think that this guy is capable of doing a lot more for

us next season. I don't think that we need Welker.

I would consider it, but I suspect that some team is going to offer him a lot more money than we would be willing to pay him.

As for Welker the player, certainly you can credit Tom Brady for a lot of his succeess. Nevertheless, Welker is a football player. You could see it even when he was playing with the Dolphins. He is one of those guys who gets the job done whatever he is asked to do.

Nothing wrong with moving the chains except Buffalo didn't do it enough this past season. I'd take Walker in an instant if he wanted to come here and if he wasn't asking for loads of cash. He's always productive.

Is there a better 3rd down reciever in the league? There answer is a big "no". We have Stevie J and a bunch of career benchwarmers/IR hot tubbers on the roster.

I don't think Stevie needs Nelson coming back to be freed up to do more downfield, he just needs someone who other teams know is a threat to get him the ball downfield more.

I would not have a problem with the bills not making any moves at WR this year and just go into next year with these same guys and a new QB. I think that it really hurt the WRs that they had a QB that everyone knew was limited and not a threat to go downfield often, they also knew his accuracy wasn't good and he missed alot of throws to WRs that a QB should be making

If Welker isn't good enough for the Patriots anymore, why would he be good here? They don't usually let guys they know can still play at a high level walk. This isn't Patriots "haterade", its knowing that they don't usually just let guys who are still good walk

Yeah, Welker, averaging 120 catches and 1400 yards, 12 ypc over the last 2 years of his career, isn' t good enough for the absolutely stacked Bills WR corps.

Yeah, Welker, averaging 120 catches and 1400 yards, 12 ypc over the last 2 years of his career, isn' t good enough for the absolutely stacked Bills WR corps.

Your right however its not the fact he isn't good enough but Welker has one of the best QB ever. There is no way he would put up anything close to that with the Bills. We are better off getting someone Big and Tall (young if we can) than a thist guy. His target area is to small for QB situation. Moreover, Brady can make any NFL receiver look good because he puts the ball in the right place. We dont have the option.