6 of the 7 Teams picking ahead of us need a QB

Virgil

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not matter because Geno Smith's play was average in his bowl game. Matt Barkley is damaged goods. Neither is rated in the top 20. None of those teams will reach for a QB. Past drafts are littered with draft bust when teams reached. Look for QB starved teams to trade out of the top ten to get a QB and added picks or swing a trade for a valued back up like Matt Flynn. This is one year the Bills noted patience may work to their advantage and they can get a QB and added picks.

It does not matter because Geno Smith's play was average in his bowl game. Matt Barkley is damaged goods. Neither is rated in the top 20. None of those teams will reach for a QB. Past drafts are littered with draft bust when teams reached. Look for QB starved teams to trade out of the top ten to get a QB and added picks or swing a trade for a valued back up like Matt Flynn. This is one year the Bills noted patience may work to their advantage and they can get a QB and added picks.

Only dumb teams are going to be swayed by one game in something called the Pinstripe Bowl vs. the whole body of work.

None of the QBs in the draft are that great. Id go LB first then grab a FA QB even tho none of them WOW me. Alex or Vick id take...

Saying that because ESPN said so? They were the ones who said the same things about Russel Wilson, Dalton, and so much more. So, in a sense, should we not be glad there are a bunch of guys in this draft that are projected as middle rounders?

........None of those teams will reach for a QB. Past drafts are littered with draft bust when teams reached. Look for QB starved teams to trade out of the top ten to get a QB and added picks or swing a trade for a valued back up like Matt Flynn. This is one year the Bills noted patience may work to their advantage and they can get a QB and added picks.

I see things completely opposite to this.

In the last 10 years the QB position has become even more sought after, thus reaching for them in the 1st round has become not only common place but a standard in the NFL. As a poster recently pointed out in another thread(sorry, I can't remember the poster's name).....previous to the last 10 years, the average number of QBs selected in the 1st round was typically 1-2....in the last 10 years the average has been 2-4.

Essentially QBs are selected well above where their rating would typically set them. The removal of the ludicrously high salary figures for top draft picks only increases the likelihood that teams will take a chance on obtaining a QB of potential.

Edited by Dibs

Scott Pioli isn't a guy that drafts QBs high, especially if he has to reach. I think he'll draft a QB in round 2, get his franchise LT first overall.

Pioli's father in-law picked a franchise LT in 2008 and that hasn't worked as well as the team who picked a QB 2 spots later.

Teo is not a top ten talent. Maybe if we moved back to 15 or so and picked up another pick. Hopefully he is there at 8 and someone wants to trade up for him. At 8 they can stand pat and get the second best QB. The QB's simply don't grade out that well this year and the first 7 teams as one would expect have other needs besides QB. Raiders will go DT. Eagles OL. KC will draft OL or trade back hoping they can still get Geno Smith a few slots lower. Lions wet dream is Jones. Browns will not give up on Wheeden. AZ should take a QB but I think they will so something wild like trade for Romo/Sanchez or sign Flacco. They have too much talent on D and at WR to go with an unproven rookie.

I'm not going to begin to predict who will go where. The offseason hype on QB's always makes people shoot up the boards. But, what really sucks about this draft, besides the fact that we are picking in the top 10 due to another crap season, is that almost all of the teams picking ahead of us need a QB.

I'm also not saying that this is a huge deal for round 1, but instead for any other rounds as well. If there is someone we want, we will almost certainly have to package picks to move up to get him. Just a crap situation all around

1 - Chiefs (cleaning house, Cassel not the guy)

2 - Jaguars (probably cleaning house, Gabbert assumed not to be the guy, but could be)

3 - Raiders (Palmer sporatic and Raiders always make some kind of dumb move)

4 - Eagles (cleaning house, Foles not the guy)

5 - Lions (Have Stafford, we are safe here)

6 - Browns (Weeden not sold on, but they need defensive help. Chance they pass on QB)

7 - Cardinals (Trainwreck at QB. Coach staying though)

8 - Bills (Needs QB, WR, LB)

Personally, I'm okay with them reaching for a QB early. Or, trading to get back into the first. Right now, I'm on the Nassib bandwagon. I would love to see them go best LB or WR in the first and second, then trade back into the 2nd for Nassib (unless they they think he goes higher) Nassib could honestly go late first though, who knows

The fact that they need QBs doesn't mean they will all pick one in the first.

None of the QBs in the draft are that great. Id go LB first then grab a FA QB even tho none of them WOW me. Alex or Vick id take...

Ahhh yes none of the qb's are that great. Sounds like buddy nixs draft sheets in regards to Russell Wilson, kaepernick, foles, etc etc

Vick gotta say huge no he got his chance yesterday and was downright shameful. AGAIN. Its turning routine for mr Vick

Some of ya gotta stop posting though "geno fell out of top 20 due to snowy bowl game performance". Where do you find these mind blowing facts at ?

I'm not going to begin to predict who will go where. The offseason hype on QB's always makes people shoot up the boards. But, what really sucks about this draft, besides the fact that we are picking in the top 10 due to another crap season, is that almost all of the teams picking ahead of us need a QB.

I'm also not saying that this is a huge deal for round 1, but instead for any other rounds as well. If there is someone we want, we will almost certainly have to package picks to move up to get him. Just a crap situation all around

2 - Jaguars (probably cleaning house, Gabbert assumed not to be the guy, but could be)

6 - Browns (Weeden not sold on, but they need defensive help. Chance they pass on QB)

Personally, I'm okay with them reaching for a QB early. Or, trading to get back into the first. Right now, I'm on the Nassib bandwagon. I would love to see them go best LB or WR in the first and second, then trade back into the 2nd for Nassib (unless they they think he goes higher) Nassib could honestly go late first though, who knows

Way overstates probable QB demand ....

1) Chiefs yes will take QB

2) Jags may not take QB with gabbert, henne and expected arrival of tebow. Have a boatload of needs on both sides of ball

3) Raiders have a lot invested in palmer and he's not the reason they're playing bad

4) Eagles like foles, has all the physical skills, can't imagine taking a QB now

5) lions little chance with Stafford and wealth of needs on both sides of ball

6) Browns will likely stay with what weeden another year

7) cardinals not a lock to take QB. With their horrible line whats the point ?

Weighting all that id project 3 are taken before we pick

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I like it.....

Only dumb teams are going to be swayed by one game in something called the Pinstripe Bowl vs. the whole body of work.

It's not just the bowl game - his stock has been falling all season - ESPN had him down around #20 overall weeks ago.

What the dop in position (beating the Jets) cost them was any realistic shot at getting Te'o.

I still want them to go LB 1st, then QB, but it's not at all clear great players would be there.

Way overstates probable QB demand ....

1) Chiefs yes will take QB

2) Jags may not take QB with gabbert, henne and expected arrival of tebow. Have a boatload of needs on both sides of ball

3) Raiders have a lot invested in palmer and he's not the reason they're playing bad

4) Eagles like foles, has all the physical skills, can't imagine taking a QB now

5) lions little chance with Stafford and wealth of needs on both sides of ball

6) Browns will likely stay with what weeden another year

7) cardinals not a lock to take QB. With their horrible line whats the point ?

Weighting all that id project 3 are taken before we pick

More important than Palmer, Raiders' rookie Pryor just had a good game - 2TD's passing and a 3rd rushing!

I am confused - from your list I get 2 QB's taken before us - Chiefs and Cards. Tebow is the factor in Jax. Landing spots for Alex Smith and Tony Romo affect a lot too - I'd be happy with either for next year rather than reach in the first round for talent that isn't there.

Edited by BobChalmers

Our needs extend to safety, CB, DE, and (though not in the first) o-line depth and a #2 RB. We will be best off drafting BPA.