Could new lease agreement hurt attendance for the next few years?

goynahan

First of all, it's great news that something has been done and we will have, at the very minimum, 7 more years (though I don't think they're ever going to really leave).

But thinking about the current mental state of bills fans, could this hurt attendance? We have filled the stadium consistently over the past 13 years, relentlessly supporting a poor product. Aside from the fun of going to a game and the eternal hope we have that this year will be better than the last, I think another reason people have continued to fill the stadium is because we fear what an empty stadium would do to the chances of the team staying in town. I know I personally have attended meaningless, playoff-implicationless games late in December just out of pure support and to do my part to alleviate the chance they could use low attendance as an excuse for leaving.

So next year, when its December and the bills are out of the hunt, will more people choose to stay home because they know the team isn't going anywhere for the next decade? I wonder.

I don't think that the December cold weather and out of it syndrome is any worse post new lease signing. But, I am still very incensed about the Bills having four home games in December. (if you count Toronto) I beilieve this is league official underlings dumping on the Bills, Brandon, Mr. Wilson, and the Buffalo fans. They are totally ignoring the marketing aspects of the Buffalo weather/open stadium, and they don't care. I would not have a hard time with a Sep/OCt/Nov/DEc breakdown of 2/2/2/2 in terms of home games, that would be statistically average. Somethng is rotten in the NFL scheduling system vis a via the Bills. And, this problem is not limited to this year, look at other recent schedules. And when, I ask, have we seen four home games in one month of September or October. the Bills nation is being disrespected by the NFL in my view.

We have filled the stadium consistently over the past 13 years, relentlessly supporting a poor product.

This fact, more than anything scares me. Even if we get a new owner all that owner has to do is field a team and fans buy tickets. They will make a lot of money even if the team isn't successful.

I don't know the answer to the following question but I worry about it: If the Buffalo Bills owner is John Smith and his team wins the Super Bowl how much more money does John Smith make than a team that goes 8-8? Assuming that Bills fans continue to sell out games for the 8-8 teams.

I think every year there is a renewed sense of hope & excitement when it comes to every NFL team no matter how bad the year before was. That being said after a while fans & people in general get sick of rooting for a team that doesn't seem to take some chances to make a difference.

If Buddy can do a couple of things to prove to the fans that he wants to win like get a QB worth his metal to start in this offense that can show he is worth the fans accolades then they will continue to come, but if they start slow & then continue like they have this year attendance will rightfully suffer !! As it should ...

Maybe that is what the FO needs to get them a kick in the shorts !!!

great point

yes i think ticket sales will suffer early in this lease deal. if you were around years ago when the bills sucked for long periods there were lots of empty stadiums. the threat of losing the team has definitely kept tickets flowing in recent years despite a craptastic product. of course theres still a loyal following that will come regardless, but without that imminent threat im sure there will be those that feel they dont have to buy a crappy product anymore

hopefully the bills make that a moot point by getting a franchise qb in place and starting to win next season. hey it could happen

I really doubt fans say "Think I will drop a couple hundred this weekend to give to Ralph so the Bills stay". Seriously???

This is the only reason I support the team. The OP is dead on here. Now that the stadium will be made nicer and they are promised to stay, I think ill stay away until year 6 when they will need my meager salary to keep the team here.

As soon as I heard the news about the new lease, I thought about all the posters here who say that they won't give Ralph another dime until he upgrades the team. I figured now those people can really stay home and listen to blacked out games on the radio until the team starts to win. It does put pressure on the team to upgrade, at least in the short term, until "year 7" draws closer. If I still lived in town, I would go to the games regardless of their talent or record, but I see the other side of the coin (no pun intended).

Edited by snafu

This fact, more than anything scares me. Even if we get a new owner all that owner has to do is field a team and fans buy tickets. They will make a lot of money even if the team isn't successful.

I don't know the answer to the following question but I worry about it: If the Buffalo Bills owner is John Smith and his team wins the Super Bowl how much more money does John Smith make than a team that goes 8-8? Assuming that Bills fans continue to sell out games for the 8-8 teams.

...because, you know - if a new owner comes in and that alone excites Bills fans enough to buy more tickets and more merchandise what's the financial incentive for the new owner to put together a championship team. See: the Cleveland Browns history.

First of all, it's great news that something has been done and we will have, at the very minimum, 7 more years (though I don't think they're ever going to really leave).

But thinking about the current mental state of bills fans, could this hurt attendance? We have filled the stadium consistently over the past 13 years, relentlessly supporting a poor product. Aside from the fun of going to a game and the eternal hope we have that this year will be better than the last, I think another reason people have continued to fill the stadium is because we fear what an empty stadium would do to the chances of the team staying in town. I know I personally have attended meaningless, playoff-implicationless games late in December just out of pure support and to do my part to alleviate the chance they could use low attendance as an excuse for leaving.

So next year, when its December and the bills are out of the hunt, will more people choose to stay home because they know the team isn't going anywhere for the next decade? I wonder.

Maybe if less "inventory" is sold maybe they will get better people in here to turn this club around.

Although I haven't checked how the most recent CBA may have changed this, I found this article interesting. If it didn't have direct quotes from NFL GMs, I would not have believed it:

http://voices.yahoo.com/do-nfl-teams-profit-playoffs-2709.html

The one and only thing that will affect attendance is the Bills themselves. All of their alleged financial goals are achievable if the Bills become a playoff team again. If not then they get what they deserve. If I am going to give away money to charity, I am sure I will find a cause far more worthy than the Bills.

I thought it was the love they have for Hammer.

The only love I get is from the ladies when I refill the restrooms with toilet paper! I have found out that women really do not care about jewelry, clothes,candy etc...From the comments and the look on their faces when I refill the dispensers I have found out, the way to a women 's heart is thru showing you care about their T.P. needs.. So if you need a holiday gift idea I would suggest giving that special little lady in your life some T.P... It does not have to be 4 or 5 ply (unless your in the dog house). any T.P. will do As she opens your gift, the look on her face will be priceless as she realize that you really do care about her.

Happy Holidays

Edited by Hammered a Lot