Is Mularkey a GMs worst Nightmare ? (update : Mularkey fired)

Dr. Trooth

Mularkey has a two year stint as HC of the Bills, then the GM (Donahoe) gets canned. Then Levy gets hired as GM, no one seems to be communicating with Mularkey for several days and then he walks.

Now Mularkey gets another gig as HC in Jax, and after one year, his GM gets canned and he's left in limbo again, awaiting the hiring of a GM. Meanwhile, all of his assistants are being told they can look for other jobs, if they choose to.

Is Mularkey cursed or is he either too desparate for a HC job or not smart enough to identify internal team issues and find the right fit? I mean, he had to know Donahoe was on thin ice, and he sure as hell had to know new ownership was highly likely when he took the job in Jax.

Are we looking at an 8th NFL team needing a new HC? I mean, when a new GM is hired there will he want Mularkey or accept him. Man, the Jax fans were so excited about the new owner Shad Khan.... it's looking more like his last name may have been misspelled. Is it really Shad Con?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mularkey has a two year stint as HC of the Bills, then the GM (Donahoe) gets canned. Then Levy gets hired as GM, no one seems to be communicating with Mularkey for several days and then he walks.

Now Mularkey gets another gig as HC in Jax, and after one year, his GM gets canned and he's left in limbo again, awaiting the hiring of a GM. Meanwhile, all of his assistants are being told they can look for other jobs, if they choose to.

Is Mularkey cursed or is he either too desparate for a HC job or not smart enough to identify internal team issues and find the right fit? I mean, he had to know Donahoe was on thin ice, and he sure as hell had to know new ownership was highly likely when he took the job in Jax.

Are we looking at an 8th NFL team needing a new HC? I mean, when a new GM is hired there will he want Mularkey or accept him. Man, the Jax fans were so excited about the new owner Shad Khan.... it's looking more like his last name may have been misspelled. Is it really Shad Con?

The new owner was not only in place when Mularkey was hired, he interviewed him.

There is talk that David Caldwell, Atlanta Falcons Director of player personnel is top on the Jags list as their next GM after his 3rd interview with the Jags

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/david-caldwell-has-third-interview-with-jaguars/

http://www.nfl.com/n...find-other-jobs

If that change takes place its already rumored that Caldwell doesn't want Mularkey as his HC

"I continue to hear that if Atlanta's Dave Caldwell gets the Jaguars GM job that head coach Mike Mularkey would almost certainly be out"

http://www.cbssports...b-chances-stall

at the bottom

Edited by FeartheLosing

Mularky left Buffalo because his kid was getting hasseled at school. He did wonders for Matt Ryan when he was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta. Mularky hasn't been helped in Jacksonville by the fact that Maurice Jones-Drew has missed the entire season and their old GM Gene Smith whiffed on the Blaine Gabbert pick in the first round a couple of years ago. Kind of weird that the Jacksonville General Manager has been fired and Mularky still has a job. It sucked sitting in the stands at the Ralph for that Jacksonville game this year. It was freaking monsoon that day.

Also not sure why the OP assumes that Tom Donohoe was on "thin ice" two years before he was fired. I get that people don't like Mularkey, but to just make **** up to hammer home a point is just silly. Honestly, I think the guy has just had very bad luck. As one who thinks Mularkey was likely the best coach this team has had since Wade Phillips (not saying much, I realize), he was likely wise to bail on the Bills when he did. The firing of Tom Donohoe and the transition to Russ Brandon and Marv Levy as GM's was, to me, the darkest hours in modern Bills history...Brandon was not a GM, and Marv, much as I love him, was a horrid GM...the team was as dysfunctional as a franchise could be.

So, he resurfaces a few years later, in Jackonville (where he lives) as head coach of a really bad Jags team. The new owner, the guy who hired him, is, by all accounts charismatic, forward thinking and enthusiastic. As it turns out, he, like, say, Dan Snyder before him, is also impatient, and not used to seeing immediate results when he throws down a lot of money. So, he fires the GM, and, as a result, Mularkey is left dangling.

Hopefully Jacksonville hires Caldwell, and Caldwell rememembers what a QUITTER Mularkey was with his hometown Bills and fires his worthless ass.

The fact that people believe Mularkey quit in Buffalo because his kids were harrassed at school is ludicrous....If your kid is being harrassed, and you make the kind of money a head coach does- you simply move the kid to another school, a nice private one-Problem solved! Anyone who believes Mularkey's lie is clueless...and the fact that he threw his kid under the bus with this lie, is probably the same reason why the kid ended up being a loser , who was arrested for snorting blow in public just last year.

Mularkey is a quitter, a loser, a chump...he will never, ever succeed as an NFL coach- he is cursed for quitting on Buffalo, and should be promptly fired by any GM who is trying to resurrect the Jags.

PS- The owner of The Jags is going to ride out the lease in Jacksonville and then ultimately become team that moves to London-count on it!

As much as I try, I still can't feel sorry for Mularkey. You can say what you want about the Brandon/Levy GM tandem, but they did bring in some decent players -- enough for the Ghost of Dick Jauron to win seven games repeatedly. Mularkey quit on us.

Hopefully Jacksonville hires Caldwell, and Caldwell rememembers what a QUITTER Mularkey was with his hometown Bills and fires his worthless ass.

The fact that people believe Mularkey quit in Buffalo because his kids were harrassed at school is ludicrous....If your kid is being harrassed, and you make the kind of money a head coach does- you simply move the kid to another school, a nice private one-Problem solved! Anyone who believes Mularkey's lie is clueless...and the fact that he threw his kid under the bus with this lie, is probably the same reason why the kid ended up being a loser , who was arrested for snorting blow in public just last year.

Mularkey is a quitter, a loser, a chump...he will never, ever succeed as an NFL coach- he is cursed for quitting on Buffalo, and should be promptly fired by any GM who is trying to resurrect the Jags.

PS- The owner of The Jags is going to ride out the lease in Jacksonville and then ultimately become team that moves to London-count on it!

Why so much vitriol for our former HC. Murlarkey never has given a reason in public as to why he left Buffalo. He even said so in the calls prior to the game against the Bills. When Levy took over this team, he already had Jauron in his radar and he probably forced Mularkey to make changes to his staff that he was not comfortable with (May be he wanted Jauron to be his DC and Mularkey refused). No one reallly knows what happened during that time in OBD. It would be just easy to let it go and move on with life.

Mularky did wonders for Matt Ryan when he was the offensive coordinator in Atlanta.

On the other hand, Ryan had his best season as a pro (by a considerable margin) under his new OC Dirk Koetter.

I think Mularkey's a pretty good coach.

But it's a bit ironic he chose Jacksonville as the place to resurrect his career.

Was he really on the outs in Atlanta?

Mularkey is a horrible job selector. He walked head first into that Jacksonville mess when he could've stayed another year in Atlanta and leveraged that situation into something more ideal. Instead, he ties himself to Blaine Gabbert. Fair or not he is going to be blamed for this past season, and between that, and quitting on his last HC gig, he might be branded for life with the scarlet letter. I don't know if he'll get another HC job. And he's young...,