Sports Illustrated coaching change article

Superman12975

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

none of this makes sense. something called the no spin zone reporting that "it's friends" at Si are reporting that a coach is going to be fired in Buffalo even though the article it references is speculative at best.

i hope this isn't some dog chasing its tail.

it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that is based on nothing concrete. i'm not saying it might not happen, but to base any conclusions on this is questionable.

and i'm tired of folks piling on on Chan. this witch hunt has gone on long enough. let's have a little empathy here. Gailey's been swinging in the wind for far too long without any support from ownership, the CEO or Buddy Nix, who's suddenly gone silent. this topic has been beaten for far too long, with far too many people taking far too much pleasure out of it.

let's remember this is an actual person who has tried his best to turn this franchise around and to a degree failed.

i'm not saying Chan's not open to criticism but i'd hate to think no one here has never been wrong.

i'm tired of this boring, dull topic, with one dozen threads popping up at a moment's notice. good god, have some respect.

jw

and yeah, i'm in a mood to start taking people on because enough of this is enough, and i'm tired of the mob-rule mentality that some in the media have taken.

i'll remain contrarian and objective and question why this is being viewed through a 13-year prism and not a 3-year one.

the team has been dysfunctional for longer than Chan and Buddy have been here. but few seems to want to acknowledge that, and instead lay all the blame on the current regime for the troubles past.

for shame. for shame. i thought people here had better perspective.

Applause, agreed and a nod of respect

Edited by Section 237

didnt hear it, probably just speculation

where there is smoke ...

boy this (below) sounds like music to my ears, Nix has done poorly drafting and overall personnel as well, although I would like to keep him around to scout O-line man bc he knows how to find those guys;

"Another potential GM candidate would be Caldwell, Atlanta's well-regarded director of player personnel. He's from the Buffalo area, and would welcome the chance to help the Bills end their NFL-worst playoff drought, which stands at 13 seasons and counting.

As one NFL club executive explained, replacing Nix now is probably the smart move, because he has made it known the Bills will be aggressive in the search for the club's next starting quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return. "If you've got a GM who's hell-bent on getting a quarterback, you've got a guy who's at least in danger of giving up the farm to do so,'' the NFL club executive said. "A desperate general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.''

Wawrow,

I don't think it's anywhere near as awful in the local sports media as you're making it out to be. It could be a lot worse. Message boards? Maybe, but that is not sports media, just a reflection of our culture.

Can you imagine the NY, Boston, or Philly media with Chan and Fitzpatrick as their pinatas? Add in the national media, because right now nobody outside of Buffalo even cares about the Bills. I heard John Clayton refer to Ole Fitzy as "Fitzgerald" in an interview on Sirius NFL radio (not with local guys when he pretends to have some knowledge of the team). The Bills are literally irrelevant to ESPN and the like (which is good for Chan). Try coaching in NY. They still don't treat Coughlin like an elite borderline Hall of Fame level coach. Instead, they ruthlessly tear the Giants, the QB, and the coach apart.

A guy like Nix (who has accomplished nothing here) would give his little "we can let this thing go dead" line to the NY media and they would absolutely destroy him. It would be all over the national sports media, on Jim Rome, on ESPN, etc. It barely made a ripple nationally because it's the Bills. These guys have it easy here.

The Buffalo media is tame by comparison. Doesn't make it right, but pro sports is a brutal, cutthroat world full of ultra-aggressive alpha males. The only way to survive is to win more than you lose.

Wawrow,

I don't think it's anywhere near as awful in the local sports media as you're making it out to be. It could be a lot worse. Message boards? Maybe, but that is not sports media, just a reflection of our culture.

Can you imagine the NY, Boston, or Philly media with Chan and Fitzpatrick as their pinatas? Add in the national media, because right now nobody outside of Buffalo even cares about the Bills. I heard John Clayton refer to Ole Fitzy as "Fitzgerald" in an interview on Sirius NFL radio (not with local guys when he pretends to have some knowledge of the team). The Bills are literally irrelevant to ESPN and the like (which is good for Chan). Try coaching in NY. They still don't treat Coughlin like an elite borderline Hall of Fame level coach. Instead, they ruthlessly tear the Giants, the QB, and the coach apart.

A guy like Nix (who has accomplished nothing here) would give his little "we can let this thing go dead" line to the NY media and they would absolutely destroy him. It would be all over the national sports media, on Jim Rome, on ESPN, etc. It barely made a ripple nationally because it's the Bills. These guys have it easy here.

The Buffalo media is tame by comparison. Doesn't make it right, but pro sports is a brutal, cutthroat world full of ultra-aggressive alpha males. The only way to survive is to win more than you lose.

But on here Jerry Sullivan is too negative.

".. with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return."

This is the line that caught my eye more than anything else. Do organizations occasionally take 2steps forward and 1 back? Of course -and that could well be what we've experienced here, with a new DC, KO rules, etc. To me, this seasons' major issue is QB. I can think of 4 games where, while we didn't play very well, we had opportunities to win, especially near the end. All of them ended in failure and it was QB play that doomed us. I think its safe to say the QB coach brought in to correct Fitz's passing was a complete failure. In earlier seasons, Fitz's sidearm 'gunslinging' produced some incredible throws, including zip and tight spirals on medium long throws. It gave us all hope we have a fine, if unorthodox, player here. This year, with feet planted firmly between his shoulders, arm cocked and 'over the shoulder' throws, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if he were standing inside it!

The guy (Fitz) is ruined from this, the season tanked and now, once again, wholesale house-cleaning is inevitable.

3 steps backward. Again.

BTW, jw, just go away and cover curling in Manitowba. Your pompous arrogance is akin to Lupica. Way to set your sights high..

Whether or not there's any basis for the SI prediction, many here have been firm in the conviction that Gailey will be fired.

Amazingly there are numerous very good posters here who don't seem to think he will be.

For weeks I've considered his firing to be a foregone conclusion.

I hope so, because I do not believe Buddy Nix is a stupid man. There have been too many glaring mistakes made by this coaching staff to ignore, or to believe things are still headed in the "right direction." A sampling:

-- inconceivable mis-use of CJ Spiller ("it was Fred's turn") -- this, by itself, is in my opinion a fireable offense

-- repeated failure at simple clock management

-- mind-boggling play calling

-- failure to evaluate Tarvaris Jackson in any game situation

-- "I don't like to attempt 50-yard FGs"

-- questionable gameday inactives and roster management

-- horrible -- I repeat, horrible -- coaching on the defensive side of the ball

I'm sure others can easily add to this list. Gailey must go.

With no hockey this year, cleaning house at One Bills Drive is the only thing that can make this long winter enjoyable. I don't know what I'm going to do once the football season is over. Watch basketball? Nah, don't think so. But waiting to see what the Bills are going to do if they clean house will be pretty exciting.

And if the Bills get embarrassed by the Jets Sunday, Gailey should be fired Sunday night. Why wait til Monday.