Geno Smith Tells the Senior Bowl "No Thanks"

GS certainly had great stats... And again I only saw 3 games of his but from that I gathered (right or wrong) that his Body wouldn't hold up in the NFL, nor was he very good at reading defenses (speaking of the 2nd/ 3rd read type of stuff). Also he was easily frazzled by the blitz. Who knows though... just a gut feeling based on too many years of watching these players. I would probably go in a different direction if he were still there at the 8th pick. I do, however, agree with our dire need for a QB.

he's like 6'3 220. i'd say his body is more than alright.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why risk injury ?.....i don't blame him one bit......as of right now, he's going in the first round, even if he stiffs the combine.......all he can do now is hurt himself and his chances.....

typical for the top qb with nothing to prove. i bet he will want to do his own pro day for all of the scouts so that he can use his own receivers and have it all scripted out. i think a lot of the top guys have done the same thing over the years

Did you guys even pay attention to the second half of the season? Nothing to prove? I'd say he has a ton to prove at this point. He's looked very pedestrian lately, defenses adjusted to him and he has had no answer. I'd be shocked if he was the first QB drafted at this point and would say it's 50/50 whether he's going in the first or not right now.

Edited by Mark80

As much as we would like to see him in that scenario, it's probably a good decision by Geno. He should light up the combine/pro day.

I want to see Nassib and Dysert in the senior bowl.

All he does at the combine is shouw up and get measurements...he doesnt participate in any drills.

from 2010 - 2011, had 65% completion percentage and 55TD to 14 int.

in 2012, first 5 games completed 81.4% of passes with a 24td to 0int ratio. he struggled a bit down the stretch, but lets not make him out to be as a player "with a lot to prove".

I think it would serve you well to look at the competition of play in those games. First two season played in the Big East. 2010 terrible numbers vs. LSU and NC State out of conference. 2011 played OK vs LSU but only 2/2 Td/int and comptelely tore up a terrible Clemson D in the bowl game. 2012 started off the charts vs. mostly terrible defenses then struggled against the better Big 12 teams (except Texas was part of the hot start). Pretty much shut down by Kansas St., Iowa St. and Syracuse.

I'll throw this hypothetical out there (fully realizing that he won't be there when we pick): If Marrone's first positional concern is getting a QB to lead the franchise and both Geno Smith and Nassib are there to choose from, who do you think he's gonna take?

Interesting question, since he just handled Smith pretty easily in their bowl game, I doubt Marrone could have been too impressed.

Did you guys even pay attention to the second half of the season? Nothing to prove? I'd say he has a ton to prove at this point. He's looked very pedestrian lately, defenses adjusted to him and he has had no answer. I'd be shocked if he was the first QB drafted at this point and would say it's 50/50 whether he's going in the first or not right now.

lol..it's amazing how so many posters go to extremes. "defenses adjusted" to him? he had what amounted to 2 "bad" games (for his standards) this season. His WORST game this season he had a 101 passer rating with 1 TD and 2INT vs kansas state..that was his worst. it took 3 years for defense "to adjust" to him and yet he still put up insane stats this season.

No QB will ever succeed on these boards..one day they're great, the next they're 3rd round fodder.

Geno Smith, unless he completely BOMBS his pro day, curses one of the coaches off during his interview, or runs a 40 second 40 at the combine, will be drafted in the top 10 in this draft.

The risk/reward with this guy is too good to ignore. There are no more Jamarcus Russel contracts for rookies.

You guys are loco.

I think it would serve you well to look at the competition of play in those games. First two season played in the Big East. 2010 terrible numbers vs. LSU and NC State out of conference. 2011 played OK vs LSU but only 2/2 Td/int and comptelely tore up a terrible Clemson D in the bowl game. 2012 started off the charts vs. mostly terrible defenses then struggled against the better Big 12 teams (except Texas was part of the hot start). Pretty much shut down by Kansas St., Iowa St. and Syracuse.

:blink: Clemson D was not bad.

He had a combine 437yds, 4TD and 0 INT vs. iowa st. and cuse. hardly "shutting" down. unless he must throw for 4td every single game to be worthy of a #8 pick.

Edited by bobobonators

Andrew Luck is a generational player. Comparing the two is ridiculousness. That is like comparing Peyton Manning to Flacco.

Right so don't compare Smith's justifications for not playing int he senior bowl or partiocipating in the combine.

Smith is in the 20's on most mock draft boards, and he hasn't helped himself with his performance on the field in months.

Did you watch him at all? I swear half of his passes were screen passes. Its easy to compete a screen pass. Besides, stats are a terrible indicator of success, ie, Tommy Chang. He has poor pocket pressence too, and he often misses blitzers completely and gets blindsided. I dont like that.

He really rocketed up boards after his 700 yard 8td games which caught everyones eye, before that he wasnt a lock to be the #1 QB and I still dont think he is. I just dont think he is the end-all-be-all-#1-QB in this draft.

hes long been a favorite of the scouts and was a top prospect before that, even if you didnt know his name.

if you think its 50-50 lets lay a bet on it. ill take the first, you take the second. if its 50-50 it would be a nice fair one to wager on.

Edited by NoSaint

B-U-S-T.....

I would steer clear of this guy..way too risky.

He would have been a 3rd rounder in last years draft.

LB or best receiver in round 1.

QB round 2.

You mean, like this? LOL

BTW, I prefer

of the RD2 pick.

I took all your positional needs and they put them on our team needs board, and ran a new DRAFTSIM yesterday. Me likey!

Edited by Astrobot

lol..it's amazing how so many posters go to extremes. "defenses adjusted" to him? he had what amounted to 2 "bad" games (for his standards) this season. His WORST game this season he had a 101 passer rating with 1 TD and 2INT vs kansas state..that was his worst. it took 3 years for defense "to adjust" to him and yet he still put up insane stats this season.

No QB will ever succeed on these boards..one day they're great, the next they're 3rd round fodder.

Geno Smith, unless he completely BOMBS his pro day, curses one of the coaches off during his interview, or runs a 40 second 40 at the combine, will be drafted in the top 10 in this draft.

The risk/reward with this guy is too good to ignore. There are no more Jamarcus Russel contracts for rookies.

You guys are loco.

He had a combine 437yds, 4TD and 0 INT vs. iowa st. and cuse. hardly "shutting" down. unless he must throw for 4td every single game to be worthy of a #8 pick.

4th worst defense in the ACC, the terrible ACC, that year. And that's not even taking into account that they obviously don't have to play their own offense like most the other teams do, which was the 2nd best after Georgia Tech. So are you saying 8th out of 12 in a bad conference is not bad or are you saying the ACC is a good conference, or are you just talking out of your arse?

Edited by Mark80

You guys are loco.

He had to given WVU's sieve-like defense. In their 6 losses, WVU gave up an average of 48 points. Talk about making a team one-dimensional.

GO BILLS!!!

You mean, like this? LOL

I took all your positional needs and they put them on our team needs board, and ran a new DRAFTSIM yesterday. Me likey!

I always enjoy your insights and links, Astrobot. But we need to email the Raider contributor who has Manti going three overall to Oakland. I can't see them doing that, especially after getting burned on a top-5 pick for an LB in Curry recently.

GO BILLS!!!

Kiper has him as his #3 QB right now: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8802529/2013-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-top-5-senior-nfl-prospects-every-position

Scouts Inc. has him as the #23 player overall: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

CBS has him as the top QB going #4 overall to the Eagles: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

He's going to be a first-rounder, but my point is, if other guys shine in the Senior Bowl and combine, he could fall.

Over rated. He is the best of a bad class. Relying on proday work out and your past years work will not land you a top 5 draft spot. I see him mid level first at best. Some team may panic and take him higher but that will be a bad idea.

Did you watch him at all? I swear half of his passes were screen passes. Its easy to compete a screen pass. Besides, stats are a terrible indicator of success, ie, Tommy Chang. He has poor pocket pressence too, and he often misses blitzers completely and gets blindsided. I dont like that.

He really rocketed up boards after his 700 yard 8td games which caught everyones eye, before that he wasnt a lock to be the #1 QB and I still dont think he is. I just dont think he is the end-all-be-all-#1-QB in this draft.

You flat out have 0 idea what you're talking about. Check out his game logs season by season. He has been a beast against some really good competition. WVU has one of the worst defenses in the country & he was forced to carry that team.

If he gets in the right situation, he will be a star.

Kiper has him as his #3 QB right now: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8802529/2013-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-top-5-senior-nfl-prospects-every-position

Scouts Inc. has him as the #23 player overall: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

CBS has him as the top QB going #4 overall to the Eagles: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

He's going to be a first-rounder, but my point is, if other guys shine in the Senior Bowl and combine, he could fall.

I hope he falls right into our laps then.

considering so many teams in front of us need a QB, i doubt that he will be there when we pick at #8. that being said, if he is there at #8, it would be a complete no-brainer to draft him. i'm not absolutely in love with Geno, but he's the best QB available imo in this draft.

What if he and the DE are there at #8 (no way possible, but crazier things have happend I suppose)

What if he and the DE are there at #8 (no way possible, but crazier things have happend I suppose)

without hesitation, id be happy taking smith here still. qb is more important than DE 7 days a week and twice on sunday. Smith has potential to be very good.

Right so don't compare Smith's justifications for not playing int he senior bowl or partiocipating in the combine.

Smith is in the 20's on most mock draft boards, and he hasn't helped himself with his performance on the field in months.

At no point, did I compare those two players.