Is This Rock Bottom?

JPS

84 and 85 were bad, but their memories have faded and we knew that Jim Kelly was our QB if and when the USFL folded. I can't remember a time when I was so discouraged from top to bottom. GM, Coach, QB, "star" players. This just seems as dysfunctional as this team has ever been. Am I an outlier?

Edited by JPS

84 and 85 were bad, but their memories have faded and we knew that Jim Kelly was our QB if and when the USFL folded. I can't remember a time when I was so discouraged from top to bottom. GM, Coach, QB, "star" players. This just seems as dysfunctional as this team has ever been. Am I an outlier?

It's bad and getting worse...

Rock bottom would be:

• Fitz coming out of the tunnel as the starter of the 2013 Bills
  • HC Chan roaming the sideline and deciding on plays to call on opening day of the 2013 season
  • Wanny up in the booth dialing up failure after failure defensive schemes
  • Ralph still involved with any decision making whatsoever

And

• Our 2013 First round pick playing corner opposite Gilmore.

I've been a fan, well, since the beginning and I think this is the worst. I think there were worse teams but the length of this suck fest is epic. The hopelessness of the situation is the most difficult, because nothing will change until there is a new owner.

At least in 85 the Bills had the top pick and Ralph wasn't as old as Methusaleh. Even better, the Bills, after the season, hired a young guy from within.

Today, they won't have the top pick, RW is a nonagenarian, and the GM will only know discuss the QB position when it's far too late.

I'm not sure what the bottom is. We suck, but there is potential and given the present administration, the likelihood that we will be considerably worse next year. Those who are free agents and can go almost certainly will. Even if we fire Chan and Buddy today, we are still pretty much at square one.

In today's NFL, 12 13 years without playoffs is a really hard thing to accomplish. Maybe someone could compare it to the Cubs streak was in baseball in terms of how hard it is to do; maybe not that hard but it's difficult to exhibit that level of prolonged rot. The NFL today is set up to churn the standings year to year. Yeah, a few teams are always there, but the league works to make it possible for teams to get close or reach the playoffs. The draft order, supplementary picks, the salary cap, and the way non-division teams are matched up by the previous season's record all make it easier for a team to pick itself off the bottom and climb the rungs to respectability.

But not the Bills. We really got something going on here. My point is that between blind-squirrel luck and the league's pursuit of parity, we should have been able to have some success, at some point. So yeah, it is rock bottom for me.

kj