Did anyone keep the warm fuzzy stories from 3yrs ago?

Iraq Vet

Seriously... how much good press did Chan get 3 years ago? Was there a hint of how it all eventually turned out in the intial honeymoon articles after his hire. Is there something we can read into the Doug Marrone hire and the current press clippings. I know It is not going to be the same....

If I remember right, Jerry Jones said he "regretted" firing Chan. Statements where made like "Chan was no bs kind of coach".

Doug is a different guy, but I am sick of the Bills "selling hope" and get us a super bowl already. The Bills do not deserve a honeymoon... Doug will get a press "honeymoon", and I think his "honeymoon" should be short. I am not sold on the stuff the Bills marketing staff put out anymore. Stop selling hope, just get it done.

I woud love to compare Chan, Dick, Mike, and Greg 1st week as a coach to see if there was a hint of the impending doom. The same analysis should be done after the 1st week of training camp to see if Doug is the real thing or is at least on the right track. :thumbsup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan was also hired because there really wasn't anyone else worthy or available to hire. Of course we got the good spin on things on that hire. Now, is this much different? I dunno, but at least this time we had interest from viable coaches and we CHOSE who we wanted vice settling for scraps. We'll see....

If I recall correctly, most Bills fans were very disappointed with the Chan Gailey hire. I know that I was. Especially with all the talk about Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan and Mary Schottenheimer, and Buffalo going all out on $$$$$ for a coach.

I think expectations were a lot more realistic this time around. I mean, the biggest complaints are currently coming from people who wanted Lovie Smith instead.

The only time I was truly upset and just KNEW the coach was going to fail, was when he hired Dick Jauron. He had already gotten quite some time to prove himself in the NFL and was a proven failure. His biggest supporters could only point to ONE successful season during his stint with the Lions.

Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were up-and-coming coordinators who were likely to get a chance with someone.

I remember several articles that raised some red flags regarding the Chan hire as a questionable one.

I was sitting waiting for class, when I read an article about the Bills HC being so undesirable--because, of Ralph's age/Bills lease/unknown future/Buddy Nix as GM--that they had to hire Chan

That was 3 years ago...I'll have to investigate who wrote it. I want to say it was an ESPN article.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Excellent point. Its hard for me to be enthused about Marrone especially when Gailey looked better on paper. However I am a die hard Bills fan. Best of Luck to Doug Marrone. Lets win the darn SB!!!

What the F makes you think Gailey looked better on paper?????? Certainly not his underachieving in Dallas a decade earlier or being bought out of his contract at Georgia Tech so that he couldn't do any more damage to that program!

We're fans. Most of us try to put an optimistic slant on what happens with our team. I recall the media being pretty down on the Gailey hire, though -- big difference this time around.

I still like Gailey -- just think he was in over his head as the HC, and he couldn't rely on Fitz as much as he hoped. If another NFL team hires him as their OC, he'd certainly do a decent job -- much the same way Jauron has done a decent job as the DC in Cleveland. Neither guy was a "train wreck" hire -- they just aren't top quality head coaches.

This time around, however, the Bills job was in demand, they interviewed five of the top candidates identified, and moved quickly to nab their guy. Really night and day for the organization.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Here is a post on TSW announcing Chan Gailey as HC from back in 2010. It's quite entertaining to read.

Protip: you can search by date in the advanced search, but be sure to select "The Stadium Wall Archives" from the forum list if you go back too far in time.

Edit:

Another long thread about the staff he's putting together.

Edited by joshfitz

Doug is a different guy, but I am sick of the Bills "selling hope" and get us a super bowl already. The Bills do not deserve a honeymoon... Doug will get a press "honeymoon", and I think his "honeymoon" should be short. I am not sold on the stuff the Bills marketing staff put out anymore. Stop selling hope, just get it done.

I agree... and I ain't buying what there selling yet. I'm also not passing judgement on Marrone's hiring, his assistants, who they draft, or any of the players moves that will be made at this point. I'll wait until they've played 4 games to see where they stand and make a judgement .

I've said it before.... this organization has pissed on and pissed off the fans for over a dozen seasons. Yeah, their brand is tarnished. So, I encourage all of the fans to take a wait and see attitude. Don't buy Bills tix or Bills s#it until they earn back our trust with "Ws".

Edited by Dr. Trooth

First impressions are rarely wrong :)

It was a near unanimous hate fest, and people warmed up to the hire as the acceptance phase of their mourning period.

This time, the vibe is much different.