Don Banks - great quote about Nix and why he should go

dave mcbride

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121227/black-monday-nfl-coaches-2012/?sct=uk_t11_a5

Buffalo -- The Bills are expected to end the three-year Chan Gailey coaching era following this season's major disappointment, but the mystery in Buffalo is whether general manager Buddy Nix is also on his way out. Team CEO Russ Brandon is thought to be in favor of a full house-cleaning, but no one I talked to within the league had a great handle on whether Bills owner Ralph Wilson agrees.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas dropped a cryptic hint of changes to come within the organization via Twitter the other day, but no one seems quite sure what form a potential GM move would take. One option would be elevating assistant GM/director of player personnel Doug Whaley to the top job and commencing a coaching search after that change was made.

Another potential GM candidate would be Caldwell, Atlanta's well-regarded director of player personnel. He's from the Buffalo area, and would welcome the chance to help the Bills end their NFL-worst playoff drought, which stands at 13 seasons and counting.

As one NFL club executive explained, replacing Nix now is probably the smart move, because he has made it known the Bills will be aggressive in the search for the club's next starting quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return. "If you've got a GM who's hell-bent on getting a quarterback, you've got a guy who's at least in danger of giving up the farm to do so,'' the NFL club executive said. "A desperate general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.''

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121227/black-monday-nfl-coaches-2012/?sct=uk_t11_a5

Buffalo -- The Bills are expected to end the three-year Chan Gailey coaching era following this season's major disappointment, but the mystery in Buffalo is whether general manager Buddy Nix is also on his way out. Team CEO Russ Brandon is thought to be in favor of a full house-cleaning, but no one I talked to within the league had a great handle on whether Bills owner Ralph Wilson agrees.

Former Bills running back Thurman Thomas dropped a cryptic hint of changes to come within the organization via Twitter the other day, but no one seems quite sure what form a potential GM move would take. One option would be elevating assistant GM/director of player personnel Doug Whaley to the top job and commencing a coaching search after that change was made.

Another potential GM candidate would be Caldwell, Atlanta's well-regarded director of player personnel. He's from the Buffalo area, and would welcome the chance to help the Bills end their NFL-worst playoff drought, which stands at 13 seasons and counting.

As one NFL club executive explained, replacing Nix now is probably the smart move, because he has made it known the Bills will be aggressive in the search for the club's next starting quarterback, with Ryan Fitzpatrick not expected to return. "If you've got a GM who's hell-bent on getting a quarterback, you've got a guy who's at least in danger of giving up the farm to do so,'' the NFL club executive said. "A desperate general manager is the worst kind of general manager to have.''

Just look at how it destroyed the skins franchise...

http://sportsillustr.../?sct=uk_t11_a5

From his interview on WGR Last week, Nix doesn't sound "Hell Bent" on it, he just said they will be getting one early. From the way he sounded, It sounds more like he would draft a WR first, then take a QB later in the 1st or 2nd. I would like to know Banks thoughts on Shanahan last year and the trade to move up to get RGIII, I'm sure Banks was against that desperation move.

As for Caldwell, how does he know that he would welcome the chance to leave a team close to being SB contenders to come to Buffalo and try and turn them around?

From his interview on WGR Last week, Nix doesn't sound "Hell Bent" on it, he just said they will be getting one early. From the way he sounded, It sounds more like he would draft a WR first, then take a QB later in the 1st or 2nd. I would like to know Banks thoughts on Shanahan last year and the trade to move up to get RGIII, I'm sure Banks was against that desperation move.

As for Caldwell, how does he know that he would welcome the chance to leave a team close to being SB contenders to come to Buffalo and try and turn them around?

Banks didn't say this - another league person did. I thought it was interesting, and Nix did indicate fairly recently that he'd move heaven and earth to get a QB. I'm actually not opposed to that, but I don't know as if any of the guys coming out this year warrant a high pick. I also don't know as if the move up for RG III was seen as a desperation move given that he was seen by most as a top 3 pick. Most in the league now think that trading a lot to get a blue chip QB makes a lot of sense. Those trades make so much sense that you rarely see anyone trade out of those slots. The issue is trading the farm for a guy like Losman or Christian Ponder - borderline first rounders with clear negatives.

As for Caldwell, read the full piece. Clearly, Banks - the best football reporter in the biz, I think - has spoken with a lot of people.

Edited by dave mcbride

i dont think nix would be any more desperate than any other new GM.

honestly, i dont think he much cares what others think of him and this point and will take his guy whenever he sees fit. hence he hasnt yet.

hes not a guy in a position to be setting up his next job, or a long term career. hes finding his qb, and then likely turning the team over would be my guess.

Edited by NoSaint

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/writers/don_banks/archive/

Trying to find an article on the trade. These look like he was okay with it.

PTR

Banks didn't say this - another league person did. I thought it was interesting. I don't know as if the move up for RG III was seen as a desperation move given that he was seen by all as a top 3 pick. The issue is trading the farm for a guy like Losman or Christian Ponder - borderline first rounders with clear negatives.

As for Caldwell, read the full piece. Clearly, Banks - the best football reporter in the biz, I think - has spoken with a lot of people.

And Leaf was seen as a top 2 pick, Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith were both seen as #1 overall picks

He still gave up alot to move up and take a chance on someone who has never played a down in the NFL before and had a 50/50 chance of being either the next Vick, or the next Newton

13 years of futility means a full-house cleaning is needed.

13 years of futility has been through 3-4 house cleanings already, How have those worked out?

Nix needs to go. Gailey needs to go. This whoie organization needs a drastic change. The real problem is ownership. It's rinse and repeat until new ownership is in place. As far as I'm concerned, then can keep the entire bunch until a new owner takes over. That's the only hope for Bills fans. Pretty much the only constant with this organization over the years has been the owner. He's the one who has hired these misfits. He got lucky with Polian, and he screwed that one up too. There is no guarantee a new owner will do things right, but it's the only hope we Bills fans have.

Edited by first_and_ten

Hey, sometimes when you have talent it doesn't work out...look at the Lions this year. They're a bigger disappointment than the Bills are.

The head coach seems alittle too loose with the llions this year

Edited by roush

And Leaf was seen as a top 2 pick, Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith were both seen as #1 overall picks

He still gave up alot to move up and take a chance on someone who has never played a down in the NFL before and had a 50/50 chance of being either the next Vick, or the next Newton

13 years of futility has been through 3-4 house cleanings already, How have those worked out?

It could be argued there was only 1 real "full house cleaning" when Donahoe was brought in as President/GM and hired his own coach and so on. Since then, its been a whole lot of internal hiring and familiar faces. Not to mention Littman and/or Brandon as common denominators to the whole process

Not quite right. Nix should be fired, among other reasons, because he has demonstrated that he is incompetent to select a franchise quarterback. The thought of him sifting through this years' crop of QBs is terrifying.

I think if the Bills send Nix packing and don't promote Whaley, then Whaley is gone. He was clearly brought in as the up-and-comer being groomed to take over GM duties.

No comment here as to whether or not "we" care if Whaley walks...but I do believe the BIlls' key problems are not with what Nix has been trying to do. His biggest (and perhaps most understandable) mistake was hiring Gailey as HC in the first place. If nobody wanted the job and the organization was tainted at the time, it may have been the best he could do. Things are different now, however. I hope the "shake-up" is at the coaching level and not the GM.

It could be argued there was only 1 real "full house cleaning" when Donahoe was brought in as President/GM and hired his own coach and so on. Since then, its been a whole lot of internal hiring and familiar faces. Not to mention Littman and/or Brandon as common denominators to the whole process

How many teams go out and fire everyone associated with the teams front office (President, CEO, Marketing Guy, Financial Guy/Accountant, etc?)

House cleaning #1 would have been when tehy cleaned house to bring in Donahoe

#2 - Firing Donahoe to bring in Levy and staff

#3 - When Nix and Gailey were brought in

Those are the 3 if you want to get technical because it involved new GM and headcoaches, a typical Sports team "Full House cleaning". If you go by some, a typical housecleaning is when they fire the HC and his entire staff and replace with a new staff.