Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the hire:

9] This is not a marketing hire at all, and it's really foolish to think so.

Agreed. If anything, it's an anti-marketing hire--which gives me hope that Brandon is indeed disengaged from Ralph's orbit and is confident that Marrone's the right guy.

I liked the Youtube video on his introduction to the SU fans a few posters have linked. You have to go all the way back to Greggo to get a HC with something of a fiery personality at OBD--enough of the somnolent bystander types.

Also the fact that he ran a pro offense at SU, rather than a gimicky college spread scheme (that I have doubts about working in the NFL).

His NFL pedegree should give him good connections to build a staff, and the fact the Bills made the decision now gives him time to start filling it out (unlike the Chan hiring, which was very late and left the cupboard bare for good candidates).

Looking forward to the presser...

I was in the Lovie camp. Hiring Lovie would have been like hiring Chuck Knox. Hiring Knox really settled down the coaching department after all the previous HC the Bills just had. You didn't go into the season or any particular game thinking you were unprepared.

What I don't get about Marrone is he was 1-3 to start the season and most of the SU football fans I would have been happy to get rid of Marrone. He goes on a win streak and all of a sudden he is a hot commodity for a pro job. I feel like we just hired the Rob Johnson of coaches.

And to those that say he turned the football program around at SU, he did. He turned it from what was really a dead program to a mediocre one in a weak football conference.

All negativity aside, I can only wish him the best of luck.

I wanted Lovie as well, but two points that make me think about this hire are an article from Don Banks about Andy Reid: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130104/andy-reid/index.html

History isn't on Lovie's side either. I still wanted him, but it's an interesting point.

The other point made was that a lot of 'hot' college coaches come from big time programs that get better players than their competition. Kelly, for example, get big time players and Oregon was no slouch before he got there. Marrone took crap and had some success.

See (lil) Donte Whitnner of the SF Niners. For a example on how wrong you are. In fact it was with Da Browns i believe.

An exception proves the rule? It's not impossible, but it's quite rare in the NFL.

I removed the other part of your post because it didn't seem relevant to the NFL. Not sure how many wall street brokers are coaching in College or the NFL.

First of all, in what way is Cleveland a more attractive offer for Marrone? Why even worry about it. Secondly, why couldn't we look into Lovie Smith as our DC? If Cleveland and AZ both pass on him, he can either be a coordinator or go to the college game. Why not go to Buffalo who runs a 43 and has some talent in place (at least on paper).

I have only one word to say regarding today's announcement...

OOPIE FREAKIN' DOOPIE!!!!

I am thrilled beyond words that we landed Marrone. It shows some real chutzpah on Brandon's part - he had to know Marrone wasn't the consensus fan-favorite candidate, yet he eschewed the popular choices and went with whom he (and presumably Whaley) felt was the best candidate to lead the Bills back to respectability, success, and the Superbowl.

Also couldn't be more pleased to see the continuation of the "youth-movement" at OBD - replacing the aging, southern, good ol' boy, front-office & sideline leadership with some solid Central NY (Brandon) & Western PA (Whaley) management, and a Bronx-native head coach with CNY (Syracuse alum/player/head coach) ties.

This is all, IMHO, great news for the fans, the team, and the long-term future of this Buffalo NY franchise...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Words of wisdom...

First of all, in what way is Cleveland a more attractive offer for Marrone? Why even worry about it. Secondly, why couldn't we look into Lovie Smith as our DC? If Cleveland and AZ both pass on him, he can either be a coordinator or go to the college game. Why not go to Buffalo who runs a 43 and has some talent in place (at least on paper).

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility, but the team passed on him as coach. It could be hard to swallow and take the DC position. Could he work with Marrone? There's a lot of questions that I think make it...difficult to get him here as DC.

Schefter on Sportscenter said Marrone looked at all the game films from The Bills, Browns and other teams courting him and his choice came down to the team that had THE MOST TALENT :flirt:

I wanted Lovie as well, but two points that make me think about this hire are an article from Don Banks about Andy Reid: http://sportsillustr...reid/index.html

History isn't on Lovie's side either. I still wanted him, but it's an interesting point.

The other point made was that a lot of 'hot' college coaches come from big time programs that get better players than their competition. Kelly, for example, get big time players and Oregon was no slouch before he got there. Marrone took crap and had some success.

Some great points and also remember.. He HAS NFL experience. I wanted Lovie, because of him being a D-man kind of guy but am now ok with this. BUT we have no idea who his OC and DC are going to be just yet.

Sal is alone in suggesting Marrone is "in play" outside of Buffalo.

Is there a link to where Brandon says there is an agreement in principal or anything along those lines after 10:30 because that is when Brandon tells Sal that Marrone is still a candidate elsewhere. Sorry if my facts are dated...or wasn't paying attention as someone suggested.

Secondly, why couldn't we look into Lovie Smith as our DC? If Cleveland and AZ both pass on him, he can either be a coordinator or go to the college game. Why not go to Buffalo who runs a 43 and has some talent in place (at least on paper).

Don't forget about San Diego, which is a much more attractive job than either and they want him bad

One thing I noticed is that while Marrone was the Saints OC from 2006-2008 Reggie Bush (a poor man's CJ Spiller) had a ton of catches.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9588/reggie-bush

88 in 2006 and similar paces the next 2 years although in less games played. He's never had 50 catches in any year since, including 2 more with the saints after Marrone left. Obviously, Marrone wasn't calling plays and it's tough to tell if he had any input in that trend, but I found it interesting nonetheless. Getting Spiller 80 catches in 2013 sounds good to me.