Keep Fitzpatrick?

$10 million of that's already gone. So how're you going to get around that?

What do u mean already gone? Just bc it counts against the cap doesn't mean he has already been paid that money or that it's guaranteed

There is still the difference of actually paying him that money or not paying it

What do u mean already gone? Just bc it counts against the cap doesn't mean he has already been paid that money or that it's guaranteed

There is still the difference of actually paying him that money or not paying it

Actually $7.45M is in base salary and has to be paid. $3M is a signing bonus. I am not sure how that equated to a $10M cap hit though.

Yes but the biggest problem was week after week, Gailey put him in the position to be a gunslinger. Get a coach that doesn't make him do that or wouldn't allow him to do that he could be salvageable. Fitz, looks OK for the first 3 quarters of most games when defenses aren't certain what's coming. He can make some good throws, but in the final five minutes when they are behind and the other team no it's he's bad, one of the worst., But maybe with better coaching you can reduce those down to one or two for the year. Will he win you the Super Bowl, no, but could get you through an improvement year till the rookie is ready. If the Bills go out and sign an Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, then I'd agree, cut him as those guys a ready to start week #1, but from the looks of this years rookies I doubt anyone is out there who is ready.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fitz and I wanted him to work out here. But with the game on the line, he is horrible. How you can say he would be the "best" option for us next year is beyond me. I'd rather take my chances with a rookie than watch an intelligent gunslinger throw pick after pick when the game is on the line. Fitz is a good guy, I don't dislike him as person. I just can't listen to the same excuses week after week anymore. Its time for us to make a concerted effort this off season in bringing in new QB's.

Actually $7.45M is in base salary and has to be paid. $3M is a signing bonus. I am not sure how that equated to a $10M cap hit though.

His cap hit for next year is 10 mil. His salary for next year is 10.45

Cap hit is different then salary

Good thing its not your money.

Since we dont a have another QB under contract, and no guarantee that anyone better will be available he must be kept. Also, the 10 million in cap money is gone cutting him would be stupid. To start the year 10 mil in the cap hole is not a good plan, neither is starting the year looking for 3 QBs.

This is what has happened to a lot of Bills fans. They are content with overpaying average at best players bc it's best that's on the team or worried wont be able to replace them

Bills will be adding a rookie QB so they would be right where they are now looking for 2 backup QBs which are not hard to find. Can always resign Fitz or restructure his deal to keep him around as well but there is no way you pay a backup QB 10 mil next year in real money

Edited by Max997

His cap hit for next year is 10 mil. His salary for next year is 10.45

Cap hit is different then salary

I know that cap hit is different I am just not sure how his contract is divided and realized by the cap to come up with that $10M figure. I know the bonus is divided by the years of the contract. I think he is do $7M more in bonus money for future years plus the $3M he is do in a bonus for March that makes up the cap hit but I am not exactly sure.

Yes but the biggest problem was week after week, Gailey put him in the position to be a gunslinger. Get a coach that doesn't make him do that or wouldn't allow him to do that he could be salvageable. Fitz, looks OK for the first 3 quarters of most games when defenses aren't certain what's coming. He can make some good throws, but in the final five minutes when they are behind and the other team no it's he's bad, one of the worst., But maybe with better coaching you can reduce those down to one or two for the year. Will he win you the Super Bowl, no, but could get you through an improvement year till the rookie is ready. If the Bills go out and sign an Alex Smith or Matt Flynn, then I'd agree, cut him as those guys a ready to start week #1, but from the looks of this years rookies I doubt anyone is out there who is ready.

I don't know...He's not good enough...Never has been, and never will be...So what's the point?...I'd rather go with a Rookie in a scaled back Offense and let him take his lumps for a year to learn...I just don't see the upside in bringing Fitz back unless he is the unquestioned back-up with a re-done contract...Just my opinion... B-)

I know there's been a long standing apprehension about drafting QB's around the second round (understandably w/ the overall historical success rate); but I think there's been enough success with 2nd rd QB picks and rookie QB's in general in recent years that, with good professional evaluation, the Bills would do fine taking a shot on a 2nd or 3rd RD QB if the situation arises ......AND letting Fitzpatrick go IF it's too expensive.

I like Fitzpatrick but, you know, he's got a Frank Reich type skill-set w/ probably a Jim Kelly type contract.

Edited by Yonder_d7

It's been noted already.

Fitz would be a good mentor and also a good backup.

If we get one or two QB's in the draft moreso, eh? He has to restructure though.

Now lets factor in two more things :

Gailey stays.

If so and we draft one or two QB's. I think Ryan could have Great value to the rookie s.

Or the Bills think they can get T. Jackson up to speed off season to start and then help the rookies. He has enough experience and probably could get us to midseason or so.

Chan goes.

Fitzy restuctures.

The rest of that scenario is a wild guess. Thigpen is gone of course so does Jackson stay on ? I dont want to guess about Brad Smith till the HC/GM ?s are settled.

Gonna be interesting thats for sure Chris :thumbsup:

Have to disagree for those restructuring his contract posts. I don't want him near our locker room next year. New coach, new QB and a new system to accentuate Spiller and the new stud WR we are taking within the first three rounds. He simply needs to be off the roster.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Have to disagree for those restructuring his contract posts. I don't want him near our locker room next year. New coach, new QB and a new system to accentuate Spiller and the new stud WR we are taking within the first three rounds. He simply needs to be off the roster.

So Ryan as a potential offensive coordinator with Chan would not be an option for you ?

:bag:

You can't run a modern offense where the long ball is not part of your offense, and thats the weakest part of Fitz's game.

That seems to be true. As Gailey seemed to coach around that weakness.

Or was it really the other way around? Fitzy's throwing seemed worse after getting that QBs throwing coach here.

But yes you gotta have make them seriously cover those patterns that challenge the corners deep.

That seems to be true. As Gailey seemed to coach around that weakness.

Or was it really the other way around? Fitzy's throwing seemed worse after getting that QBs throwing coach here.

But yes you gotta have make them seriously cover those patterns that challenge the corners deep.

I hear what you're saying, Fitz did seem able to hit TO with a few deep balls a few years back. The QB coach certainly didnt improve his deep ball. The thing the drives me nuts about Chans dink and dunk offense is that it depends on long sustained drives. A holding penalty,a sack and then its stalled resulting in punt or a pass on 3rd down that is short of the first down marker.

Edited by billsfan714

It's been noted already.

Fitz would be a good mentor and also a good backup.

If we get one or two QB's in the draft moreso, eh? He has to restructure though.

Now lets factor in two more things : ...

Unfortunately, that can't be in Buffalo. It seldom works within a team structure to demote the starting QB for the last three seasons and have him serve as a mentor. Fitz would be ideal in that role on another team looking to groom their next QB. I'm predicting Arizona.

GO BILLS!!!

Unfortunately, that can't be in Buffalo. It seldom works within a team structure to demote the starting QB for the last three seasons and have him serve as a mentor. Fitz would be ideal in that role on another team looking to groom their next QB. I'm predicting Arizona.

GO BILLS!!!

So then do losing backup quarterbacks, with a inaccurate noodle arm make good mentors? Is it because they spend the first 5 years holding a clipboard that makes them more attractive? I don't know why anyone would want Ryan Fitzpatrick "grooming" their investment.I don't think a team in the NFL would do it. Edited by Best Player Available

Guys fitz is going to be the starter next year unless there is a major front office overhaul. It makes sense for three reasons.

1. He knows the offense.

2. Hes a veteran player that is respected by his teammates.

3. A mediocre QB mentoring a rookie is better than throwing your new draft pick to the wolves.

On point three. Look at the offensive line. Its not good for pass blocking (hense all the quick passes.) Do you seriously think any Rookie is going to retain an ounce of confidence after getting torn to shreds by opposing defenses?

GO BILLS!!!

okay.

But i think this was supposed to be the process, and it got dicked up. Ryan should have already been grooming the qb of the future. Last years draft was supposed to get the QB and the FO got hinked up about the 2nd 3rd round and missed.

If he goes to AZ. thats okay by me at this point. Thinking for me was he was a Chan " complicated offense" apprentice. and O coordinator prodigy . Yes i know. i'm a bit on the fringe with this one. :oops:

If it were my money a gun would have to be put to my head to keep Fitz another year. We have seen the ceiling for Fitz and a number of other offensive players. It's time to be decisive and cut Fitz entirely out of the equation. Some posters think that the team quit on Gailey. I think they quit on Fitz. Fitz's interceptions cued many a collapse this year, or in some cases provided a final nail for the coffin. He is a worthy competitor, just not a winner at this level.

bottom line: Fitzpatrick is good for 5 or 6 wins.

No reason to keep him. He just isn't that good.

Guys don't take demotions in the NFL. Alex Smith had no choice since it came mid-season, but you can bet he'll be gone as soon as SF plays their last game. Fitzpatrick probably thinks that he can go play somewhere else with a chance to start.

I read something on this & i think you got it wrong we save 10.45 mill if we cut him before the beginning of the league year & that won't go against the cap as long as he is cut before that ...

Edited by T master

After reading the article in Buffalo News we will spend $ 10M against the cap to cut him before March and $10.45M to keep him. We are only talking about $450k. As bad as he has played he could be retained and compete with whoever they bring in and at the least be a backup. The question I pose to all you closet GM's is do we keep him and get some value or cut him and throw $10M away against the cap? The article does not say if renegotiating the contract to reduce the cap hit is possible. Let's assume it is not an option and decide what is best for the Bills.

yes but as a backup and all contracts are renegotiable and his should be to reflect back up pay.

Of Course when we get a new coach in a few weeks he might want someone else so who knows at this point.

yes but as a backup and all contracts are renegotiable and his should be to reflect back up pay.

Of Course when we get a new coach in a few weeks he might want someone else so who knows at this point.

If they blow it up again, coach and GM, you have to believe Fitz will be asked to renegotiate his contract otherwise be released. Ralph should not have to pay him when TJ is on the roster and has starter experience and would be about the same as Fitz learning a brand new offense.

bottom line: Fitzpatrick is good for 5 or 6 wins.

No reason to keep him. He just isn't that good.

Guys don't take demotions in the NFL. Alex Smith had no choice since it came mid-season, but you can bet he'll be gone as soon as SF plays their last game. Fitzpatrick probably thinks that he can go play somewhere else with a chance to start.

And that will probably happen. Not many good QBs in the NFL. We see them all the time because the networks only feature the good teams/QBs. But Stafford, Kolb, Sanchez and the rest are pretty average , basically Fitz clones.. good but not good enough. Sam Bradford did not wow anyone in the Bills game either. Tough business, the NFL QB thing.

I read something on this & i think you got it wrong we save 10.45 mill if we cut him before the beginning of the league year & that won't go against the cap as long as he is cut before that ...

I don't believe that is right unless it is possible to renegotiate a deal that turns the signing bonus portion of his current contract into actual salary. If you cut a player the salary you save does not go against the cap but the remaining amount of signing bonus does regardless when you do it I think.