home heater boiler [mine] catches fire

Update 1/25. Fire happened 12/22. Still have no boiler or hot water tanks. In fact I have no utility room to put them in, its at the landfill. OK it happened 12/22 so there's a automatic 10 day holiday delay. Now once every one gets done celebrating Christmas and drinking in the new year, things are going to happen, right?

No. Takes the city a week to get a inspector out here to see if everything's up to code. No, the boiler room is to small, the joists are wrong by today's code. None of this was caused by the fire, so I'm thinking do I have to pay for this? So explain all this to Allstate. "Not at all, you have a $37,000 code upgrade policy[in addition to the normal coverage] never knew I had it B-)

So now things start to move. The demolition crew shows up with industrial size dumpsters, rips out the utility room and attached porch, all plumbing and wiring in 2 days. Ready to go,right?

No. the city needs to approve the contractors plans before they can begin work. Week now and counting before the stressed overworked city engineers can glance at the plans. After all, isn't January a peak construction period in Alaska?

How do these lazy over paid government/union workers occupy their "work" days? Posting on football forums? 4 families have been without hot water for over a month now because of a grossly inefficient bureaucracy. I have to scramble to explain to renters why nothing is being done

Yet the left on PPP say I would be in good hands with government.

Yet I put my self in the good hands of a evil insurance company and they are paying the bills and making things happen. The government is throwing road blocks in my way.

You would be dealing with the same bureaucracy in your local building dept. if Romney won the election. Don't blame the Democrats.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not defending them totally, I do not know what the work load is, how many inspectors... What not. Will you b*tch if they hire more engineers and inspectors? Obviously you are not the first in line. Again, you get what you pay for. I could understand your crying and whining if you were in a state like NYS... Obviously, you need a code upgrade (which thankfully Allstate is insulating you from)... Why is that? This is 2013 and the codes have been that FUBAR'd ? There is a reason why Alaska is getting on board with stricter codes... Of course part of the problem is local practice and culture. Then there is the whole earthquake thing too... Was your area built before the 1960's?

Christ you're whacked out on Alaska. The building dates from 1974 and you find it remarkable that there have been code changes since then and just now Alaska is "getting on board" Think I couldn't find buildings in Illinois from 1974 full of asbestos and lead paint? Is Illinois just now "getting on board?"

Christ you're whacked out on Alaska. The building dates from 1974 and you find it remarkable that there have been code changes since then and just now Alaska is "getting on board" Think I couldn't find buildings in Illinois from 1974 full of asbestos and lead paint? Is Illinois just now "getting on board?"

Yes.

But, we are talking other issues (health alone) with Mg3Si2O5(OH)4 (that is nicer to write than nasty asbestos) and Pb.

What you seem to be dealing with are structural issues... Heck you probably have romex running through your house...

You would be dealing with the same bureaucracy in your local building dept. if Romney won the election. Don't blame the Democrats.

True... BUT while the building department is taking the flak... The insurance companies are smiling! And rightly so!

the on the job training is basically us going out there the morning of, learning the nomenclature of the weapons and proper safety techniques while watching some old fat guy do it with the gun in HIS hand. There is no practice run, it's as simple as, here's your rounds, load them in your magazines and lets do this.

Now with that all said, there is usually an instructor for every 2 people shooting and they assist like a spotter on not only the target downfield, but on your posture and mistakes while holding the weapon and aiming. In the end, if you have a job that requires you to hold a passing score with the AR-15 you must pass, and they do a lot to help you get there.

For those that don't have a job that requires that, including everyone else, you must score high enough to pass with the .38 (which only holds 6 rounds and is a revolver, guess the switch to the Glock won't be happening anytime soon) which again, they help quite a bit but there is no practice or dry run. In the end, if you fail, they will stay there all day until you get it.

Just trying to make a point though.

Thanks for listening.

And Jim, sorry to hear about all your troubles man. Which is the reason for the thread. Didnt mean to get it off topic and blow you up.

Wow... Point taken. No problem. Yet, it could be worse, cops could be out gunned as they were in the 1920's and 1930's... J/K...

Yes.

But, we are talking other issues (health alone) with Mg3Si2O5(OH)4 (that is nicer to write than nasty asbestos) and Pb.

What you seem to be dealing with are structural issues... Heck you probably have romex running through your house...

True... BUT while the building department is taking the flak... The insurance companies are smiling! And rightly so!

Wow... Point taken. No problem. Yet, it could be worse, cops could be out gunned as they were in the 1920's and 1930's... J/K...

Do ever get anything right? The insurance companies are smiling? THEY ARE PAYING THE BILL FOR CODE UPGRADES.

God reading your posts I wonder how you function with out help.

JIA and his tenants have no hot water in Alaska in the coldest part of the year. The city should have measures that would expedite the process in emergencies and get everything done in a few days.

Do ever get anything right? The insurance companies are smiling? THEY ARE PAYING THE BILL FOR CODE UPGRADES.

God reading your posts I wonder how you function with out help.

You are such a dunce.

In the long run... You gotta safer house. In the long run it costs them less. You are not breaking the bank... You pay the premiums. If you were breaking their bank, they wouldn't have offered the policy. I am sure they know how to stay in business.

JIA and his tenants have no hot water in Alaska in the coldest part of the year. The city should have measures that would expedite the process in emergencies and get everything done in a few days.

They should. Like I said, you get what you pay for... If he was in NYS... Paying out the ying yang, I can see your point. What do you want @ bargain basement tax rates? The world? I guess people wait in "cold Alaska." Yeah it sucks...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You are such a dunce.

In the long run... You gotta safer house. In the long run it costs them less. You are not breaking the bank... You pay the premiums. If you were breaking their bank, they wouldn't have offered the policy. I am sure they know how to stay in business.

They should. Like I said, you get what you pay for... If he was in NYS... Paying out the ying yang, I can see your point. What do you want @ bargain basement tax rates? The world? I guess people wait in "cold Alaska." Yeah it sucks...

Christ I can't belive I got sucked into a "discussion" with a babbling idiot, and that's what you are. Since you think tax rates determine government response time I pay $4300 a year in PT. What do you pay? If I paid more would the city inspectors get off their chair faster and get out here and do a 5 minute look see in hours not days?

Christ I can't belive I got sucked into a "discussion" with a babbling idiot, and that's what you are. Since you think tax rates determine government response time I pay $4300 a year in PT. What do you pay? If I paid more would the city inspectors get off their chair faster and get out here and do a 5 minute look see in hours not days?

$5200 on a single family house (150K new in 1996).

Space heaters for heat. 2 1500 watt units per apartment and you can run the room temps up to 90 if you wish. $21 a piece at Lowes, best money I ever spent. Hot water off stove.

If only you paid more in taxes...

/eii

Space heaters for heat. 2 1500 watt units per apartment and you can run the room temps up to 90 if you wish. $21 a piece at Lowes, best money I ever spent. Hot water off stove.

Hope the electical is up to snuff code wise: :nana:

I am just busting your balls... No hard feelings, hope everything works out. Like Wacka said: maybe they should have a "triage system" when it comes getting out to the residences that need immediate attention. Your paperwork is probably stuck in a back log of other files... Well, I hope that is the excuse they use!

And whats the appraisal today? I know you enjoy paying tax's have you fought for it to go up?

Heck... With the hard market... 170-180. Heck, you can buy a nice house in my town for 30k...

And whats the appraisal today? I know you enjoy paying tax's have you fought for it to go up?

It actually went down for a while a few years back... to about 4600... In 1996, I was paying 4200. I don't live in Cook County or my taxes would be lower if I moved the house a mile to the north. Cook (Chicago) is the only county that taxes differently (PT) in Illinois.

Hope the electical is up to snuff code wise: :nana:

I am just busting your balls... No hard feelings, hope everything works out. Like Wacka said: maybe they should have a "triage system" when it comes getting out to the residences that need immediate attention. Your paperwork is probably stuck in a back log of other files... Well, I hope that is the excuse they use!

Heck... With the hard market... 170-180. Heck, you can buy a nice house in my town for 30k...

Where do you live? 30K is pretty cheap compared to San Diego county.

Where do you live? 30K is pretty cheap compared to San Diego county.

Will County... They cheaper homes are older... 50-60's old... BUT nice... No basement slabs, small by many standards. Fixer upper's The really dirt cheap one's (I seen one sign post for as low as 20K!) probably need way more work...

Better yet I could copy the state EiI admires so much and slip the inspector a envelope full of cash.

I don't admire it in the least! By far, it has its warts... Ton of shacks out in the sticks... But livable.

If only you paid more in taxes...

/eii

Wait till he gets an arc fault and starts to whine and cry about that... He'll wish they made him stick to the NEC... :nana:

Will County... They cheaper homes are older... 50-60's old... BUT nice... No basement slabs, small by many standards. Fixer upper's The really dirt cheap one's (I seen one sign post for as low as 20K!) probably need way more work...

I don't admire it in the least! By far, it has its warts... Ton of shacks out in the sticks... But livable.

Wait till he gets an arc fault and starts to whine and cry about that... He'll wish they made him stick to the NEC... :nana:

Again do you function without help? You seem to have no grasp of anything I have written and force me to repeat myself over and over

Again do you function without help? You seem to have no grasp of anything I have written and force me to repeat myself over and over

Please... No more whining and crying, that I won't force you to do. I get it. Gov=bad, slow and lazy. Please, I wish they would just drop everything... Put down their coffee, inter-office Super Bowl pool, internet connection and run on over to your house for 5 minutes...

Please... No more whining and crying, that I won't force you to do. I get it. Gov=bad, slow and lazy. Please, I wish they would just drop everything... Put down their coffee, inter-office Super Bowl pool, internet connection and run on over to your house for 5 minutes...

So you agree with me then. Doubt if I could have said it better myself..