Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

First of all, Carson Palmer was great until he hurt his leg in the playoff game against Pittsburgh. He was absolutely everything you'd expect from a first overall pick.

And second, I'm not going to argue that any of the other guys are/were good, cause you're right, they pretty much all suck(ed). But this is a very dangerous and juvenile line of thinking. Where these guys played college football means absolutely nothing. It is a coincidence, pure and simple. Did the Lions stop drafting WR's because they had 3 straight first round busts? No, they took Calvin Johnson anyway. If you think Matt Barkley is your guy, you freaking take him. Someday there will be agood QB out of USC and I'll be damned if the Bills pass on him because of silly superstitious stuff like this. You have to look at the chicken and the egg: so if Andrew Luck had decided to play at USC, he wouldn't be any good now?

I'm almost inlcined to argue the opposite- that there have been so many straight busts out of USC that the law of averages says they're due for a good one.

I will just add that to compare guys like Sanchez & Booty to Barkley is silly. Barkley was a 4 year starter, put up great numbers all 4 years. Booty & Sanchez were 1 year starters. Rob Johnson started for a year & half I believe. You nailed it with Palmer, that guy was everything you wanted in a 1st round pick until he blew out his knee on that cheap shot from the steelers in that playoff game. He was never the same after that.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will just add that to compare guys like Sanchez & Booty to Barkley is silly. Barkley was a 4 year starter, put up great numbers all 4 years. Booty & Sanchez were 1 year starters. Rob Johnson started for a year & half I believe. You nailed it with Palmer, that guy was everything you wanted in a 1st round pick until he blew out his knee on that cheap shot from the steelers in that playoff game. He was never the same after that.

The one thing going for Palmer in Cincinnati was that he had a great group of WRs and TEs. Even their 3rd WR was a star.

The one thing going for Palmer in Cincinnati was that he had a great group of WRs and TEs. Even their 3rd WR was a star.

Very true. Having playmakers helps any QB.

Edited by Gordio

Barkley has some very definite ideas about what went wrong in his immediate past. "Yeah, I've thought about it long and hard," Barkley says as he picks disinterestedly at his Cobb salad. "I learned how to handle adversity last season, and maybe I could have done a few things differently. I could've had a bigger voice, given more input and taken it to the next level — pretty much as the owner of the company might … not just letting things happen.

"You put faith in your coaches, but when you see trends, things not happening the right way, and when the team rests on your shoulders, it's almost like you have to step up. You can't just let these things go by and watch them disintegrate in front of you. You've got to put the glue in somewhere. Looking back, I wish I'd been more forceful."

Added a scout for an NFC team: "He's pissed off cause everything he reads and hears is that he suddenly sucks. He had a rough few months. His season went south. He got hurt and couldn't throw at the [NFL scouting] combine. He got all kinds of bad press."

The assault on Barkley isn't merely media driven, however. According to an AFC scout who attended USC's pro day, a high-level executive for one quarterback-needy franchise was so underwhelmed by Barkley's performance that he walked out early, later expressing his lack of regard for the quarterback's arm.

plus those qbs had great defences to make them look good and barkley didnt

Barkley has some very definite ideas about what went wrong in his immediate past. "Yeah, I've thought about it long and hard," Barkley says as he picks disinterestedly at his Cobb salad. "I learned how to handle adversity last season, and maybe I could have done a few things differently. I could've had a bigger voice, given more input and taken it to the next level — pretty much as the owner of the company might … not just letting things happen.

"You put faith in your coaches, but when you see trends, things not happening the right way, and when the team rests on your shoulders, it's almost like you have to step up. You can't just let these things go by and watch them disintegrate in front of you. You've got to put the glue in somewhere. Looking back, I wish I'd been more forceful."

Added a scout for an NFC team: "He's pissed off cause everything he reads and hears is that he suddenly sucks. He had a rough few months. His season went south. He got hurt and couldn't throw at the [NFL scouting] combine. He got all kinds of bad press."

The assault on Barkley isn't merely media driven, however. According to an AFC scout who attended USC's pro day, a high-level executive for one quarterback-needy franchise was so underwhelmed by Barkley's performance that he walked out early, later expressing his lack of regard for the quarterback's arm.

I think I could write this stuff....

"This guy sucks! We wouldn't waste a pick on a guy like this. Nothing to see here...I'm just gonna 'shuffle off', said the man in a blue and red jacket.

All cleared up. Now we know why Barkley regressed in his senior season. It was they play calling. Kind of a passive aggressive way to toss the boss under the bus and exhonerate himself of culpability.

http://www.nfl.com/n...too-predictable

Considering the coach was Lane Kiffin, he was being VERY kind. Barkley stayed after the sanctions, and got screwed. Kiffin also screwed over Woods, and probably cost him millions of dollars.

All cleared up. Now we know why Barkley regressed in his senior season. It was they play calling. Kind of a passive aggressive way to toss the boss under the bus and exhonerate himself of culpability.

http://www.nfl.com/n...too-predictable

Wait a second. By boss, you mean the guy who got everywhere he has gotten because of his dad? The boss who has never actually been successful at any of his coaching job? The boss who scapegoated his dad and fired him? The boss who left Tennessee after one season? The boss who became hated by the owner who gave him his first coaching job?

If anything, Barkley's success with Kiffin is a giant positive to me. Kiffin is a joke.

Wait a second. By boss, you mean the guy who got everywhere he has gotten because of his dad? The boss who has never actually been successful at any of his coaching job? The boss who scapegoated his dad and fired him? The boss who left Tennessee after one season? The boss who became hated by the owner who gave him his first coaching job?

If anything, Barkley's success with Kiffin is a giant positive to me. Kiffin is a joke.

Kiffen is a joke. Agreed. And so are his QBs... Leinart, Booty, and now Barkley.

Barkley had an A list oline, a 1st rd. WR this year, a top 10 WR next year. What's to B word or make excuses for? If he had all that talent and there are still that many questions about him then something aint adding up.

There's damn good reason to question his arm strength, which was marginal before he got hurt. His arm doesn't magically get stronger after a shoulder injury lkke that.

From this link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9192964/nfl-draft-matt-barkley-embraces-all

Greg Cosell, who has spent more than two decades breaking down film of quarterbacks as the executive producer of ESPN's "NFL Matchup" show, takes the analysis of Barkley one step further.

"I don't think he's an NFL starting quarterback," Cosell said. "When all is said and done, you're dealing with a quarterback with average arm strength that struggles to drive the ball at the intermediate and deeper levels. Therefore, there are throws that he will struggle to make, and, given that he's essentially a pocket quarterback, that's how he will have to make his living. He's not an athletic quarterback. I don't think he has very good feet. So when you look at the fact he's shorter than you'd like, has an average arm, and he's not particularly athletic in and around the pocket like a Drew Brees, I just think his physical traits don't lend themselves to him being a high-quality NFL starter."

Kiffen is a joke. Agreed. And so are his QBs... Leinart, Booty, and now Barkley.

Barkley had an A list oline, a 1st rd. WR this year, a top 10 WR next year. What's to B word or make excuses for? If he had all that talent and there are still that many questions about him then something aint adding up.

There's damn good reason to question his arm strength, which was marginal before he got hurt. His arm doesn't magically get stronger after a shoulder injury lkke that.

This may have been the worse USC team in awhile because of the sanctions. IT's also the chicken and egg when you talk about QBs and wrs. Does Barkley get credit for having 2 1,000 yard receiving? Everyone loves Johnny Football, but he is throwing to 2 future NFL wrs playing behind a possible #1 pick LT. Andrew Luck threw to multiple NFL wrs and TEs, played behind multiple NFL o linemen, and handed off to a NFL rb and FB.

I get the doubts about MB but I've seen the kid light it up. If at this time last year we were told Barkley would be available for the Bills to draft, we'd be doing backflips. Matt Barkley basically played Andrew Luck to a draw in their last 2 matchups: http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=302820024

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=313020030

The kid's not perfect but I'd take a chance on a guy with his resume. When's the last time the Bills had a QB prospect with a resume close to Barkley's? Drew Bledsoe?

This may have been the worse USC team in awhile because of the sanctions. IT's also the chicken and egg when you talk about QBs and wrs. Does Barkley get credit for having 2 1,000 yard receiving? Everyone loves Johnny Football, but he is throwing to 2 future NFL wrs playing behind a possible #1 pick LT. Andrew Luck threw to multiple NFL wrs and TEs, played behind multiple NFL o linemen, and handed off to a NFL rb and FB.

I get the doubts about MB but I've seen the kid light it up. If at this time last year we were told Barkley would be available for the Bills to draft, we'd be doing backflips. Matt Barkley basically played Andrew Luck to a draw in their last 2 matchups: http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=302820024

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=313020030

The kid's not perfect but I'd take a chance on a guy with his resume. When's the last time the Bills had a QB prospect with a resume close to Barkley's? Drew Bledsoe?

Thats right. nASSibers don`t want to here it though. And look at the weak asZ TEAMS nASSIB PLAYED. hALF IN A DOME.

I get the doubts about MB but I've seen the kid light it up. If at this time last year we were told Barkley would be available for the Bills to draft, we'd be doing backflips. Matt Barkley basically played Andrew Luck to a draw in their last 2 matchups: http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=302820024

http://espn.go.com/n...ameId=313020030

I think its also important to point out that the supporting cast for Barkley is gonna be pretty good here as far as OL and running backs go. THis team has a running game....Marrone USES his running game. We have Stevie Johnson......we need another WR threat (which I hope comes in the 2nd round) and a pass catching TE