Gailey staying?

thewildrabbit

Lets not forget that Buddy Nix stated Chan is his HC for 2013 and perhaps longer, so if Nix stays, then so does Chan.

I am hoping with everything that I have that, that statement by Nix gets him canned too. He is just as bad a GM as Gailey is as a HC, if not worse. Just the fact that he stuck with Fitz for this season and didn't get a quarterback in a QB heavy draft (2012), and now has to find one in draft class that probably doesn't even have any (nor is there any free agents available), should give him his walking papers immediately.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If both Nix and Gailey return in 2013 it signals that Brandon isn't being given the responsibility commensurate with the CEO job.

Season ticket sales were slumping before the Mario signing and only hit 44k this year despite being around 55k in 2008-09. Both of these guys returning means his job is infinitely harder and gate revenue will suffer tremendously.

This team has enough talent for a good coach to win. Gailey, who sports a worse w/l record than Jauron, is clueless. All this talk about continuity is noise. Three years should be enough for any coach to get things turned around if they know what they are doing. Gailey doesn't.

YE OLE has always felt like The Chanimal was a better coach than Jauron. He seems like he is... it just feels like he has a better handle on things. But, at the end of the day, for as much criticism as Jauron was dealt (rightfully so), he went 7-9 every year with less talent.

I have said it many times before here the last few weeks, Chan is done. I don't see him being fired, but he will most likely step down and retire. Just listening to him he is broken and beaten, and sounds like someone who will retire and move on. The Bills don't want to start all over again by cleaning house and know that this years team grossly underachieved cause they do have alot of talent on the roster, give 'Stache the HC position and he hires replacement co-ordinators for O and D. Its not what the fans want, but it changes things up by putting someone new in charge without completly blowing things up and starting again from scratch. Even Saint Polian said recently that he doesn't think blowing it up every 3 years is going to be good and they need to stick with continuity. Nix I can see staying on until atleast the draft where afterwards he may step down and retire also, leaving the job to Whaley, or this upcoming year will probably be his last after he feels he either did all he could to tunr them around, or feels he has solidified a foundation for the team and can leave the team to Whaley to build from there.

I would say that there is less then a 50% chance that Chan even wants to continue on after this season. He just looks and sounds beaten and done, like he just doesn't know what to do anymore to fix things and that he is getting too old for this.

I am hoping with everything that I have that, that statement by Nix gets him canned too. He is just as bad a GM as Gailey is as a HC, if not worse. Just the fact that he stuck with Fitz for this season and didn't get a quarterback in a QB heavy draft (2012), and now has to find one in draft class that probably doesn't even have any (nor is there any free agents available), should give him his walking papers immediately.

:thumbsup:

I was questioning the moves made by Nix / Gailey after their first off season, pre season, 4-12 regular season. So many miscues with schemes, player personnel in free agency, the draft,,and particularly in talent evaluation. I wanted those two morons gone after their first year.

After Buddy Nix made the statement midway thru this season that Gailey is his HC for 2013, and perhaps another year we fans came to find out that in all probability both Nix & Gailey signed a 5 year contracts :doh: We fans also know how frugal this owner can be when it comes to paying for a top coach. After Wilson fired Jauron he needed to keep paying him and Gailey both because he had just signed him to an extension. I look at Buddy Nix and he must tremendous influence over this owner to be able to talk him into 5 year deals, and giving Mario Williams 100 million dollars.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/03/buddy-nix-says-chan-gailey-will-definitely-coach-the-bills-in-2013/

Ralph Wilson must have thought he was getting the brains behind the scenes that help build the Buffalo Bills from 1993 to 2000. Then Nix went with John Butler to San Diego and helped build that fantastic best in the NFL roster with LT. John Butler passed away in 2003, and yet the Chargers had 3 players Nix drafted to the pro bowl in 2005. 6 players drafted went to the pro bowl in 2006. 11 players on the Chargers in the pro bowl in 2007, 8 players elected to the pro bowl in 2008.

The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making of their drafts.

But I look at the Buffalo Bills last 3 drafts and they are way worse then Jauron / Levy every year except for one lone player that Chan Gailey had his eye on since playing against him while the HC at Georgia Tech, CJ SPiller. SOOOOO, If not Buddy Nix then who? AJ Smith has proved he sucks as a GM and talent evaluator since Buddy Nix left the Chargers.

Is the problem with Buffalo Bills scouts, and scouting dept? I know Buddy Nix fired Tom Modrak in 2011 and the entire Bills fan base cheered that move. I know it endeared him with me despite all the bad moves up till then because we could blame them on Modrak. 2010 and the 2011 drafts sucked big for the Bills. 2012 was better. But still, no where near those spectacular Charger drafts. No QB in the last 3 years when other teams have chosen QB's and made the playoffs

Chan Gailey married QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buddy Nix married Chan Gailey, Ralph Wilson married to Buddy Nix. The worst part of Chan Gailey has been his choices for defensive coordinator over the last 3 years.

We fans KNOW that Nix, Gailey, Wannstedt should be fired after this season ends. That a top president, GM, HC should be the highest priority in order to win games and sell more season tickets. This franchise is desperate for someone who knows talent in player personnel, talent in coaches, talent in assistant coaches. The people currently in charge showed the world they don't know!

I know most of you will hate this statement, but I can see Ralph Wilson being loyal to Buddy Nix for one more season. After all, he gave Jauron more then 3 years. :sick:

I have said it many times before here the last few weeks, Chan is done. I don't see him being fired, but he will most likely step down and retire. Just listening to him he is broken and beaten, and sounds like someone who will retire and move on. The Bills don't want to start all over again by cleaning house and know that this years team grossly underachieved cause they do have alot of talent on the roster, give 'Stache the HC position and he hires replacement co-ordinators for O and D. Its not what the fans want, but it changes things up by putting someone new in charge without completly blowing things up and starting again from scratch. Even Saint Polian said recently that he doesn't think blowing it up every 3 years is going to be good and they need to stick with continuity. Nix I can see staying on until atleast the draft where afterwards he may step down and retire also, leaving the job to Whaley, or this upcoming year will probably be his last after he feels he either did all he could to tunr them around, or feels he has solidified a foundation for the team and can leave the team to Whaley to build from there.

I would say that there is less then a 50% chance that Chan even wants to continue on after this season. He just looks and sounds beaten and done, like he just doesn't know what to do anymore to fix things and that he is getting too old for this.

Why would a 60 year old coach at his final NFL job retire, and leave big money on the table? When, if he's fired he still collects the checks, NO way does Chan turn away money for and from this pathetic organization.

Why would a 60 year old coach at his final NFL job retire, and leave big money on the table? When, if he's fired he still collects the checks, NO way does Chan turn away money for and from this pathetic organization.

Because he has already made money over his career and it isn't worth the continued strees and aggrevation for him to stay?

Not everyone is willing to keep doing things that are breaking them just because theres money involved. He probably has enough money already saved to live comfortably as a retired coach. It might be his last chance as a HC, but I'm sure there are teams that are out there that may offer him a position as a consultant or something elss stressful then what he has now. How many here thought Jauron was done in the NFL after the Bills fired him?

Because he has already made money over his career and it isn't worth the continued strees and aggrevation for him to stay?

Not everyone is willing to keep doing things that are breaking them just because theres money involved. He probably has enough money already saved to live comfortably as a retired coach. It might be his last chance as a HC, but I'm sure there are teams that are out there that may offer him a position as a consultant or something elss stressful then what he has now. How many here thought Jauron was done in the NFL after the Bills fired him?

You vastly underestimate Chan Gaileys stubbornness to change. This is the same man who married a broken QB the last 3 years, and hasn't even asked to draft a rookie to groom, and refuses to allow any QB controversy by having a decent backup QB.

Furthermore, I don't even know why I'm addressing this post because you suggested the most ridiculous move ever by making Dave Wannstedt head coach. :doh: Why, because he brings some semblance of continuity to the team? while forgetting that this man is by far the very worst defensive coordinator the Bills have ever hired. Wannstedt took more talent and did less with it then any other DC in the history of the franchise.

If the Bills make only one change in coaching this off season it should be FIRING Dave Wannstooge, and hiring a top DC to run their 4-3. A top 10 defense and this team wins at the very least 3 more games this year, perhaps more.

If both Nix and Gailey return in 2013 it signals that Brandon isn't being given the responsibility commensurate with the CEO job.

Season ticket sales were slumping before the Mario signing and only hit 44k this year despite being around 55k in 2008-09. Both of these guys returning means his job is infinitely harder and gate revenue will suffer tremendously.

Brandon has stated over and over that he has ZERO control over the football side of the business. He says that Buddy reports directly to Ralph. Brandon's title is misleading. He does not run the whole show. He runs the business/marketing side. Nix runs the football operations side and Ralph and his bean counters (Littman/Overdorf, etc) have final veto power over both. So technically, I would say Brandon and Nix are both Vice Presidents.

You vastly underestimate Chan Gaileys stubbornness to change. This is the same man who married a broken QB the last 3 years, and hasn't even asked to draft a rookie to groom, and refuses to allow any QB controversy by having a decent backup QB.

Furthermore, I don't even know why I'm addressing this post because you suggested the most ridiculous move ever by making Dave Wannstedt head coach. :doh: Why, because he brings some semblance of continuity to the team? while forgetting that this man is by far the very worst defensive coordinator the Bills have ever hired. Wannstedt took more talent and did less with it then any other DC in the history of the franchise.

If the Bills make only one change in coaching this off season it should be FIRING Dave Wannstooge, and hiring a top DC to run their 4-3. A top 10 defense and this team wins at the very least 3 more games this year, perhaps more.

Funny how last season this was exactly what everyone wanted because George Edwards was the worst DC in the history of the NFL. I never said I liked it or was pushing for this to happen, its just what I see happening this offseason. The reason why I see the Bills naming him HC AND getting a new OC and DC is that he is the only one with substantial HC experience on his resume, and this move will cause the least amount of turnover to the current coaching staff which will keep them from starting over again from scratch.

I guess my comment has top be rediculous though because its just so easy to do what you are suggesting, fire DW and just hire a top DC who runs a 4-3 defence, cause those guys are always just available and waiting to be hired all the time. A top 10 defence, if, as you suggest wins atleast 3 more games this year, still keeps the Bills out of the playoffs since no AFC team is even making the playoffs at 8-8.

According to John Clayton of ESPN, he thinks its a better then 50% chance the Bills keep Gailey as HC.

"In the AFC East, disappointing seasons by Rex Ryan with the New York Jets and Chan Gailey of the Buffalo Bills could cost them their jobs, but there is better than 50 percent chance they will stay."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8777409/nfl-tis-season-coaching-changes

Lets not forget that Buddy Nix stated Chan is his HC for 2013 and perhaps longer, so if Nix stays, then so does Chan.

All these posts speculating who the new HC or GM might be could be moot unless Ralph Wilson makes a decision after the NY Jets game. The fans that want change need to make a statement and stay away from this game or wear paper bags :bag: Let Ralph Wilson know you are NOT happy and will not be buying season tickets unless changes are made.

If Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix signed 5 year contracts it could be difficult for this owner to make a change after this season! 2 more years of this .... :doh:

PS TT tweet about "its on like a mofo" might be about something other then a HC / GM change.

Is this like a weather prediction? No one knows for sure but it might rain and it might not...

Clayton is being really optimistic. I think it's realistic that both teams break out the bleach and disinfect.

In Buffalo, I'm convinced Chan isn't retained and Nix retires.

IN NY, I think Tannenbaum is a goner, and the new GM hires his own coach.

I think this offseason is going to be an eye opener with plenty of franchises firing coaches/GMs. You've got NY, BUF, PHI, SD, ARI, CHI, KC and even TEN and OAK...as all possibilities, not to mention if the Ford Family is anxious in DET and replaces Schwartz.

Clayton is being really optimistic. I think it's realistic that both teams break out the bleach and disinfect.

I think this offseason is going to be an eye opener with plenty of franchises firing coaches/GMs. You've got NY, BUF, PHI, SD, ARI, CHI, KC and even TEN and OAK...as all possibilities, not to mention if the Ford Family is anxious in DET and replaces Schwartz.

I think Lovie in Chicago might be safe. Ten and oakland might be safe too because they did just bring those guys in recently, pretty Knee Jerk if they fire them already. The rest I could all see being a potential for HC and even GM openings

As for Gailey and Nix, I think Nix stays around for atleast one more year, the earliest he is gone would be after teh Draft I think, then he elects to hand over the spot to Whaley. I would say theres less then 5% chance he is fired though. Gailey more then likely steps down/retires Monday

Agreed...I get the same feeling, and he can do Buddy a solid by simply stepping down... B-)

Oakland came out a couple days ago and said the HC and McKenzie were safe for another year...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000115079/article/report-raiders-to-keep-allen-mckenzie-eye-anderson

Schefter says Schwartz is safe for 2013...

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-jim-schwartzs-job-is-safe-in-detroit/

Oakland came out a couple days ago and said the HC and McKenzie were safe for another year...

http://www.nfl.com/n...ie-eye-anderson

Schefter says Schwartz is safe for 2013...

http://profootballzo...afe-in-detroit/

Isn't that usually considered the "Kiss of Death", getting the endorsement of the Franchise for another year?

Isn't that usually considered the "Kiss of Death", getting the endorsement of the Franchise for another year?

Maybe...But Schwartz has 3 years remaining on his deal...And I'm sure McKenzie and Allen have at least a couple...They were only hired a year ago...Not sure either Team wants to eat that kind of cash... B-)