Jim Kelly for GM

Donald Duck

Not saying I support this idea, but to say Kelly showed no accumen on the field is silly. He called the plays for on of the most prolific offenses ever. I know he had weapons, but he made it hum.

Elway went to Stanford, Kelly went to the U...thats probably all you need to know.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He absolutely could do worse.

If some miracle happens and whoever buys the Bills decides to keep them in this area, they should hire #12 as a PR front man to get the fans fired up and and buy tickets etc. Nothing more than that.

But you don't have any evidence he can't do the job, just as those that think he can don't. I just wouldn't underestimate someone's ability when it's something they're passionate about. Clearly Jim loves the city and the team. Jim clearly has a decent sense of business. He's a very respected man in and around the NFL. I think it's possible he could do a good job as has been shown in many different sports i.e. Lemieux, Nolan Ryan, Elway.

I can promise you one thing, he's much more than some dingy jock that we should use to wave at the crowd.

Exactly, let's stop reaching in the past to resolve current problems. No Jim Kelly, No Bill Polian. Let's get some young talent or maybe give Doug Whaley a try at GM.

I think we should go after the guy in your avatar. Who wouldn't want the most interesting man in the world as the GM? I mean Cuba even imports cigars from this dude. Just think of the players we could lure in. And I'm sure we would have the best looking cheerleaders in the league as well.

I can't believe I'm reading this thread. (As though the thread from the other day, suggesting Jim Kelly for head coach, wasn't enough.)

There's a normal career track in the NFL. If you want to be a head coach, you start off as a quality control guy. Then, if you do well, you become a position coach. Then an offensive or defensive coordinator. Finally a head coach. By the time you've been given the head coach mantle, you've proven your passion for coaching, via your countless number of long workweeks. You've (presumably) proven yourself a good teacher as a position coach. You've hopefully proven yourself a master of X's and O's as a coordinator.

The same is true for a front office career track. As a scout, you'll have evaluated large numbers of players over the years. In order to receive promotions, your evaluations will (presumably) need to have been more accurate than the norm for scouts, over a long period of time.

The above-described screening system doesn't always work. But it exists for a reason. While it may not filter out all of the unsuitable people who pass through it, it filters out a great many. The idea that Jim Kelly should be exempted from this filtering process, and should be sent straight to the top--either as a head coach or a GM--is hard to fathom. There are plenty of young, hungry people willing to work for a top position like that. Who are willing to subject themselves to that filtering process. Let the position go to one of them. Let it go to whichever of them is the hungriest, the most competent, and has shown the greatest edge in the specific field in question. Meaning, if you want a good coach, look for a guy who's providing good coaching already. If you want a good general manager, look for a guy who at very least is doing an excellent job as a talent scout. Give me a guy who thinks outside the box; and who uses said outside-the-box thinking to produce consistently better results than his peers. Bill Belichick is like that with respect to X's and O's; regardless of whether you like or hate him as a coach or as a human being.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Remember, they don't give IQ tests when registering for this site.

I can't believe I'm reading this thread. (As though the thread from the other day, suggesting Jim Kelly for head coach, wasn't enough.)

There's a normal career track in the NFL. If you want to be a head coach, you start off as a quality control guy. Then, if you do well, you become a position coach. Then an offensive or defensive coordinator. Finally a head coach. By the time you've been given the head coach mantle, you've proven your passion for coaching, via your countless number of long workweeks. You've (presumably) proven yourself a good teacher as a position coach. You've hopefully proven yourself a master of X's and O's as a coordinator.

The same is true for a front office career track. As a scout, you'll have evaluated large numbers of players over the years. In order to receive promotions, your evaluations will (presumably) need to have been more accurate than the norm for scouts, over a long period of time.

The above-described screening system doesn't always work. But it exists for a reason. While it may not filter out all of the unsuitable people who pass through it, it filters out a great many. The idea that Jim Kelly should be exempted from this filtering process, and should be sent straight to the top--either as a head coach or a GM--is hard to fathom. There are plenty of young, hungry people willing to work for a top position like that. Who are willing to subject themselves to that filtering process. Let the position go to one of them. Let it go to whichever of them is the hungriest, the most competent, and has shown the greatest edge in the specific field in question. Meaning, if you want a good coach, look for a guy who's providing good coaching already. If you want a good general manager, look for a guy who at very least is doing an excellent job as a talent scout. Give me a guy who thinks outside the box; and who uses said outside-the-box thinking to produce consistently better results than his peers. Bill Belichick is like that with respect to X's and O's; regardless of whether you like or hate him as a coach or as a human being.

Thank you. Kelly for HC sounds a lot like Levy for GM. Not how it's done, if you want to do it right.

JIM KELLY FOR GM, FOR OWNER, FOR HEAD COACH, FOR OC, AND FOR STARTING QB SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!!!!!! good GOD ALMIGHTY WILL PEOPLE PLEASE STOP POSTING ABOUT FORMER PLAYERS BEING OWNERS COACHES AND FRONT OFFICE EXECS.. IN ONE WEEK WE HAD THURMAN AS OC, KELLY AS COACH AND AS GM, AND POLIAN AS GM

LOOK TO THE FUTURE, LOOK FOR A HARBAUGH TYPE. DON'T LOOK TO THE PAST

Jim Kelly is a hero of mine and my thread probably shows just how desperate this one particular Bills fan is to change the face of the franchise.

Call me crazy, but I know Jim Kelly can build a good football team...

Okay. You're crazy.

Jim Kelly is a hero of mine and my thread probably shows just how desperate this one particular Bills fan is to change the face of the franchise.

Call me crazy, but I know Jim Kelly can build a good football team...

What makes you think that Kelly, whose experience with general managers of an NFL franchise to my knowledge begins and ends with signing a contract with one that his agent negotiated for him, would have even the slightest idea of how to do the job. Plus he is passionate about the Bills, but he does not seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

You may not be crazy, but your self proclaimed hero worship has gotten the better of you.