home heater boiler [mine] catches fire

And we have a winner. I was just told the gas valve leaked and started the fire. The valve was half molten aluminum.

Ouch. When I first moved into the house I had a steam boiler burn out when the water level went down (the auto shutoff didn't engage). Then the walls of a hot water boiler for another zone rusted through and collapsed that it exposed the combustion chamber. I had to learn heating self hel very fast. I wouldn't even begin to guess about a leaky gas valve. But the old owners used aluminum as the gas supply line, yet somehow it passed inspection.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. When I first moved into the house I had a steam boiler burn out when the water level went down (the auto shutoff didn't engage). Then the walls of a hot water boiler for another zone rusted through and collapsed that it exposed the combustion chamber. I had to learn heating self hel very fast. I wouldn't even begin to guess about a leaky gas valve. But the old owners used aluminum as the gas supply line, yet somehow it passed inspection.

And how did your homeowners insurance respond? That's my main concern at the moment.

I would check to see if the boiler was recalled. I am still hung up on the Al thing. I have heard of Al tubing for pilots and what not... But shouldn't everything else be black iron pipe?

JiA... What kinda pipe was the supply line? Was it also Al? You would think Al would get banged up and cause leaks? Copper shouldn't be used because some gas (gas company would have to make the call) is corrosive (too much H2S).

I stumbled upon this in an inspection site:

"Aluminum or flexible gas supply line installed through wall ceiling floor cabinet appliance housing between rigid pipes: to prevent vibration damage, flexible connectors and/or aluminum tubing should not be concealed within, or extended through, walls, floors, partitions, ceilings, or appliance housings. Any aluminum or flex tubing so installed, should be replaced with rigid gas pipe."

Hope this helps in explaining why something went wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Update 1/25. Fire happened 12/22. Still have no boiler or hot water tanks. In fact I have no utility room to put them in, its at the landfill. OK it happened 12/22 so there's a automatic 10 day holiday delay. Now once every one gets done celebrating Christmas and drinking in the new year, things are going to happen, right?

No. Takes the city a week to get a inspector out here to see if everything's up to code. No, the boiler room is to small, the joists are wrong by today's code. None of this was caused by the fire, so I'm thinking do I have to pay for this? So explain all this to Allstate. "Not at all, you have a $37,000 code upgrade policy[in addition to the normal coverage] never knew I had it B-)

So now things start to move. The demolition crew shows up with industrial size dumpsters, rips out the utility room and attached porch, all plumbing and wiring in 2 days. Ready to go,right?

No. the city needs to approve the contractors plans before they can begin work. Week now and counting before the stressed overworked city engineers can glance at the plans. After all, isn't January a peak construction period in Alaska?

How do these lazy over paid government/union workers occupy their "work" days? Posting on football forums? 4 families have been without hot water for over a month now because of a grossly inefficient bureaucracy. I have to scramble to explain to renters why nothing is being done

Yet the left on PPP say I would be in good hands with government.

Yet I put my self in the good hands of a evil insurance company and they are paying the bills and making things happen. The government is throwing road blocks in my way.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Oh they are working plenty hard-to kick me in the chops. And my tax's are paying them [with pension and benefits] to come over and make my life miserable.

Cry me a, albeit frozen, river.

I am one of "the left" that you rant and rail against... So be it. But it is hard to have sympathy because you do "get what you pay for." Now before you go ballistic... Hear me out. I would side with your end of the story if you were paying a ton of property taxes such as in states like CA, IL, NY, or MA. But, I am under the impression that AK has pretty low tax rates. No? How can you possibly expect the world and civil servants to jump? Again, unless I am wrong and you are paying taxes out the ying yang like some of the states I mentioned. All I can say is: caveat emptor. I am sorry your life is being made miserable... But you do get what you pay for...

Not gonna get Mercedes quality, paying a Yugo rate:

http://247wallst.com/2012/10/23/states-where-residents-pay-the-most-in-taxes/

Less than a 1/4 of all AK taxes were picked up by AK residents... Sorry we (out of state residents buying oil) all didn't kick in enough of our share to help you out!

1. Alaska

> Taxes paid by residents as pct. of income: 7.0%

> Total state and local taxes collected: $6.17 billion (11th lowest)

> Pct. of total taxes paid by residents: 24.5% (the lowest)

> Pct. of total taxes paid by non-residents: 75.5% (the highest)

Less than a quarter of all taxes in Alaska were paid by residents, by far the lowest rate in the U.S. Oil taxes made up the vast majority of the state’s revenue collection, amounting to $6.2 billion in 2010 and $7 billion in 2011, and likely to be even higher in 2012 due to rising oil prices. Alaska was one of just seven states without an individual income tax and one of just five without a state sales tax. However, Alaska collected $1,714 in property taxes per capita, the 10th highest of all states.

Cry me a, albeit frozen, river.

I am one of "the left" that you rant and rail against... So be it. But it is hard to have sympathy because you do "get what you pay for." Now before you go ballistic... Hear me out. I would side with your end of the story if you were paying a ton of property taxes such as in states like CA, IL, NY, or MA. But, I am under the impression that AK has pretty low tax rates. No? How can you possibly expect the world and civil servants to jump? Again, unless I am wrong and you are paying taxes out the ying yang like some of the states I mentioned. All I can say is: caveat emptor. I am sorry your life is being made miserable... But you do get what you pay for...

Not gonna get Mercedes quality, paying a Yugo rate:

http://247wallst.com...-most-in-taxes/

Less than a 1/4 of all AK taxes were picked up by AK residents... Sorry we (out of state residents buying oil) all didn't kick in enough of our share to help you out!

1. Alaska

> Taxes paid by residents as pct. of income: 7.0%

> Total state and local taxes collected: $6.17 billion (11th lowest)

> Pct. of total taxes paid by residents: 24.5% (the lowest)

> Pct. of total taxes paid by non-residents: 75.5% (the highest)

Less than a quarter of all taxes in Alaska were paid by residents, by far the lowest rate in the U.S. Oil taxes made up the vast majority of the state’s revenue collection, amounting to $6.2 billion in 2010 and $7 billion in 2011, and likely to be even higher in 2012 due to rising oil prices. Alaska was one of just seven states without an individual income tax and one of just five without a state sales tax. However, Alaska collected $1,714 in property taxes per capita, the 10th highest of all states.

You must be very proud to live in a state with multiple layers of confiscatory tax rates, Nazi Germany like gun laws and a national poster child for corruption as your government.

I envy you. Keep sending the checks sucker.

You must be very proud to live in a state with multiple layers of confiscatory tax rates, Nazi Germany like gun laws and a national poster child for corruption as your government.

lol. This made me chuckle.

On that note, I agree that the gun laws are getting pretty ridiculous. I don't own one personally and don't really have a need for one. I totally understand why everyone is in a tizzy about the new laws that are swiffering the nation at an alarming rate. It's a blatant violation of a persons constitutional rights. However, I don't see why what the big deal is at times. There really is no need to have assault rifles, or semi automatic pistols that can hold more than 7 rounds. I doubt there is any situations where a bolt action rifle, or a pistol with less than 7 rounds was needed for self defense was not enough.

With that said, I don't agree with it. It's a violation of my rights to own a weapon. In fact as law enforcement I cannot purchase an assault rifle to use now. Considering we must qualify with an assault rifle on an annual basis, if I don't qualify and lose my job because I am unable to practice throughout the year, can I pursue some type of lawsuit for this effecting my performance and losing out on millions over my 25 year career?

I will remember that when lax building practices and municipal codes catch my house on fire. Maybe Alaska is trying to catch up...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-21/business/chi-illinois-in-poorest-fiscal-condition-of-all-states-20120621_1_unfunded-pension-liability-general-fund-state-funds

And I'm sure it's the model of government efficiency, despite the stories my military friends tell me. You know, like the one where they tried to charge him full sale tax on a vehicle he bought in Alaska 8 years earlier. Their reason? You didn't pay taxes on it when you bought it.

Or my other buddy who bought a new house that wasn't completed until October of the year he bought it. They tried to charge him property tax for the entire year, despite the fact that he had all the required paperwork that stated he was only responsible from October on. That one took almost 4 months to resolve.

Yeah, you Illinois residents are certainly getting what you're paying for. :lol:

lol. This made me chuckle.

On that note, I agree that the gun laws are getting pretty ridiculous. I don't own one personally and don't really have a need for one. I totally understand why everyone is in a tizzy about the new laws that are swiffering the nation at an alarming rate. It's a blatant violation of a persons constitutional rights. However, I don't see why what the big deal is at times. There really is no need to have assault rifles, or semi automatic pistols that can hold more than 7 rounds. I doubt there is any situations where a bolt action rifle, or a pistol with less than 7 rounds was needed for self defense was not enough.

With that said, I don't agree with it. It's a violation of my rights to own a weapon. In fact as law enforcement I cannot purchase an assault rifle to use now. Considering we must qualify with an assault rifle on an annual basis, if I don't qualify and lose my job because I am unable to practice throughout the year, can I pursue some type of lawsuit for this effecting my performance and losing out on millions over my 25 year career?

I agree. Even know Jim's house burning down has nothing to do with gun laws, Americans are entitled to own guns.

Do you get on the job training? How many hours?

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06-21/business/chi-illinois-in-poorest-fiscal-condition-of-all-states-20120621_1_unfunded-pension-liability-general-fund-state-funds

And I'm sure it's the model of government efficiency, despite the stories my military friends tell me. You know, like the one where they tried to charge him full sale tax on a vehicle he bought in Alaska 8 years earlier. Their reason? You didn't pay taxes on it when you bought it.

Or my other buddy who bought a new house that wasn't completed until October of the year he bought it. They tried to charge him property tax for the entire year, despite the fact that he had all the required paperwork that stated he was only responsible from October on. That one took almost 4 months to resolve.

Yeah, you Illinois residents are certainly getting what you're paying for. :lol:

Yo... Ding a ling Darin... I was joking about paying for it. Everybody and every system wants a sweetheart deal... They all want the system to work for themselves, except the guy paying. Isn't this par for the course?

Where are those crooks Allstate based in? Know how they got started? Oops...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree. Even know Jim's house burning down has nothing to do with gun laws, Americans are entitled to own guns.

Yo... Ding a ling Darin... I was joking about paying for it. Everybody and every system wants a sweetheart deal... They all want the system to work for themselves, except the guy paying. Isn't this par for the course?

Where are those crooks Allstate based in? Know how they got started? Oops...

Illinois. They where a subsidiary of Sears. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Update 1/25. Fire happened 12/22. Still have no boiler or hot water tanks. In fact I have no utility room to put them in, its at the landfill. OK it happened 12/22 so there's a automatic 10 day holiday delay. Now once every one gets done celebrating Christmas and drinking in the new year, things are going to happen, right?

No. Takes the city a week to get a inspector out here to see if everything's up to code. No, the boiler room is to small, the joists are wrong by today's code. None of this was caused by the fire, so I'm thinking do I have to pay for this? So explain all this to Allstate. "Not at all, you have a $37,000 code upgrade policy[in addition to the normal coverage] never knew I had it B-)

So now things start to move. The demolition crew shows up with industrial size dumpsters, rips out the utility room and attached porch, all plumbing and wiring in 2 days. Ready to go,right?

No. the city needs to approve the contractors plans before they can begin work. Week now and counting before the stressed overworked city engineers can glance at the plans. After all, isn't January a peak construction period in Alaska?

How do these lazy over paid government/union workers occupy their "work" days? Posting on football forums? 4 families have been without hot water for over a month now because of a grossly inefficient bureaucracy. I have to scramble to explain to renters why nothing is being done

Yet the left on PPP say I would be in good hands with government.

Yet I put my self in the good hands of a evil insurance company and they are paying the bills and making things happen. The government is throwing road blocks in my way.

I wonder if those contractors that Allstate sent out to handle the repairs are union workers? Then again some non union, non english speaking contractor will do the work much cheaper but might cut a few corners and it probably won't be up to code.

I wonder if those contractors that Allstate sent out to handle the repairs are union workers? Then again some non union, non english speaking contractor will do the work much cheaper but might cut a few corners and it probably won't be up to code.

Allstate didn't hire the contractor. I did. And they seem to be very aware of code-never make a move till the city approves. Which is what is causing the delay. It takes them a week to come out and do a 5 minute inspection.

Allstate didn't hire the contractor. I did. And they seem to be very aware of code-never make a move till the city approves. Which is what is causing the delay. It takes them a week to come out and do a 5 minute inspection.

I am not defending them totally, I do not know what the work load is, how many inspectors... What not. Will you b*tch if they hire more engineers and inspectors? Obviously you are not the first in line. Again, you get what you pay for. I could understand your crying and whining if you were in a state like NYS... Obviously, you need a code upgrade (which thankfully Allstate is insulating you from)... Why is that? This is 2013 and the codes have been that FUBAR'd ? There is a reason why Alaska is getting on board with stricter codes... Of course part of the problem is local practice and culture. Then there is the whole earthquake thing too... Was your area built before the 1960's?

the on the job training is basically us going out there the morning of, learning the nomenclature of the weapons and proper safety techniques while watching some old fat guy do it with the gun in HIS hand. There is no practice run, it's as simple as, here's your rounds, load them in your magazines and lets do this.

Now with that all said, there is usually an instructor for every 2 people shooting and they assist like a spotter on not only the target downfield, but on your posture and mistakes while holding the weapon and aiming. In the end, if you have a job that requires you to hold a passing score with the AR-15 you must pass, and they do a lot to help you get there.

For those that don't have a job that requires that, including everyone else, you must score high enough to pass with the .38 (which only holds 6 rounds and is a revolver, guess the switch to the Glock won't be happening anytime soon) which again, they help quite a bit but there is no practice or dry run. In the end, if you fail, they will stay there all day until you get it.

Just trying to make a point though.

Thanks for listening.

And Jim, sorry to hear about all your troubles man. Which is the reason for the thread. Didnt mean to get it off topic and blow you up.