home heater boiler [mine] catches fire

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. but you can possess the stuff only on your property .

Looks like I'm in good shape. Just talked to allstate and no mater what this costs I am only liable for the $1000 deductable. And they pay any lost rent till the repairs are made :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer:

We have a good friend whose house got flooded from a burst pipe. It's going to require 3 plus months of them in a hotel and $250,000 worth of work and they only have to pay the $1,000 deductible. Whis I could have the whole inside of my house redone for $1,000.

this good friend doesn't live in richmond va? does he/she? my friend just came home sunday/monday to find his house flooded from a water line to the washing machine malfunctioning somehow...

We have a good friend whose house got flooded from a burst pipe. It's going to require 3 plus months of them in a hotel and $250,000 worth of work and they only have to pay the $1,000 deductible. Whis I could have the whole inside of my house redone for $1,000.

That is good news. Did the tenants go to a motel ?

One's gone, I think he went to his mother in laws. Rest still here. The 1300 watt space heaters are doing a fantastic job.keeping the place warm. The only hardship is no hot water and the others are dealing with it. In fact one tenant threw a family christmas party in his apt.

Looks like I'm in good shape. Just talked to allstate and no mater what this costs I am only liable for the $1000 deductable. And they pay any lost rent till the repairs are made :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer:

So is that why they all say YOU BETCHA??

I guess this situation intrigues me so pardon all the questions.

Did they determine a cause and also, will you be changing the floor underneath the boiler?

One's gone, I think he went to his mother in laws. Rest still here. The 1300 watt space heaters are doing a fantastic job.keeping the place warm. The only hardship is no hot water and the others are dealing with it. In fact one tenant threw a family christmas party in his apt.

Keep in mind those 1300 watt space heaters draw about 11 amps so they can overload a circuit and start a fire too.

Please be careful Jim.

Also, get some smoke detectors and CO2 sensors for your house.

They save lives. You got lucky this time.

this good friend doesn't live in richmond va? does he/she? my friend just came home sunday/monday to find his house flooded from a water line to the washing machine malfunctioning somehow...

No, Orange county CA. These folks always have an issue going on. Whenever things are hard for us I tell the wife just call the ______________s, it will make our problems minor in comparison.

I guess this situation intrigues me so pardon all the questions.

Did they determine a cause and also, will you be changing the floor underneath the boiler?

Keep in mind those 1300 watt space heaters draw about 11 amps so they can overload a circuit and start a fire too.

Please be careful Jim.

Also, get some smoke detectors and CO2 sensors for your house.

They save lives. You got lucky this time.

Replace the floor ? hell yes its gone. I mean gone to the point that I can see the joists under it. The joists are being replaced, they look like a burnt match.

Not the first time I've used space heaters. Put one on each circuit breaker[bedroom breaker, living room breaker,etc] and they will run forever. Put 2 on a breaker and it trips immediately. No fire, the breaker does it's job and shuts the circuit down.

Lucky? I have 2 smoke detectors per unit as required by code. I don't need to "get" any.

Replace the floor ? hell yes its gone. I mean gone to the point that I can see the joists under it. The joists are being replaced, they look like a burnt match.

Not the first time I've used space heaters. Put one on each circuit breaker[bedroom breaker, living room breaker,etc] and they will run forever. Put 2 on a breaker and it trips immediately. No fire, the breaker does it's job and shuts the circuit down.

Lucky? I have 2 smoke detectors per unit as required by code. I don't need to "get" any.

Did you find out what the cause was?

When I say replace the floor, I mean using a different subflooring like a cementitious product like HardieBacker instead of a wood product.

Also you said the tenant woke you up so I assumed you didn't have any detectors near the boiler.

Glad you're alright.

What was the water bill? Of course the pipe burst AFTER the water meter?

I lost that battle with my wife years ago... Shutting the valves off after each use. Anyway, why not get braided hoses? Stainless braided are the way to go... I just never had time to sweat in one of those 1/4 turn, single throw valves...

No, Orange county CA. These folks always have an issue going on. Whenever things are hard for us I tell the wife just call the ______________s, it will make our problems minor in comparison.

I hear you... They don't seem to diligent... How does a copper pipe burst? Especially in a warm area.

Yeah... Smoke detectors can work a bit late... Arc fault might have helped??

EDIT: Ooops, my bad... You sad gas was the problem... Right? Scratch that arc fault... But they do help even where a circuit breaker falls short.

Jim glad to know you are ok. That is some scary sh....

Exiled - to your earlier note - had braided stainless steel water lines in washer in the last house. We took a lightening strike somewhere near or perhaps on the house. It shorted and burned the washer water line and also the gas line to the stove on the opposite side of the wall. Fortunately only blew a pinhole leak in both. Gas line started on fire - luckily very small flame and we were home. Turned off main and had fire department out. The waterline hole was so small only a drip leak. It took two rounds of puddles on the tile floor to realize the problem was not some inadvertent spill.

All in all we were very lucky. Had we not been home and smelled smoke we likely would have had very serious damage from the gas line and resulting flame.

Exiled - to your earlier note - had braided stainless steel water lines in washer in the last house. We took a lightening strike somewhere near or perhaps on the house. It shorted and burned the washer water line and also the gas line to the stove on the opposite side of the wall. Fortunately only blew a pinhole leak in both. Gas line started on fire - luckily very small flame and we were home. Turned off main and had fire department out. The waterline hole was so small only a drip leak. It took two rounds of puddles on the tile floor to realize the problem was not some inadvertent spill.

All in all we were very lucky. Had we not been home and smelled smoke we likely would have had very serious damage from the gas line and resulting flame.

Wow! Glad you are okay! That's is gonna make me enforce the the "turn off the water valves after each use" policy again... Wife's gonna hate it!

That is curious. Wonder why just those two lines? Nothing else was affected?

Electricity follows the path of least resistance.

Is your electrical properly panel bonded (grounded) to your water line?... Assuming you have Cu or galvinzed Fe pipes? Do you have any jumpers around any plastic additions (like around the meter, water filters, softeners)?

Actually, new NEC calls for that bond to be directly delivered to BEFORE the water meter... Not just at any location of the water line. Probably a good idea to do that even if you are grandfathered in under old code. Same with running a third wire (green ground) in any pipe/conduit that gets by just on mechanical protection (the conduit/EMT) alone.

One of the best reasons to use copper/galvinized Fe for water... Same with conduit (mechanical) to carry your electrical wiring. If the lightning would have struck... It easily picked up on of those systems and easily dispersed it to the ground.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois