Ken Whisenhunt for HC?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whisenhunt is the perfect example of why coaching in the NFL is overrated.

The guy nearly wins the Super Bowl when he has HOF QB Kurt Warner playing, and then can't put together a decent season without him.

Any semi-competent coach can win in the NFL with a great QB.

Yes, Warner vs Skelton will effect a coaches record. The rest is nonsense.

And almost no coach wins consistently without one.

Remind me of all the great qbs winning rings with terrible coaches?

He is proabably the most capable coach we have had since Wade Phillips.

Dozed off.

What I miss?

The fact that we're debating whether Wisenhunt, who lost to us this year, and his offensive line coach, who presided over the worst offensive line in football, would be capable replacements to Gailey is deeply depressing and a bit disturbing. :cry:

Is there anything else you'd like to share with the group?

:)

I don't understand the hostility to Wisenhunt, although I admit that I don't know that much about him. Seems like he is a pretty good HC who fell victim to some really bad QB play this year. As far as I can tell, he took a perpetually soft team and turned them into a pretty tough one. I'd like to hear from someone from AZ who follows the team more closely though.

I don't have a problem with Whisenhunt. But guys like him are a dime a dozen--sort of an average to above-average offensive coordinator. He's not really all that different than Gailey, Mularkey, Haley, etc.

Remind me of all the great qbs winning rings with terrible coaches?

The one that comes to mind is Barry Switzer.

The point is, the NFL is a QB league. I don't care how good a coach you are, you aren't winning without a good QB. You might be able to get into the playoffs but your team will find a way to lose to quality opponents more often than not.

The point is, the NFL is a QB league. I don't care how good a coach you are, you aren't winning without a good QB. You might be able to get into the playoffs but your team will find a way to lose to quality opponents more often than not.

My point, similar but that its an important pairing. Have to have the qb and philosophy of the team working in unison to be a Super Bowl type team.

My point, similar but that its an important pairing. Have to have the qb and philosophy of the team working in unison to be a Super Bowl type team.

Agreed. Whisenhunt has proven he can get to the SB with a great QB, though I'm pretty sure he originally chose Leinart over Warner. He's also had a tough time developing any of the other QBs he's had access to and that's a REAL concern to me.

I can't say I watched a lot of Arizona football since Warner retired but I will say that the personality of that defense is pretty "Steeler" like. They certainly get after the QB and hit like hell (in the few games I've seen). I don't think their draft track record is very good and I don't know if KW had a lot of input on that side of the organization.

I'm not even sure who I like anymore. My feeling is similar to the situation when Gailey was hired. I don't think any good candidate is going to look at this organization with anything but wariness. I know some things are certainly better now than 3 years ago but I think the reputation around NFL circles is poor and that's a tough thing to change.

The guy nearly wins the Super Bowl when he has HOF QB Kurt Warner playing, and then can't put together a decent season without him.

Right on!

As goes the QB, so goes the Head Coach. Ex: Mike Shanahan.

Ken Whisenhunt?

Who dreams up this crap! Why would the Bills fire a mediocre head coach (Gailey) for another proven loser?

Has anybody seen how bad Arizona played under Whisenhunt? This is total madness.

The next idiot idea would be to hire Jim Haslett as head coach.

Amazing how bad a coach you can be when Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley are your starting QBs the past 3 years...

Somehow he managed to finish 8-8 in 2011 with a QB worse than Fitz, which is an accomplishment in and of itself...

Edited by matter2003

I don't understand the hostility to Wisenhunt, although I admit that I don't know that much about him. Seems like he is a pretty good HC who fell victim to some really bad QB play this year. As far as I can tell, he took a perpetually soft team and turned them into a pretty tough one. I'd like to hear from someone from AZ who follows the team more closely though.

These two things are close to the truth, IMO. Wisenhunt looked like a genius when his offense was dismantling the vaunted Pittsburgh defense in the Super Bowl. Now he's an idiot.

I wonder if Gailey would've been a HOF coach with a big time QB.

Joe Gibbs?

Right on!

As goes the QB, so goes the Head Coach. Ex: Mike Shanahan.

Yeah because having a healthly rookie RB who ran for over 1600 yards doesn't help. Being in DC even the local folks are saying that Morris deserves the ROY award more than RGIII.

One thing Shanahan has proven is while it's good to have a good QB, having a line with a running back is just as important. Until Denver got Davis, enver didn't win crap, relying only on Elway until then.

All hes showed at AZ is that he can win with an established pro bowl caliber QB. Otherwise he has no skills in developing young QBs. Not a good fit for our team. Unless brady, brees, rodgers or peyton are coming to Buffalo. We need to focus on a coach with a track record of developing a young QB (see Arians, Bruce)

I actually like Wiz.

But your last statement is so true.

Edited by billsoverdue

These two things are close to the truth, IMO. Wisenhunt looked like a genius when his offense was dismantling the vaunted Pittsburgh defense in the Super Bowl. Now he's an idiot.

I wonder if Gailey would've been a HOF coach with a big time QB.

Joe Gibbs?

You're contradicting yourself.