Who really thinks Nix is in charge with this hire?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix struggled to build an identity and mesh it with Gailey's vision.

I disagree. I think Nix built a talented team with excellent depth through the draft, keeping our own talent, and very little free agency signings. Gailey didn't build an identity and mesh it.

We can argue and not know all day long whether this was a Brandon move, a Whaley move, or a move both of them jointly were in favor of. But this does not at all look like a Buddy Nix hire, although he may very well have a lot of respect for Marrone like a lot of established NFL brass.

Personally, I think both Brandon and Whaley were all over this guy, and I especially like that in one week we have gone from Ralph/Nix/Chan to Brandon/Whaley/Marrone. Young, aggressive, organized, detail oriented. Not your daddy's or Uncle Ralphy's Bills.

+1

I think the paragraph below lends credence to this, as well (originally posted by 'Punch' in the Chip Kelly thread):

"FWIW, NFL Network's Ian Rappaport hears the following from around the league regarding the Bills:

The Bills' QB situation is certainly a question mark. The other thing is, I hear nothing but good things around the league when it comes to eventual GM Doug Whaley and CEO Russ Brandon. It's rare you hear such positive reviews about, well, anything, but these two are respected. Brandon for his ability to be an administrator, Whaley for his personnel prowess. People love old Steelers alums, and Whaley would like to build in the model of what we see in Pittsburgh. The phrase I heard most often with regard to Buffalo's situation? "They are in good hands." Something you don't often hear."

+1

I think the paragraph below lends credence to this, as well (originally posted by 'Punch' in the Chip Kelly thread):

"FWIW, NFL Network's Ian Rappaport hears the following from around the league regarding the Bills:

The Bills' QB situation is certainly a question mark. The other thing is, I hear nothing but good things around the league when it comes to eventual GM Doug Whaley and CEO Russ Brandon. It's rare you hear such positive reviews about, well, anything, but these two are respected. Brandon for his ability to be an administrator, Whaley for his personnel prowess. People love old Steelers alums, and Whaley would like to build in the model of what we see in Pittsburgh. The phrase I heard most often with regard to Buffalo's situation? "They are in good hands." Something you don't often hear."

There were a few other tweets also that mentioned Whaley and Brandon but not Nix.

There were a few other tweets also that mentioned Whaley and Brandon but not Nix.

Exactly, Bob. The Marrone hiring may or may not turn out to be great but what I like about it - success or failure - is that there appears to have been a definitive culture shift at One Bills Drive with Ralph stepping aside. Fresh, young, innovative. In a word, it's "today". As in, today's NFL. Let's hope this translates to a new era and culture of winning Bills football.

That is damn close to -- shudder -- optimism, coming from you. ;)

It's because it is. Marrone has NFL experience, worked around some talented people, has been a HC and someone not what I'd call a retread.

I like that these long term decisions aren't being made by someone like Nix, who is best served scouting. That said, time will tell.

It's because it is. Marrone has NFL experience, worked around some talented people, has been a HC and someone not what I'd call a retread.

I like that these long term decisions aren't being made by someone like Nix, who is best served scouting. That said, time will tell.

Indeed. Glad to see some moves being made that both old school and new school fans can appreciate.

+1

Man what a difference a week makes.

I can't really say for sure, but they kept the offensive minded HC theme and that was Nix's original idea when he took over. The NFL is where defenses aren't allowed to defend anymore and QB is the name of the game.

Edited by Fixxxer

Coaching decision aside, Nix has done a fine job at GM. So I don't understand all the hate.

Spiller is now one of the best RB's in the league. Carrington is turning into a damn good DE. Dareus is the cog of our d line. Searcy is very good depth. Hairston has become our revolving lineman able to play tackle or guard, left or right. Urbik is our starting RG. Gilmore looks to be a stud. Cordy Glenn is our LT of the future. Brooks looks like the 2nd best CB on the team. Not to mention Bradham who looks good. Add the signing of Mario Williams, and Nick Barnett.

That's not bad for 3 years. He has done a solid job, I don't care what anyone says.

I don't see why that matters bc things can easily change once the interview process begins

Not saying it mattered. Just curious to know, and the interview process doesn't matter one bit on the Bills decisions on who they targeted 1st, or 2nd, or 3rd and so on. I have to believe they had a list of coaching prospects before they started the interview process and wonder where Marrone was on that list. That is all, not overly important, just curious.

Coaching decision aside, Nix has done a fine job at GM. So I don't understand all the hate.

Spiller is now one of the best RB's in the league. Carrington is turning into a damn good DE. Dareus is the cog of our d line. Searcy is very good depth. Hairston has become our revolving lineman able to play tackle or guard, left or right. Urbik is our starting RG. Gilmore looks to be a stud. Cordy Glenn is our LT of the future. Brooks looks like the 2nd best CB on the team. Not to mention Bradham who looks good. Add the signing of Mario Williams, and Nick Barnett.

That's not bad for 3 years. He has done a solid job, I don't care what anyone says.

I notice you didn't mention his record, or how he failed to draft and develop a QB in 3 years, or how he made Fitz the QB of the future, or how he traded Marshawn for sh*t, or how he has drafted exactly one impact player in 3 drafts. I could keep going but he's gonna be fazed out soon so what's the point.

+1

Dunno who Ian Rappoport is, but if he said it, it must be true.

Rubbish. Just plain ole rubbish.

For one, many of you posters helped "run" Lynch out of town. Be glad Buddy was able to get something for him. As for Fitz, he had many of you "bamboozled" into thinking he was more than a backup off of 6 games. His "QB Guru", Chan Gailey, made Buddy believe that he can fix Fitzpatrick through his mechanics and a full-time coach. As far as "impact" players, the jury is still out. Remember, many thought Spiller was a bust!