Lovie Smith for HC!

rcatty

I'm wondering if anyone has any links or information on Lovie's relationship with Angelo Crowell, the former Gm. I recall reading stuff about they didn't agree on some big personnel moves.

Angelo Crowell wasn't a gm he's a former Bills LB. You're thinking former bears GM Jerry Angelo and yeah from what I've heard and read smith and Angelo butted heads frequently.

Edited by Stealth

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King just said at halftime of the Army All American Bowl that Lovie is the Bills' top choice. If he brings Marinelli and Nix/Whaley hire a competent OC, this is probably the best/safest choice. While Kelly is intriguing, he's a complete unknown.

Peter King just said at halftime of the Army All American Bowl that Lovie is the Bills' top choice. If he brings Marinelli and Nix/Whaley hire a competent OC, this is probably the best/safest choice. While Kelly is intriguing, he's a complete unknown.

Sigh... If they are using analytics to rate coaches, I wonder how they feel about Lovie's poor clock management and 17% challenge success rate. The last thing we need is another coach who can manage the clock and make sound decisions.

Sigh... If they are using analytics to rate coaches, I wonder how they feel about Lovie's poor clock management and 17% challenge success rate. The last thing we need is another coach who can manage the clock and make sound decisions.

Head coaches rely on people in the booth to quickly tell them if the challenge should occur. I think he may have had the wrong replay watchers more than a problem with know when to challenge.

Late last night I got a strong hunch that if Kelly declines it wll be Lovie. I bet they decide by Monday. Trestman as OC?

PTR

Boy I hope you are right I am still worried it will just be the Whiz. I would hope, since they have interviewed all of the choices that were listed, we would hear new rumblings by now.

Edited by cklapka

Head coaches rely on people in the booth to quickly tell them if the challenge should occur. I think he may have had the wrong replay watchers more than a problem with know when to challenge.

I was just going to say that. As for poor clock management, it can't be any worse than the last decade of coaches, while he has the best record of the "retread" coaches by far.

I wonder if Whis would agree to being OC?

@ByTimGraham

Don't know about Lovie Smith being the favorite for Bills job, but have been told Friday's interview went very well.

I wonder if they would say it didn't go well. I think this is the problem with twitter not really using common sense before tweeting.

TG: Hey source, how did the interview with Lovie go?

Source: It went really well.

Is that really worth a tweet?

We hated Chan because he only focused on calling plays on offense and didn't know what was going on with the defense. However people are choosing to overlook the fact that Lovie has historically been clueless about the offense for his teams?

Also.....

Lovie Smith vs teams with a winning record: 19-40
Edited by Bangarang

We hated Chan because he only focused on calling plays on offense and didn't know what was going on with the defense. However people are choosing to overlook the fact that Lovie has historically been clueless about the offense for his teams?

Also.....

He wasn't clueless ... also a DC or OC has to have a good understanding of the opposite so that they can coach against it. Anyone who believes that they don't have a clue or don't know is being naive.

Someone cannot create a defensive plan without knowing exactly how the offensive plays and vise versa. One certainly cannot create a Tampa 2 defense without knowing how offenses work.

Edited by cklapka

I wonder if they would say it didn't go well. I think this is the problem with twitter not really using common sense before tweeting.

TG: Hey source, how did the interview with Lovie go?

Source: It went really well.

Is that really worth a tweet?

Sometimes those types of observations are printed as actual reports. Graham's source doesn't necessarily need to be someone that wants to spin it positively--- often, sources indicate interviews and the like didn't go well at all.

It may all be apropos of nothing, but it's a quiet day and this is where the public narrative is at the moment.

His won loss record against winning teams is certainly scary enough to reconsider him but not at the expense of hiring Whiz instead.

As apposed which other candidates NFL win/loss record against teams with winning records? What is Whiz's record against winning teams? I have not seen that mentioned anywhere for any other candidate. And no one else was a head coach in the NFL to compare that stat.

If you are going to use it a reason that he is a bad choice you should show the other candidates stats side by side.

However people are choosing to overlook the fact that Lovie has historically been clueless about the offense for his teams?

Considering the dozens of posts saying (approximately) "I'd be fine with Lovie Smith contingent on who he brought in as OC"

I would say that the answer to your question is NO.

People are not overlooking this fact.