Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One team being interested in Lovie isn't saying much. Could he be their Rooney rule interview? As far as I have read, Lovie only has a definite interview with the Bills.

IDK I guess if you are being cynical you could say it is the Rooney rule ... or you could look at his record and say (not based on color) its pretty good.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/12/31/3823318/lovie-smith-nfl-coaching-rumors-2013

Yea 10-6 sucks so bad.... :doh:

this franchise is so desperate for a winner 8-8 would look good, to bad only one coach in the last 10 years has surpassed that by one game. :bag:

tampa 2 worked nicely for the bears, colts, and bucs all making superbowl appearances with it in the last decade.

tampa 2 worked nicely for the bears, colts, and bucs all making superbowl appearances with it in the last decade.

When you try to use the cover 2 without pass rushing d linemen it will fail miserably. At that time our only pass rush came from Schobel, if he didn't get through then the passer could camp out.

Now we have 4 good-to-great pass rushers across the defensive front. If your line gets a rush it's an effective system.

Probably part of the reason Lovie specifically chose us and reached out.

The big ingredient for the cover 2 we're missing is a dynamic MLB who can hunt a ball carrier as well as make plays against the pass in the middle of the field.

Holy crap.

This. This. And more of this.

Jackson got screwed out of his HC job in Oakland but is a player's coach and is very creative. Darren McFadden was not the same player after Hue Jackson's influence was taken away from him...imagine Jackson coming up with plays for Spiller? That would be tremendous.

Lovie Smith: HC

Hue Jackson: OC

Rod Marinelli: DC

That is what we call a tremendous step up from Gailey, Wanny and Modkins/Gailey.

I would drool if those three came to take over. That'd be a new era for sure.

http://espn.go.com/c...w-buffalo-bills

Lovie Smith + Hugh Jackson (as OC)

I would definitely sign on for that. The most appealing combo I've heard so far

Id be thrilled if we hired Lovie and he brought in Pat Shurmur as OC. Even if it is Hue Jackson, both are better options than his horrible OCs in Chicago.

I do believe the Pat Shurmur is much better at developing QBs. But Id be happy with Jackson as OC if thats how it worked out.

Thanks for finally bringing up Shurmur who was also mentioned in the piece which mentioned Hue Jackson. Either guy would be a good OC hire. Shurmur did an excellent job with Sam Bradford when Bradford was a rookie. Shurmur also did a respectable job with Brandon Weeden this year.

The Bills are most likely going to develop a rookie quarterback this year. Shurmur would be an excellent choice for OC. So would Hue Jackson.

Doesn't Lovie use the Tampa 2 D?

Isn't it true that TEs eat the Tampa 2 for lunch?

Do we really want to make it easier for NE to score?

I would have thought that we had seen enough of that D with tricky Dicky?

I think you're making sweeping stereotypes. The Tampa 2 that Tampa Bay played, Jauron played, Indy played, and Chicago played all have differences. Enough not to paint them all with one brush.

Lovie went through a lot of offensive coordinators in Chicago, and has has a crappy OL forever. He is clueless on that side of the ball.

So what do you think about the rumor that he would bring Hue Jackson or Pat Shurmur with him as OC?

Why do I feel that Lovie is nothing more than our Rooney Rule interview...

hope not.

You'd be wrong.

The Bills already interviewed a minority candidate.

When you try to use the cover 2 without pass rushing d linemen it will fail miserably. At that time our only pass rush came from Schobel, if he didn't get through then the passer could camp out.

Now we have 4 good-to-great pass rushers across the defensive front. If your line gets a rush it's an effective system.

Probably part of the reason Lovie specifically chose us and reached out.

The big ingredient for the cover 2 we're missing is a dynamic MLB who can hunt a ball carrier as well as make plays against the pass in the middle of the field.

I wouldn't go that far.

Remember some posters pre-season sack predictions. I remember a few like Mario w/16, Anderson w/11, Kyle w/8, Marcell w/9, and Merriman and Kelsay for good measure chipping in with 6-7 each.

Sorry -- I haven't read through all 17 pages of this thread. So I apologize if the topic has already been discussed, but my big concern about Lovie Smith is the collapse of the Bears this season. I read that as a sign the team gave up on him. So who is as fault: Smith or the team? Any thoughts?