home heater boiler [mine] catches fire

The previous poster does use the words: "It seems to me:" "It is highly possible." They are not saying that they claim to know it all, especially being tempted with a screenname like the one listed (JiA). But, that is not the issue... Myself, I am calling BS on the whole whole crap that started this silly pissing contest. That is: Jim turning his thread political, having it moved to PPP by slamming people on the left and gov't workers for being union and lazy. That is what inflamed a poster like myself and got the thread moved by the mods. I am calling BS because it appears IF he lives in Anchorage, he can get an inspector out to his house any damn time, including holidays and weekends! BUT, he has to pay a premium above and beyond what is included in the price of a permit... A steep premium to the tune of 300+ dollars an hour with a 2 hour minimum. Again, I guess you get what you pay for. Want them to jump on a cold, dark Saturday morning... You are paying 700 bucks. Isn't' that a small price to pay for 4 families with no heat and hot water, heck think what Allstate is willfully and legally obligated to pay? I am not sure what rent is on one unit, put it has to be close to that amount per month... No. It is cheaper to wait in line for the routine inspection, included in the price of the permit, to come around and make sure things are in order! Who's zoomin' who here? I guess go out and get a few heaters @ Lowe's and strain the electrical system then cry to your tenants (and everybody else on the board) that big bad gov't is putting the hammer and squeeze down on them from taking a hot shower.

What ever facts can be gleaned from this BS story is that they surely suck. I didn't throw the first political volley into this silly argument... He did. He does it all the time. What did he expect placing the thing in OTW and then after 4 pages turn it political. Sorry Charlie, it is what it is.

Yeah, I am dick... But, not a big enough dick not drop a grand on my bread and butter and then slam the gov't...

You are such a stupid clown. whats the first thing needed on the 24 hour hot line you are so proud of? A PERMIT # THAT I DON'T HAVE TILL THEY COME IN THE FIRST PLACE WHICH TOOK 2 WEEKS..

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are such a stupid clown. whats the first thing needed on the 24 hour hot line you are so proud of? A PERMIT # THAT I DON'T HAVE TILL THEY COME IN THE FIRST PLACE WHICH TOOK 2 WEEKS..

It says that you can commence emergency work right away as long as you fill out and submit the permit application the next working day and call the hotline prior to commencing work giving contact information, scope of work, and location. Why would they want a permit number when you don't even have one yet? Seems like you waited two weeks unnecessarily...

Retrofit Hotline: emergency equipment replacement and limited electrical installations

Building Safety provides a message hotline for contractors responding to emergency equipment replacement such as boilers or water heaters. The retrofit hotline is also used for minor electrical installations as provided by Policy E.11 Limited Scope Electrical Alteration Permits." This service protects a contractor or home owner from receiving a notice of permit requirement and fines that are associated with work being performed without a valid permit. The contractor or home owner must call the Building Safety Hotline at 343-7500 before commencing work, providing contact information, scope of work, and location. The permit application shall be submitted within the next working day.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It says that you can commence emergency work right away as long as you fill out and submit the permit application the next working day and call the hotline prior to commencing work giving contact information, scope of work, and location. Why would they want a permit number when you don't even have one yet? Seems like you waited two weeks unnecessarily...

Retrofit Hotline: emergency equipment replacement and limited electrical installations

Building Safety provides a message hotline for contractors responding to emergency equipment replacement such as boilers or water heaters. The retrofit hotline is also used for minor electrical installations as provided by Policy E.11 Limited Scope Electrical Alteration Permits." This service protects a contractor or home owner from receiving a notice of permit requirement and fines that are associated with work being performed without a valid permit. The contractor or home owner must call the Building Safety Hotline at 343-7500 before commencing work, providing contact information, scope of work, and location. The permit application shall be submitted within the next working day.

WTF, we now need the government to get involved with the replacement of a water heater in my home?

Do you ever read your cut and pastes?

WTF, we now need the government to get involved with the replacement of a water heater in my home?

I see what you are saying. I am pretty sure that even where I live in Illinois that I don't have to pull a permit to add a water heater... EVEN A CONTRACTOR. Heck, I just had a new roof put on last summer and the contractor pulled the permit in an hour... No inspection either... I am not sure what my rules are but, I will check when mine finally goes out. I do all my plumbing DIY. Same when I changed my water softener back in 2008... HECK, the original install was by a contractor (a bit more complicated since they had to reconfigure major copper water lines) and he didn't pull a permit!

To Jim's credit, AK and Anchorage does seem to have very strict building rules... Here in Illinois you have to run conduit for all electrical... BUT, they aren't as picky with permits for DIY. Maybe it is the same way in AK w/DIY? But man those prices are steep for premium service. Being in a red state you would think it would be different with regard to the squeeze by the gov't... Like I said, general taxes are low, so they make it with fees I guess. Yet, then again... Anchorage is very susceptible to earthquake and other calamities... They probably ramp up the codes even stricter?? Who knows?

Anyway... He has major work, that has got to be the problem? It is a rental, so a contractor MUST (like Jim said) do the work.

Not to argue. I just don't see where the gov't is being mean and nasty... Everything posted with regard to the rules seems reasonable. There are emergency provisions in place and the gov't seems to be working for the people. I know it is frustrating... Dealing with 4 families requires having a disaster relief plan in place (along with their plans).

Again... I wish him all the luck. Sorry to get sucked into his rant about "the left" and "PPP." He cast the first stones in the wrong forum (as usual).

Do you ever read your cut and pastes?

Read the 21st word I typed in my post. I noted the word APPLICATION.

Are you getting the procedure here?

You need emergency work done.

1. You call the hotline and tell them the scope of work, location, and contact info.

2. You commence the work WITHOUT A PERMIT or application for permit.

3. The next working day, you apply for the permit!

4. Two weeks (I guess it takes) it comes.

What part don't you understand. You can do the work without a permit as long as you call first and give them information. Then the next business day, you fill out the paperwork.

You had major structural, that is a problem... BUT this system doesn't preclude you from installing a temporary boiler or water heater... SEEMS you didn't have to wait two whole weeks for the application process to go through before emergency work is done?

I see what you are saying. I am pretty sure that even where I live in Illinois that I don't have to pull a permit to add a water heater... EVEN A CONTRACTOR. Heck, I just had a new roof put on last summer and the contractor pulled the permit in an hour... No inspection either... I am not sure what my rules are but, I will check when mine finally goes out. I do all my plumbing DIY. Same when I changed my water softener back in 2008... HECK, the original install was by a contractor (a bit more complicated since they had to reconfigure major copper water lines) and he didn't pull a permit!

To Jim's credit, AK and Anchorage does seem to have very strict building rules... Here in Illinois you have to run conduit for all electrical... BUT, they aren't as picky with permits for DIY. Maybe it is the same way in AK w/DIY? But man those prices are steep for premium service. Being in a red state you would think it would be different with regard to the squeeze by the gov't... Like I said, general taxes are low, so they make it with fees I guess. Yet, then again... Anchorage is very susceptible to earthquake and other calamities... They probably ramp up the codes even stricter?? Who knows?

Anyway... He has major work, that has got to be the problem? It is a rental, so a contractor MUST (like Jim said) do the work.

Not to argue. I just don't see where the gov't is being mean and nasty... Everything posted with regard to the rules seems reasonable. There are emergency provisions in place and the gov't seems to be working for the people. I know it is frustrating... Dealing with 4 families requires having a disaster relief plan in place (along with their plans).

Again... I wish him all the luck. Sorry to get sucked into his rant about "the left" and "PPP." He cast the first stones in the wrong forum (as usual).

Read the 21st word I typed in my post. I noted the word APPLICATION.

Are you getting the procedure here?

You need emergency work done.

1. You call the hotline and tell them the scope of work, location, and contact info.

2. You commence the work WITHOUT A PERMIT or application for permit.

3. The next working day, you apply for the permit!

4. Two weeks (I guess it takes) it comes.

What part don't you understand. You can do the work without a permit as long as you call first and give them information. Then the next business day, you fill out the paperwork.

You had major structural, that is a problem... BUT this system doesn't preclude you from installing a temporary boiler or water heater... SEEMS you didn't have to wait two whole weeks for the application process to go through before emergency work is done?

So you think my contracter has none of this information that you got off the internet?

So you think my contracter has none of this information that you got off the internet?

Gee... That new fangled internet has been around for how long?

I sure hope your contractor does (know)! If they did not, I would grill 'em on why they didn't know!

Anyway... I think Wacka was the first to allude to having such a system in place... Seems like there is. As long as you call the hot line, give them the info... I see no reason why you couldn't put in temporary appliances without a permit (until the contractor could apply the next business day) and aid your tenants.

Why drop dookie on the building department? There are systems in place to help you out.

Knowledge is your friend!

In Caliifornia, you need a permit and an inspection to replace a water heater. They have to inspect that it was lashed to the studs with metal bands, so that it won't tip over in a quake.

Probably same in Alaska since Anchorage is a major quake area (9.2 Good Friday Quake in 1964, second largest ever recorded).

Edited by Wacka

In Caliifornia, you need a permit and an inspection to replace a water heater. They have to inspect that it was lashed to the studs with metal bands, so that it won't tip over in a quake.

Probably same in Alaska since Anchorage is a major quake area (9.2 Good Friday Quake in 1964, second largest ever recorded).

Yep earthquake straps. Went through that when I replaced the heaters 5 years ago. Although a quake capable of tipping over those heaters would probably reduce the house to rubble still had to be done.

My plumber installed my water heater to code but no inspection was required.

When I installed my softener... I noticed that the installation manual said that it has to be installed by a bonded, licensed installer in Mass. In California, it said that the "salt saver mode" HAS to be enabled... Wow... Now they have "softener police" running around! Why don't they just out right ban the machines... ;-) ;-)

Anyway... I can see the inspection/water heater pedestal/strap thing... Even in very mild quakes, tremors I suppose the thing could jiggle. God forbid a gas line kinks (hence no aluminum tubing through walls, floor or partition... And Al fittings gotta be brazed, not soldered, OR: flare fitted. Cali is actually banning ALL Aluminum gas lines) and doesn't start a fire right away... You seen what that Indiana explosion did!

My plumber installed my water heater to code but no inspection was required.

Probably certain municipalities? Like my roof, the contractor got the permit... I do not think the inspector was out? The contractor has done a ton of work in the area and I suppose he was trusted? While they were doing the work... I ported out the bathroom exhaust fans to the roof... For some reason (actually I know the reason) the original builder had them only going up to the crawl space! :-O So, I made sure the exhaust duct work was up to snuff/code.

When I installed my softener... I noticed that the installation manual said that it has to be installed by a bonded, licensed installer in Mass. In California, it said that the "salt saver mode" HAS to be enabled... Wow... Now they have "softener police" running around! Why don't they just out right ban the machines... ;-) ;-)

Anyway... I can see the inspection/water heater pedestal/strap thing... Even in very mild quakes, tremors I suppose the thing could jiggle. God forbid a gas line kinks (hence no aluminum tubing through walls, floor or partition... And Al fittings gotta be brazed, not soldered, OR: flare fitted. Cali is actually banning ALL Aluminum gas lines) and doesn't start a fire right away... You seen what that Indiana explosion did!

Probably certain municipalities? Like my roof, the contractor got the permit... I do not think the inspector was out? The contractor has done a ton of work in the area and I suppose he was trusted? While they were doing the work... I ported out the bathroom exhaust fans to the roof... For some reason (actually I know the reason) the original builder had them only going up to the crawl space! :-O So, I made sure the exhaust duct work was up to snuff/code.

Check for mold in your attic. At your house too.

So, you admit to the hole in your head, eh?

Good ventilation doesn't mean a hole.... Gotta have some place to blow off the steam. Unlike yourself who's too tightly wrapped, that is when the mold forms.

Oh, and hire a good contractor who doesn't pin it on big, bad nasty gov't.

:lol: It blew right over his tiny brain.

This tiny brain sure called out your anti-gov't BS and contractor! Says a lot when a tiny brain can own you 3,000 miles away. LoL... :-P :-P

Good ventilation doesn't mean a hole.... Gotta have some place to blow off the steam. Unlike yourself who's too tightly wrapped, that is when the mold forms.

Oh, and hire a good contractor who doesn't pin it on big, bad nasty gov't.

This tiny brain sure called out your anti-gov't BS and contractor! Says a lot when a tiny brain can own you 3,000 miles away. LoL... :-P :-P

Yeah you sure gave me a beat down. Found a web site. I just talk to the contractor and the city every day. But you found a web site you failed to read.

Why do I suspect that in real life you feel braying like a donkey adds to a discussion? It sure seems like some thing you would do and enjoy.

Yeah you sure gave me a beat down. Found a web site. I just talk to the contractor and the city every day. But you found a web site you failed to read.

Why do I suspect that in real life you feel braying like a donkey adds to a discussion? It sure seems like some thing you would do and enjoy.

Why do you feel like you have to bray like an azz that gov't is so big and nasty... You are so victimized by that meddlesome gov't intrusion in your life. Yeah right...

Dude... It is not just a web site... It is the city's direct information page and .PDF handouts. I don't know why you need to play the victim role and hate on the big, bad nasty gov't. You started the BS getting all political in the first place. You basically begged for this thread to be moved by invoking PPP and "the left." Calling it a "discussion" is an understatement the way you went off when this thread was still on OTW. Maybe you should join the victim thread about how your tenants don't have hot water because a permit application to big nasty gov't took two weeks to process. It surely didn't have to be like that. There are systems in place for such emergencies. Now, just admit that you screwed up by turning this all political. Start BS like this, call people out in your thread... Now you want to cry foul and play the victim routine? Because I called your bluff?... Whatever dude... All I'm pointing out is that there is a system in your city (if in fact you are in Anchorage) that is in place for work to be done BEFORE getting a permit AND during the application process. You should look into it next time instead of falsely slamming the people who work for your great city and state as lazy, pension collecting do nothings. By your own account, you talk to the city everyday... Maybe you should tell them what you really think of them and the job they are doing. My advice, stick to the internet information, you won't piss 'em off and you will get a permit faster. You picked the wrong person to spout your BS with... Now run along and go play the victim...

Why do you feel like you have to bray like an azz that gov't is so big and nasty... You are so victimized by that meddlesome gov't intrusion in your life. Yeah right...

Dude... It is not just a web site... It is the city's direct information page and .PDF handouts. I don't know why you need to play the victim role and hate on the big, bad nasty gov't. You started the BS getting all political in the first place. You basically begged for this thread to be moved by invoking PPP and "the left." Calling it a "discussion" is an understatement the way you went off when this thread was still on OTW. Maybe you should join the victim thread about how your tenants don't have hot water because a permit application to big nasty gov't took two weeks to process. It surely didn't have to be like that. There are systems in place for such emergencies. Now, just admit that you screwed up by turning this all political. Start BS like this, call people out in your thread... Now you want to cry foul and play the victim routine? Because I called your bluff?... Whatever dude... All I'm pointing out is that there is a system in your city (if in fact you are in Anchorage) that is in place for work to be done BEFORE getting a permit AND during the application process. You should look into it next time instead of falsely slamming the people who work for your great city and state as lazy, pension collecting do nothings. By your own account, you talk to the city everyday... Maybe you should tell them what you really think of them and the job they are doing. My advice, stick to the internet information, you won't piss 'em off and you will get a permit faster. You picked the wrong person to spout your BS with... Now run along and go play the victim...

:lol: You're a ass.