Wait a Second...Two Crucial Things Overlooked On the new Coach !

rcatty

We have at least two special circumstances that have to be addressed in a new coach. Of course we want a good leader, and overall football guy. But wait. We just don't have a losing team. We have a "culture of losing". If you will, a "mentality of expecting to lose, and being losers", that must be overcome by a new head coach. It's not simply poor players, and poor coaching, and a matter of upgrading both. We need a head coach who brings with him a "degree of instant respectability" that players will "buy into". We must have a coach who expects to win because he is a winner. In that regard, names like Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Cowher make alot of sense. But those guys won't come to Buffalo, and besides they claim they are retired from coaching. The second thing we need in a head coach, given the fact that we must draft 1-2 QB's, is a guy that will properly develope a system for these new guys. In that sense, Lovie Smith, a great defensive minded coach, would not work for us. So who is out there that would bring instant respect, is a proven winner, and can develope a system that would bring young QB's along ? Mike Holgrem. I don't think that there is anyone else out there who brings the aforestated to the table. Hiring him makes the best sense, since he says he wants to return, is out of a job, is a proven Super Bowl winner (3 rings, two as San Fran offensive coordinator, one as head coach Green Bay) might see Buffalo as a challenge, developed QB's Steve Young, and Brett Farve and is likely going to be overlooked by other searches. If he could fall to us, it just might be the answer for our team.

He might be yesterday's coach, but he is a winning yesterday's coach ! Stop and thing what he brings. We need new QB's. Who is going to develop them? We need a proven winner to bust though our culture of losing.

We have at least two special circumstances that have to be addressed in a new coach. Of course we want a good leader, and overall football guy. But wait. We just don't have a losing team. We have a "culture of losing". If you will, a "mentality of expecting to lose, and being losers", that must be overcome by a new head coach. It's not simply poor players, and poor coaching, and a matter of upgrading both. We need a head coach who brings with him a "degree of instant respectability" that players will "buy into". We must have a coach who expects to win because he is a winner. In that regard, names like Jimmy Johnson, and Bill Cowher make alot of sense. But those guys won't come to Buffalo, and besides they claim they are retired from coaching. The second thing we need in a head coach, given the fact that we must draft 1-2 QB's, is a guy that will properly develope a system for these new guys. In that sense, Lovie Smith, a great defensive minded coach, would not work for us. So who is out there that would bring instant respect, is a proven winner, and can develope a system that would bring young QB's along ? Mike Holgrem. I don't think that there is anyone else out there who brings the aforestated to the table. Hiring him makes the best sense, since he says he wants to return, is out of a job, is a proven Super Bowl winner (3 rings, two as San Fran offensive coordinator, one as head coach Green Bay) might see Buffalo as a challenge, developed QB's Steve Young, and Brett Farve and is likely going to be overlooked by other searches. If he could fall to us, it just might be the answer for our team.

..Holmgren left Green Bay for a reason...they wanted him out and both Seattle and Cleveland did not improve. He is way over rated and fits the mold of all the Bills hires... He is the worst case for the Bills

He might be yesterday's coach, but he is a winning yesterday's coach ! Stop and thing what he brings. We need new QB's. Who is going to develop them? We need a proven winner to bust though our culture of losing.

Holmgren didn't bust through Cleveland's culture of losing. Why would our situation be different?

He didn't coach in Cleveland. Everywhere he coached he has won. Do you realize he has a 161-111 won record !

Holmgren is a relic with a good resume, but a relic none the less. His ability to assemble a great staff got him to where he was. Favre helped a little bit too.

I don't care how he has won. I don't care if he won due to a great staff, or having fat cheeks. The fact is he is a winner, something we need around here.

Holmgren didn't bust through Cleveland's culture of losing. Why would our situation be different?

He didn't coach in Cleveland.

..Holmgren left Green Bay for a reason...they wanted him out and both Seattle and Cleveland did not improve. He is way over rated and fits the mold of all the Bills hires... He is the worst case for the Bills

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I see a Super Bowl ring on one finger from Green Bay, and two others as Offensive Coordinator from San Francisco. Furthermore, teams dumping coaches is no criterion for judging the value of a coach. The man also took Seattle to a Super Bowl berth.

IDK about Holmgren being the best option at this point but I wouldn't mind Dungy, if we are going to go to a superbowl winner (which we shouldn't because they don't tend to do it twice with 2 different teams (oh yeah and I don't want a tampa 2 again lol).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I see a Super Bowl ring on one finger from Green Bay, and two others as Offensive Coordinator from San Francisco. Furthermore, teams dumping coaches is no criterion for judging the value of a coach. The man also took Seattle to a Super Bowl berth.

Being an NFL head coach is a young man's game. Guys like Tom Coughlin are the exception. The head coaches who win Superbowls are generally the younger ones who have that hunger and drive to achieve that goal. Holmgren is a bored, ex-head coach who's just looking for something to do and be relevant again. The guy's been retired, he wanted to become a GM, now he wants to be a head coach again. Please, Holmgren is NOT what we are looking for. We want a hungry guy who wants a championship.

But even with TC, he's coaching today, lets him walk away for a couple years and try and comeback, then it would eve nbe tougher.

Being an NFL head coach is a young man's game. Guys like Tom Coughlin are the exception. The head coaches who win Superbowls are generally the younger ones who have that hunger and drive to achieve that goal. Holmgren is a bored, ex-head coach who's just looking for something to do and be relevant again. The guy's been retired, he wanted to become a GM, now he wants to be a head coach again. Please, Holmgren is NOT what we are looking for. We want a hungry guy who wants a championship.

LOL. Holmgren is washed up. Just get a Franchise QB in here and the rest will figure itself out...

How do people come up with this stuff. The Bills players do not go in to their games expecting to lose.... They have a losing record because they still lack key people on coaching end and player end.

I happen to believe any coach, walking into the Bills situation, who DEMANDED his players play up to a certain level - and doing so by having no loyalties to any players, but always looking for upgrades - and by getting rid of guys who aren't "all in". Its an attitude, a standard - that quality in a coach who is very known or very little known will change the culture. I'm gunning for Chip Kelly. He is the guy who sounds to me most likely capable of creating a sustainable winner.

He didn't coach in Cleveland. Everywhere he coached he has won. Do you realize he has a 161-111 won record !

I don't care how he has won. I don't care if he won due to a great staff, or having fat cheeks. The fact is he is a winner, something we need around here.

He didn't coach in Cleveland.

This seems like its turned into a 1 man argument and a 1 legged a$$ kicking.

It seems almost all dont share the posters view that Holmgren would be a good hire.

As far as Seattle goes, since when is taking a team that had never been to a Super Bowl to a Super Bowl no improvement? As far as Cleveland goes, he was not Head Coach there.

It seems almost all dont share the posters view that Holmgren would be a good hire.

Count me in almost all that don't share the mojority opinion on Holmgren. He's only 64 for one, that's not Methuluza age. The defending Super Bowl Champs HC is older than that. Bill Bellyache is no spring chicken either.

I don't care how old a guys is if he can win and Mike can.

As many young coaches fail as old ones. When he went to Green Bay he got Favre from Atlanta who was way down on their depth chart. When he got to Seattle he got Matt Hasselbeck from Green Bay who was way down on their depth chart. He turned both these guys into SB QBs.

I keep hearing we need a franchise QB. Coach Holmgren has a knack from finding these guys even when he doesn't have a high draft pick.

Count me firmly on the Holmgren band wagon.

Holmgren is a jerk. No way. Besides I totally expect that a soon to be GM and President in their mid to early 40"s will want a coach around the same age.

That probably knocks Chip out. He's going to turn 50 this year.

Edited by reddogblitz