good measuring stick for Geno Smith

RCOHEN13

Well Bill, you've been on here as long as I have and read many of the ridiculous comments posted about the "black" QB. Just check the post topics and you'll see why I'm so sick of negative comments regarding them. Posts like "Russell Wilson will never be elite". Just read the garbage and you'll see why I'm going there!

So sick of the bs race card. It works both ways nowadays. Put it to bed.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I warned against exactly this. Bowl games are terrible to rate prospects in due to the length of time betweent this and the teams last games. Add in inclement weather and its a recipe for a whole bunch of bad throws and people discounting entire careers bc they saw one game.

I warned against exactly this. Bowl games are terrible to rate prospects in due to the length of time betweent this and the teams last games. Add in inclement weather and its a recipe for a whole bunch of bad throws and people discounting entire careers bc they saw one game.

Which good NFL QBs had terrible bowl games? I honestly don't know and am about to look. First up Aaron Rodgers.

2003 Insight Bowl - 394 yards 2 TDs

2004 Holiday Bowl - 246 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Tom Brady

1998 Citrus Bowl 206 yards 1 TD - win

1999 Orange Bowl 369 yards 4 TDs - win

Well Bill, you've been on here as long as I have and read many of the ridiculous comments posted about the "black" QB. Just check the post topics and you'll see why I'm so sick of negative comments regarding them. Posts like "Russell Wilson will never be elite". Just read the garbage and you'll see why I'm going there!

I've been here a long time too and most of the ridiculous comments posted about black QBs are from idiots who need to throw the 'racist' sterotype at anyone who dares to criticizes a QB who happens to be black.

No one here said Russell Wilson wouldn't be elite because of his race; they said he wouldn't be elite because of his size. People said the same thing about Drew Brees.

The garbage is being posted by you. Grow up.

If anyone rates Nassib higher than Geno as a result of this one game they clearly do not watch college football and haven't seen the whole season. It's like people don't realize anyone can have a bad game, snow or not. Geno likely will be the #1 overall pick and if not the #1 qb. We would be lucky to get him in Buffalo.

If anyone rates Nassib higher than Geno as a result of this one game they clearly do not watch college football and haven't seen the whole season. It's like people don't realize anyone can have a bad game, snow or not. Geno likely will be the #1 overall pick and if not the #1 qb. We would be lucky to get him in Buffalo.

He's had a terrible second half of the SEASON after playing well against the worst defenses in NCAA football in the first half. I'm not gonna say that nassib should be rated higher than Geno at all but if you think they are far apart talent wise then you need to watch more college football not us.

I've been here a long time too and most of the ridiculous comments posted about black QBs are from idiots who need to throw the 'racist' sterotype at anyone who dares to criticizes a QB who happens to be black.

No one here said Russell Wilson wouldn't be elite because of his race; they said he wouldn't be elite because of his size. People said the same thing about Drew Brees.

I'm not going to say anything good/bad regarding how race has effected evaluations on this board, but I think it does in some cases. Not as much the "he's black I don't want him" sense but in the "he's black, he must be compared to rg3, cam newton, vince young and mike Vick" sense.

We also do it based on college teams/conferences, regions they come from (no Cali qbs), and a variety of other non-race based lazy associations/evaluations.

It happens. It's life. The first guy to bring it up wasn't being fair, but to pretend we're perfectly color blind isn't true either. Turns out Gino might be a bit more "high motor" or "pocket passer" than some of the guys that immediately get brought up.

He's had a terrible second half of the SEASON after playing well against the worst defenses in NCAA football in the first half. I'm not gonna say that nassib should be rated higher than Geno at all but if you think they are far apart talent wise then you need to watch more college football not us.

Terrible is relative. His team has. He's been... Good but not the greatest? Not a single game with a sub-100 rating.

Vs ranked teams he's 72.5%, 9+ yards per, 17 td and 4 ints (according to espn)

only place his stats get messy is down 3+ scores - and yes his D did put him in some holes - otherwise all his splits are 60+ completion percentage, good yardage, etc.... Just hasn't been able to put that team on his back once in the hole late.

Edited by NoSaint

Seen Smith play three times, all three the past several weeks and all three games he really looked average at best. He looked tentitive and made some really poor decisions. Guess I saw the wrong three games.

I think as k9 pointed out - his line was getting him killed and he was fighting out of some holes. Coming into this season, and until about a month and a half in confident good decisions were the cornerstone of his evaluations, with an arm that could execute those once made (like 300 passes without an interception thrown at one stretch)

I won't say he's without flaw as I too have at times felt underwhelmed this season - and everyone thinks they can "just fix it" when in reality it's really tough to predict how he will respond moving forward.

I've seen the arm for long stretches, seen great mechanics (major thing going forward), seen great choices, heard from many I trust that he has a great head on his shoulders and loves the game, I like that he seems to be able to deliver from varied angles and locations, his balance is typically really good.... He deserves to be in the top of the draft talk but I'm not ready to say he's an absolute gimme to succeed.... I don't totally "get" what happened with that team yet and it gives me pause. I know the D was awful but something more seemed to be there beyond "we just don't tackle well"

Edited by NoSaint

Obviously don't like Smith, but Nassib is underwhelming too. Maybe his coach just decided he wanted to run the ball, but the lack of confidence in his QB is telling.

Or it was a !@#$ing blizzard and they are gashing them for 8 yards a carry.

playing in Yankee Staduim in 33 degree weather and nasty conditions as to if he could be a possible candidate for us..

Just heard on ESPN that Smith struggled in bad weather meaning, SNOW - WIND - I'LL PASS ON THIS GUY JUST SAY NO !!!!!

+1

I hope he is off the board before the Bills draft.....playing in a conference without defense.. When he played a defense he was very ordinary. ..NFL pressure will have his feet dancing all over the place...Just don't see NFL Pocket Presence with this guy....I don't think you can teach that intangible...Hopefully hes gone and Bills get a high Grade LB or DE