Gailey staying?

thewildrabbit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my gut tells me the team hires a real OC in the offseason, Gailey is kept on, but on a very short leash...if he isn't 4-2 or better to start the year, he's gone...i know everyone is mocking the continuity angle, but i think having an OC that is being groomed to take over is the way the team will go....either way, Gailey is gone in '14. Just my thoughts..

If you ever have the opportunity to listen to John Clayton on WGR each week, you will realize he does not have the slightest idea about what is happening with the Bills. He offers no more insight than someone reading a message board.

People on this board know 100X what Clayton knows about the Bills. I like him, but he really shouldn't be doing these locals shows because there is no way he's going to be up on every team. He's so far off on what he says about the Bills it's laughable. Schopp even said something about it a few weeks ago.

I see the most likely scenario as .....

Nix and Gailey both retained for next season, in spite of a fan and media objections;

Bills draft a QB somewhere in rounds 1 - 3;

Fitz starts season with Chan sticking to the line he's the guy;

Bills have horrible start of something like 1 & 4;

Fans cry for the rookie QB to start , chan refuses saying he's not ready and fitz is the guy anyway;

The outcry and tension becomes too great and chan is relieved o his duties after week 5;

Wannatadt is named HC and starts the rookie QB;

Bills finish 5 & 11 but the rookie looks more promising than fitz.

Bills clean house and relieve nix and wannstadt of their duties.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Chan is done. Stick a fork in him. The remaining question is whether Buddy goes with him.

Not so fast....

The players will be blamed. Fitz for his "epic" collapse after signing his deal, & Mario for being "hurt".

Fitz will be cut before his bonus is due, and Mario will stay.

No, Fitz will be on the team in 13. You are right about Mario, however.

I see the most likely scenario as .....

Nix and Gailey both retained for next season, in spite of a fan and media objections;

Bills draft a QB somewhere in rounds 1 - 3;

Fitz starts season with Chan sticking to the line he's the guy;

Bills have horrible start of something like 1 & 4;

Fans cry for the rookie QB to start , chan refuses saying he's not ready and fitz is the guy anyway;

The outcry and tension becomes too great and chan is relieved o his duties after week 5;

Wannatadt is named HC and starts the rookie QB;

Bills finish 5 & 11 but the rookie looks more promising than fitz.

Bills clean house and relieve nix and wannstadt of their duties.

You lost me where you mention the media....don't give a rat about those folks and their thoughts. they write to sell papers....have little credibility with me. Have been watching the Bills since 1960...yep , and old timer, and still have season tickets. Believe me, its been worse, lots worse. Lived through the 2-14 years in the 80's

Im sorry, I have been a Bills fan since a kid, yikes, I remember like it was yesterday. I'm close to death now at 55. I have always blindly stuck with the Bills , it defined who I was. If chan gailey has a 2% chance of staying with this team them my seats on the 40 yd line are gone. Its a sad day when you get to the end of the line and see there isn't any light there, just more darkness. Please God help this team, let a real coach come to Buffalo.

the talent on the team he took over was on par with the worst weve ever had here. you could have had vince lombardi coaching and it would have been surprising at all they started 0-8. and yet chan had them go 4-4 the second half, which was a pretty remarkable turnaround

the next season they started very strong and were playing good ball for half the season. granted they tanked badly the rest of the way, but they also had one of the worst injury streaks weve ever seen and had very little depth

this past season was about as disappointing as it gets. no way i thought they have a chance to finish with only five wins but here we are. you can make a good case that a coach should be fired for this kind of season alone, and if that happens im fine with it. but it is indeed a fact that chan (and buddy) took a horrible situation and made it a lot better fast. that doesnt mean they have what it takes to make this an actually good team, but you cant take their early gains in performance away from them

so despite that most fans are screaming for another restart, its not the worst thing to give them one more cycle to try to pull it together. if ralph can finagle something better thats fine, but one more season with these guys seems a lot better than taking a flyer on another mularky or moobs

I think this is a fair assessment - but as you said - THIS season the resutls were bad, and Chan's coaching in particular looked really bad in the process. Bad game planning, bad time management, bad appearance of player preparation, and a brutal mishandling/misunderstanding of his talent - eschewing Spiller for Fitz and Freddy. The last point - just way he screwed up with Spiller - is damning enough to fire him.

On top of that, the guy looks fried out there, understandably so, but that's not continuity anyone wants - maybe not even Gailey.

I know Nix said earlier Gailey was safe - but things got a lot worse since he said that. The Rams loss and the coaching failures that led to it, followed by the Seattle embarrassment, I think set Gailey up to be fired. I think he knows it too.

They have shown a tendency to pick the wrong athletes in the draft. Whether or not Gailey stays, you gotta wonder about taking Troup in front of Gronkowski, and Aaron Williams in front of Andy Dalton. And somehow he was able to choose the underachiever in the 2011 draft with Marcel Dareus surrounded by 4 Pro Bowlers on either side of his pick. Nix is a good ole boy, and his high-pitched twang and self-knowing nods and winks should go.

:thumbsup: nailed it!

If you ever have the opportunity to listen to John Clayton on WGR each week, you will realize he does not have the slightest idea about what is happening with the Bills. He offers no more insight than someone reading a message board.

very true. The last time I heard Clayton on GR, he was actually defending the limited use of Spiller this year. Even Schopp and the Bulldog were fairly speechless.

Lets not forget that Buddy Nix stated Chan is his HC for 2013 and perhaps longer, so if Nix stays, then so does Chan.

PS TT tweet about "its on like a mofo" might be about something other then a HC / GM change.

That can easily taken care of. Time to take out the trash.

my gut tells me the team hires a real OC in the offseason, Gailey is kept on, but on a very short leash...if he isn't 4-2 or better to start the year, he's gone...i know everyone is mocking the continuity angle, but i think having an OC that is being groomed to take over is the way the team will go....either way, Gailey is gone in '14. Just my thoughts..

Wow I hope you are wrong. That would probably be the worst possible outcome.

Heard from a source at One Bills Drive that Buddy was told to either fire Chan Monday or pack his stuff up too because they both would be gone.

My favorite part of this if true is the timing - do it immediately and get in the front of the line for a replacement.