Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

And I love that! He was relentless in his search for a franchise QB. Nobody expects Buddy and his staff to be perfect. All fans deserve is a strategic vision, which Buddy has shown he lacks. Hard to blame him, as he's best suited as a scout and not as a general manager.

I don't intend to get into this fight, but isn't building the OL and DL the way Buddy has over the past three years a strategic vision? Seems to me he has had a plan and followed it in that regard. His biggest error, it seems, is in trusting his HC that they could "survive" with Fitz until they found the right guy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what bothers me the most. You guys act like Nix and Gailey and Whaley have no idea what is going on in the world and in the NFL, and that they hate the QB position. It's just stupid, IMO.

Nix wanted to draft a QB, there wasn't a franchise guy available at each time he chose. As stated he wanted and would have drafted Newton. EVERY single pick in every round there was likely a QB he liked but didn't love as much as another player at a different position, and he decided, based on every factor, to go a different direction. It was a huge mistake because Fitz floundered, and Tyler Thigpen (whom his coach loved) and Vince Young and Tavaris Jackson floundered.

He doesn't deserve the job any more, and is being phased out because his selections were just not good enough, and his coach was just not good enough, and his QB choice was just not good enough. So he deserves to go. But 100 things went into all of that happening and he is not a total idiot, or uninformed about the QB position or a doddering old fool. He made reasonable calculations that didn't work out so he needs to go and that is what is happening.

You are mischaracterizing my position. Of course the brain trust realized the need for a different franchise qb. A blind monkey could come to the same conclusion. What they couldn't do is find a reasonable option within a reasonable period of time when there were a number of opportunities to address the qb position.

You bring up the Newton scenario. He was the #1 pick in the draft. Are you suggesting that you should only draft an elite qb prospect who will be at the very top of the draft? What if your franchise continues to be mediocre for a generation and drafts at the 8 to 12 spot year after year? Do you not then try secure other very good qb prospects that do fall in your drafting range?

Kapernick and Dalton and Alex Smith would all have got absolutely murdered on this team, and would have sucked balls.

Why are you concluding that Kaepernick and Dalton couldn't be successful in Buffalo? They would have had a good running game and a decent OL and without question they both would have been a dramatic upgrades from the current erratic and weak armed starting qb.

Buddy and his staff made a decision that they were not going to draft a qb (Levi Brown doesn't count as a serious qb pick) until they found the special talent. They felt that they didn't find it. Well, San Fran did. So did Cincinatti. So did Seattle. While the Bills waited for an opportunity other franchises drafting behind us seized on our misjudgments.

As I noted in my prior post I'm not fixating on any particular pick. I'm taking a wider three year view. If you can't address the qb position in that time frame either through the draft or free agency then your strategy to upgrade the team in a meaningful way is futile. The issue of Nix's performance isn't only directed at the qb position but it is his drafting record in general. It is lackluster. When you are residing near the bottom you don't move up by having lackluster drafts. If you don't believe me then just look at the three year record.

And Wilson was Schneider's third swing at a QB in three years. His first was a complete washout. His second didn't beat out a rookie 3rd round pick (who was not lighting it up, he was just playing efficiently). The Bills new GM is 41 and spent 9 years with the Steelers in similar capacities.

And I'm not being an apologist. I think Buddy should be gone.

Then why don't you think Carroll was heavily involved in the Wilson pick? I will ask this of bandit too. Why give the GM all the credit?

And, bandit, I guess I consider "immediate" pieces of 2 preseason games ,considering no one else thought this kid was a starter. I give credit to Carroll recognizing at the very early stage what he had in Wilson and making a bold move (it was widely regarded as such--even you can't argue otherwise).

I don't intend to get into this fight, but isn't building the OL and DL the way Buddy has over the past three years a strategic vision? Seems to me he has had a plan and followed it in that regard. His biggest error, it seems, is in trusting his HC that they could "survive" with Fitz until they found the right guy.

Buddy's three year strategic vision (as you called it) was flawed. There is no reason why the qb position can't be addressed during the rebuild process. Nix drafted Aaron Williams, a CB, in the second round. Would Kaepernick or Dalton been a more impactful pick in accelerating the rebuilding process? Would Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins been a more productive pick that enhanced the rebuilding process more than a "track" receiver who possibly could have been selected in the next round?

My objection is with framing the rebuilding process as a process that mandates that the qb issue should be addressed at the backside of the rebuild. That is not the case. In the era of free agency and lower teams drafting first there is no excuse for a franchise to be stuck in the mud after three years. Nix had opportunities to address the qb position. He made draft judgments that resulted in us continuing to have a void at that critical position. His passitivity on this issue allowed other teams to capitalize on our exasperating misjudgments.

You don't think that the Bengals aren't happy that we bypassed on Dalton in the second round? You don't think that the 49ers aren't happy that we bypassed on Kaepernick in the second round? You don't think that the Seahawks aren't happy that we bypassed on Wilson in the third round? You don't think that the Redskins aren't happy that we bypassed on Kirk Cousins with our thrid round pick. (They drafted him in the fourth round ahead of us. ) All the prior noted qbs are better qbs than our franchise qb. All these qbs would have made the Bills a better team. Our qb search continues and continues. One lost season after another going on for more than a generation. Let's have some accountability for a change!

You are mischaracterizing my position. Of course the brain trust realized the need for a different franchise qb. A blind monkey could come to the same conclusion. What they couldn't do is find a reasonable option within a reasonable period of time when there were a number of opportunities to address the qb position.

You bring up the Newton scenario. He was the #1 pick in the draft. Are you suggesting that you should only draft an elite qb prospect who will be at the very top of the draft? What if your franchise continues to be mediocre for a generation and drafts at the 8 to 12 spot year after year? Do you not then try secure other very good qb prospects that do fall in your drafting range?

Why are you concluding that Kaepernick and Dalton couldn't be successful in Buffalo? They would have had a good running game and a decent OL and without question they both would have been a dramatic upgrades from the current erratic and weak armed starting qb.

Buddy and his staff made a decision that they were not going to draft a qb (Levi Brown doesn't count as a serious qb pick) until they found the special talent. They felt that they didn't find it. Well, San Fran did. So did Cincinatti. So did Seattle. While the Bills waited for an opportunity other franchises drafting behind us seized on our misjudgments.

As I noted in my prior post I'm not fixating on any particular pick. I'm taking a wider three year view. If you can't address the qb position in that time frame either through the draft or free agency then your strategy to upgrade the team in a meaningful way is futile. The issue of Nix's performance isn't only directed at the qb position but it is his drafting record in general. It is lackluster. When you are residing near the bottom you don't move up by having lackluster drafts. If you don't believe me then just look at the three year record.

Exactly correct John... :thumbsup:

The QB situation is just the easy way to judge Nix as a GM because it was the most obvious, and damaging flaw in his 3 year tenure...

But 15 Draft Picks over 3 years, Mario Williams, and Mark Anderson for a Defense that finished historically bad...Historically bad...Coaching alone cannot crate historically bad...15 Draft Picks and not one difference maker yet...Add that to the QB blunders, and you've got the most blessed old school scout in the history of the NFL...Blessed that he still has a job, and a boss that seems to be completely snowed by his bullcrap shtick...

Obviously the lack of adequate QB play is the topic here, but it cannot hide the fact,a KOKBILLS points out, that Buddy's strategic mission to create a dominant defense has been a failure thus far, despite the significant resources (dollars and draft picks) devoted to it. It's not all on Wanny/Edwards (although those were absolutley predictable failures picked by Buddy), I don't believe there is nearly as much talent on the D as others here believe.

Edited by Mr. WEO

And I love that! He was relentless in his search for a franchise QB. Nobody expects Buddy and his staff to be perfect. All fans deserve is a strategic vision, which Buddy has shown he lacks. Hard to blame him, as he's best suited as a scout and not as a general manager.

I hope he's the answer. But as I stated in an earlier post:

Whaley is the Assistant GM. He heads scouting. He, along with Nix, is responsible for the very dubious gradings that result in the ill-advised draft day decisions that continue to plague this franchise. The assumption that a Nix-to-Whaley transition will fix all problems implies that Whaley had little to do with the dubious draft decisions. Do you truly believe that? Do you believe that Whaley, despite working right alongside Nix, bears little responsibility for the shoddy decision making? I sure don't that but hope I'm wrong. :)

Whaley spent much more time pro scouting than college scouting. Less than one third of his time was spent college scouting according to him. He was the pro personnel guy, and he scouted the Bills themselves, and he worked on the salary cap, and he spent two days a week college scouting. Plus, he is the loyal soldier type of guy, offering opinions and supporting his boss for whatever he is told needs to be done. So no, I don't hold him responsible I hold Nix responsible.

I think Whaley has a great future. Listening to him talk is very impressive. I heard a national guy a couple days ago on GR, Rappaport talk about him as he said he knew the name but didn't know much about him so he started asking around the league and universally Whaley was thought of as one of the up and comers, no one had anything at all bad to say about him. Any new GM brought in is not only going to be a huge question mark, but is going to have to prove himself. I like this guy.

I also think that the big name coaches, and even lesser coaches, aren't turning the Bills down for interviews like they did three years ago because of two reasons: 1] Nix built a much better roster than the Bills had three years ago and 2] Whaley is there as the heir apparent.

Whaley spent much more time pro scouting than college scouting. Less than one third of his time was spent college scouting according to him. He was the pro personnel guy, and he scouted the Bills themselves, and he worked on the salary cap, and he spent two days a week college scouting. Plus, he is the loyal soldier type of guy, offering opinions and supporting his boss for whatever he is told needs to be done. So no, I don't hold him responsible I hold Nix responsible.

I think Whaley has a great future. Listening to him talk is very impressive. I heard a national guy a couple days ago on GR, Rappaport talk about him as he said he knew the name but didn't know much about him so he started asking around the league and universally Whaley was thought of as one of the up and comers, no one had anything at all bad to say about him. Any new GM brought in is not only going to be a huge question mark, but is going to have to prove himself. I like this guy.

I also think that the big name coaches, and even lesser coaches, aren't turning the Bills down for interviews like they did three years ago because of two reasons: 1] Nix built a much better roster than the Bills had three years ago and 2] Whaley is there as the heir apparent.

The fact that Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, and Ken Whisenhunt all actually interviews with the Bills where as 3 years ago, top coaching candidates were avoiding the position is evidence that actual NFL coaches that actual coach in the NFL, not post on a message board, believe the franchise is in a better spot than it was 3 years.

Who else but Buddy Nix is responsible for the actual real world improvement measurement by actual interest in actual experienced Head Coaching candidates?

Yes we didn't win but the 2008 Buffalo Bills were a laughing stock with no building blocks.

The 2012 Buffalo Bills are losers with building blocks and a FO that has garnered much more respect.

You think any of these coaches are salivated at a D-Line with Kyle WIlliams, Mario Williams, and Marcell Dareus? Throw in CJ Spiller, Eric Wood, and Cordy Glen.

Plus you get to franchise either Byrd or Levitre.

Compare that to the utter crapfest on the roster after the 2009 season and you can see why the franchise is in better shape.

You don't think Lovie Smith, Horton or Wheisenhunt would salivate at that D-Line and the things you can do with it.

LBs are much easier to come by, you can get a 6'2" 250-270 guy anywhere. You can't get a 6'8" 290 lb specimen like Mario Williams, or an athletic Big Man like Marcell Dareus anywhere. Those guys know what to do with those types of players.

You can piss and moan that the Bills haven't won more games or that they continued the playoff drought but you're being either blind or obtuse if you content that the talent on the roster is worse than in 2009.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Exactly correct John... :thumbsup:

The QB situation is just the easy way to judge Nix as a GM because it was the most obvious, and damaging flaw in his 3 year tenure...

But 15 Draft Picks over 3 years, Mario Williams, and Mark Anderson for a Defense that finished historically bad...Historically bad...Coaching alone cannot crate historically bad...15 Draft Picks and not one difference maker yet...Add that to the QB blunders, and you've got the most blessed old school scout in the history of the NFL...Blessed that he still has a job, and a boss that seems to be completely snowed by his bullcrap shtick...

In the spirit of the New Year and for the sake of continuity I will continue with my campaign to annoy NYC Bill with the loud proclamation that Spiller was Buddy's only draft pick that was a serious difference maker. A lackluster drafting record for a lagging franchise offers little chance to move up the ranks.

Nix's record is a record that falls behind the Jauron/Levy record. Let's not even bother to review Chan/Nix's record against winning teams. It is worse than being bad; it is embarrassing.

The fact that Lovie Smith, Chip Kelly, and Ken Whisenhunt all actually interviews with the Bills where as 3 years ago, top coaching candidates were avoiding the position is evidence that actual NFL coaches that actual coach in the NFL, not post on a message board, believe the franchise is in a better spot than it was 3 years.

Who else but Buddy Nix is responsible for the actual real world improvement measurement by actual interest in actual experienced Head Coaching candidates?

Yes we didn't win but the 2008 Buffalo Bills were a laughing stock with no building blocks.

The 2012 Buffalo Bills are losers with building blocks and a FO that has garnered much more respect.

You think any of these coaches are salivated at a D-Line with Kyle WIlliams, Mario Williams, and Marcell Dareus? Throw in CJ Spiller, Eric Wood, and Cordy Glen.

Compare that to the utter crapfest on the roster after the 2009 season and you can see why the franchise is in better shape.

You don't think Lovie Smith, Horton or Wheisenhunt would salivate at that D-Line and the things you can do with it.

LBs are much easier to come by, you can get a 6'2" 250-270 guy anywhere. You can't get a 6'8" 290 lb specimen like Mario Williams, or an athletic Big Man like Marcell Dareus anywhere. Those guys know what to do with those types of players.

You can piss and moan that the Bills haven't won more games or that they continued the playoff drought but you're being either blind or obtuse if you content that the talent on the roster is worse than in 2009.

I totally agree that the roster is much better than before Buddy took over as GM.

A lot of intellect, good points, and words.

Wasted on spilt milk.

Unless there is an understanding as to why the Bills have been historically bad there will never be meaningful change for the better. It isn't about grousing over what has been done before. It is really about learning from your ingrained institutional mistakes and doing something positive and different.

What's even worse than Chan/Nix's three year record is the continuous bad product (performance) on the field. Over the past number of years the Bills record against winning teams is in the 10-15% range. That is sad. That is unacceptable. One way of breaking through this lethargy is holding people accountable.

What's even worse than Chan/Nix's three year record is the continuous bad product (performance) on the field. Over the past number of years the Bills record against winning teams is in the 10-15% range. That is sad. That is unacceptable. One way of breaking through this lethargy is holding people accountable.

And Chan is gone, and Nix is gone in a matter of months, replaced by a highly respected young guy from a winning organization.

Earlier misfires either by GM or coach and their mistakes have nothing to do with this last staff. In fact, it's fair to say that Nix was worse in some ways because he wasn't hamstrung by many or any purse-strings that his predecessors may have been.

It has gotten to the point of absurdity. Some peopl are now judging Nix as doing an acceptable job because there are numerous candidates for the HC position for a historically bad franchise. How low a bar can one set for determining success? The Bills' record during his three year tenure as a GM is 16-32. His record against AFC East opponents is 4-14. His record against winning teams is in the 10-15% range. By any measuring stick his drafting has been mediocre (trying to be kind). One of the first major decisions he was required to make was the hiring of a HC. He hired a retread HC who lived up to his prior record.

There is nothing wrong in demanding accountability from the highest ranking person in the football side of the franchise. Just to cite two games the San Fran and Seattle games clearly demonstrated to anyone who watched the game with their eyes open that the Bills are a feeble team when compared to the upper echelon teams in the league. That is not progress. It might be for you but it certainly isn't for me.

And Chan is gone, and Nix is gone in a matter of months, replaced by a highly respected young guy from a winning organization.

Why do you say that Nix is gone in a matter of months? In my view Brandon should have announced at his inaugural press conference that Whaley was assuming the GM position and that the Bills were now moving in a new direction i.e. finally moving out of the ice age and into the modern age of doing business in the NFL. You start fresh by starting fresh at the start.

Earlier misfires either by GM or coach and their mistakes have nothing to do with this last staff. In fact, it's fair to say that Nix was worse in some ways because he wasn't hamstrung by many or any purse-strings that his predecessors may have been.

Go back and read what I have stated all along. We are basically in accord on the Nix issue. Buddy's dismal record is his own record. It has been made without the encumberances that the other mediocre decision-makers had to contend with. What a lot of members on this board don't understand is that there is a qualitative difference between being a scout and GM. A scout evaluates talent on an individual basis while a GM has to focus on building a roster. A good checkers player doesn't necessarily make a good chess player. One position calls for singularity while the other position is more multi-dimensional. Buddy is a checkers player competing against astute chess players. It's not even a contest!

Edited by JohnC

What a lot of members on this board don't understand is that there is a qualitative difference between being a scout and GM. A scout evaluates talent on an individual basis while a GM has to focus on building a roster. A good checkers player doesn't necessarily make a good chess player. One position calls for singularity while the other position is more multi-dimensional. Buddy is a checkers player competing against astute chess players. It's not even a content!

This is dynamic is precisely what the common fan occupying the majority of this thread does not comprehend.

Edited by Dawgg

Why do you say that Nix is gone in a matter of months? In my view Brandon should have announced at his inaugural press conference that Whaley was assuming the GM position and that the Bills were now moving in a new direction i.e. finally moving out of the ice age and into the modern age of doing business in the NFL. You start fresh by starting fresh at the start.

Because Nix and his staff have done most of the college scouting, not Whaley, and I imagine that Ralph insisted on keeping Buddy on for awhile while they transitioned. Even though you may hate him. Nix still enjoys a good reputation around the league from everything I have heard and read.

If it were up to me, I want Buddy gone right after the draft. I wouldn't mind Whaley having the final say in the choice, but I'm not sure how it will play out. Probably Nix will have the pick.

I think you're absolutely insane if you don't think the roster of the Bills is far more attractive now than it was when Nix took over and inherited the team. And that is the reason coaches are not turning down interviews. The OL had two good players. We now have 4-5. The DL had 1 good player (when Schobel decided to retire). We now have 3-4. That alone is an enormous change.

Because Nix and his staff have done most of the college scouting, not Whaley, and I imagine that Ralph insisted on keeping Buddy on for awhile while they transitioned. Even though you may hate him. Nix still enjoys a good reputation around the league from everything I have heard and read.

If it were up to me, I want Buddy gone right after the draft. I wouldn't mind Whaley having the final say in the choice, but I'm not sure how it will play out. Probably Nix will have the pick.

I think you're absolutely insane if you don't think the roster of the Bills is far more attractive now than it was when Nix took over and inherited the team. And that is the reason coaches are not turning down interviews. The OL had two good players. We now have 4-5. The DL had 1 good player (when Schobel decided to retire). We now have 3-4. That alone is an enormous change.

It's called letting the guy go with class. Not unlike how they cut ties with Modrak. Plus, as you've mentioned, he's heavily vested in the scouting and other preparations for the draft, so there is ample reason to keep him on for that reason alone. The fact that Whaley is on the HC Hiring Tour is all anyone needs to know.

GO BILLS!!!

You are being very unfair to me. I don't hate Nix. I don't understand why you would say such an ugly thing? My negative commments about him are over his judgments and record. The underlying theme of my comments about him, harsh as they may be, relate to his record on the job. Holding someone accountable for their record has absolutely nothing to do with personal animosity.

The notion that the Bills are better than when Nix first takes over is meaningless. It's not how good you are compared to yourself. The real issue is how good are you against your competition. If the Bills improved under Nix and the teams ahead of us improved more, what have you really accomplished? If the teams behind you improved at a higher rate than the rate you have improved at are you really improving your position.

The real (only) measure of how good you are is the record. Under Nix the Bills are 16-32. Against AFC East teams the Bills are 4-14. During Nix's tenure the Bills have beaten teams with winning records in the 10-15% range. Did you watch the San Fran or Seattle games? How do you think our roster ranked aganst them?

You can use whatever measuring stick you want to rate the Bills. I'll stick with the real measuring stick: The record.

You are being very unfair to me. I don't hate Nix. I don't understand why you would say such an ugly thing? My negative commments about him are over his judgments and record. The underlying theme of my comments about him, harsh as they may be, relate to his record on the job. Holding someone accountable for their record has absolutely nothing to do with personal animosity.

The notion that the Bills are better than when Nix first takes over is meaningless. It's not how good you are compared to yourself. The real issue is how good are you against your competition. If the Bills improved under Nix and the teams ahead of us improved more, what have you really accomplished? If the teams behind you improved at a higher rate than the rate you have improved at are you really improving your position.

The real (only) measure of how good you are is the record. Under Nix the Bills are 16-32. Against AFC East teams the Bills are 4-14. During Nix's tenure the Bills have beaten teams with winning records in the 10-15% range. Did you watch the San Fran or Seattle games? How do you think our roster ranked aganst them?

You can use whatever measuring stick you want to rate the Bills. I'll stick with the real measuring stick: The record.

:thumbsup:

It truly is appalling the degree to which Buffalo Bills fans have lowered their standards as a result of a decade of roster mismanagement, croneyism and a lack of accountability.

Where were you these past 40 pages???