Prediction - Kirk Cousins lights it up today

ACor58

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cousins looked good in the preseason and I thought we already looked stupid especially since he could have been taken in the third. TJ might have been available in the 4th and we could have packaged all our picks up to get him if we wanted Tj that badly considering most of our late round picks were cut anyway.

I don't think Cousins has to light it up today to make Buddy look foolish.....

Anyway, I would rather have had Cousins on the bench this season as a backup. I think his potential is far more than Graham's. The best way to judge the picks is to balance the upside vs the bust factor. If Cousins turns out to be a solid starter at QB, it was a bargain. If he busts, so what? Graham at best would be a guy somewhere down the roster at WR and his impact will never be that of a number 1 receiver. Dime a dozen. He could go the way of Roscoe or Hardy and no one would notice.

Anyway, I would rather have had Cousins on the bench this season as a backup. I think his potential is far more than Graham's. The best way to judge the picks is to balance the upside vs the bust factor. If Cousins turns out to be a solid starter at QB, it was a bargain. If he busts, so what? Graham at best would be a guy somewhere down the roster at WR and his impact will never be that of a number 1 receiver. Dime a dozen. He could go the way of Roscoe or Hardy and no one would notice.

What if he goes mike Wallace (undersized and speedy, pick #84) or Antonio brown (pick 195). Generally I agree with the qb value sentiment at the top of the draft but mid round qbs are such a ridiculously low batting average, where receivers can be impactful.... It changes somewhere in there for me. We will see on these qbs. Either this will be the most unique group in the history of the nfl or more likely a few of these "poised young starters with upside" will regress to Trent Edwards, kolb, etc.... Last year Flynn was cant miss and now he's sitting.... Even Derek Anderson played a pretty good season before imploding.... It'll be interesting to see these guys over the next year or two.

Could be the greatest qb class ever, or maybe luck is good but doesn't get a ring, rg3 struggles with injuries, tannehill never catches on and wheeden disappears fast. Maybe foles is the Trent Edwards to Vicks being losman, and cousins is always overhyped and gets a huge bounty in a trade and sign and never outright wins the job. Wilson looks like he could be a schuab style starter though.

If Cousins looks good today then count me on board with the Bills giving away their 2013 first round pick for him. Yeah I said it.

For the "Two words - Rob Johnson" crowd, I don't care. The Bills should have giving away what they needed to, to get RGIII last year. They didn't even try, they were too afraid to do so. So giving away ONE first round (#10 overall probably) pick on a solid rookie QB who has an outside shot at being a franchise guy is nothing to me. If Cousins turns out horrible it was worth the shot because this year's QB crop sucks really bad and I would rather the Bills use it on Cousins than one of the jokers in this year's draft.

What if he goes mike Wallace (undersized and speedy, pick #84) or Antonio brown (pick 195). Generally I agree with the qb value sentiment at the top of the draft but mid round qbs are such a ridiculously low batting average, where receivers can be impactful.... It changes somewhere in there for me. We will see on these qbs. Either this will be the most unique group in the history of the nfl or more likely a few of these "poised young starters with upside" will regress to Trent Edwards, kolb, etc.... Last year Flynn was cant miss and now he's sitting.... Even Derek Anderson played a pretty good season before imploding.... It'll be interesting to see these guys over the next year or two.

Could be the greatest qb class ever, or maybe luck is good but doesn't get a ring, rg3 struggles with injuries, tannehill never catches on and wheeden disappears fast. Maybe foles is the Trent Edwards to Vicks being losman, and cousins is always overhyped and gets a huge bounty in a trade and sign and never outright wins the job. Wilson looks like he could be a schuab style starter though.

Good post. Let's judge these guys after a few years in the league. It's great that they show promise early but that's all it is, showing promise. The problem is fickle fans who overreact with every single PLAY, good or bad, and pronounce judgement.

This QB class will be hard pressed to reach 1983 QB class levels. That bar is set pretty high with 3 HOFers enshrined in Canton. As good as these kids look right now, the odds are most will regress rather than go on to those types of careers. If for no other reason than so much of their success is out of their hands. Front office, teammates, health, etc etc all play huge roles. Let's just wait and see.

GO BILLS!!!

This is rediculous. Every QB that has ever done anything for another team is an obvious blunder by the bills front office. And every single rookie QB in this years draft is better than Fitz.... Sheesh. Aren't you paying attention?

I mean cousins made a two point conversion last week. He scored and 8 point touchdown. Has Fitz done that ONCE this year?

Sarcasm aside.... Great post. Your perspective meter apparently works.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Whether it was with Wilson or Cousins in the third round of last year's draft or two years ago in the second round in not taking Kaepernick or Dalton for a CB, Aaron Williams, Nix blithely let quality qb prospects pass by. Buddy/Nix made a calculation that Fitz was an adequate enough qb that would be satisfactory enough until he found his elite qb prospect. Something that was obvious to the casual football fan was not obvious to the football decision makers in this laggard organization: That is that Fitz was never good enough to be a starter, even a temporary starter. Sometimes tough decisions that don't work out are at least understandable. This doesn't fall into that tough decision category. It was simply a foolish decision that has sabotaged the team's ability to seriously compete.

Having a good qb is the most important determinant of success in the NFL. Nix's lackadaisical approach in finding a suitable starting qb borders on malfeasance. My intense criticism of him is not due his attempting to draft a qb who didn't work out; it is that in three years of drafts he didn't even bother to try, other than taking Levi Brown in the 6th or 7th round. It's beyond being simply stupid, its recklessly stupid.

Edited by JohnC

Actually, the best way to judge picks is to evaluate how they perform in the NFL.

The team clearly felt like Graham had more ability to play in the league than guys like Cousins and Wilson, so that's why they drafted him. It really is that simple, and I think that's the right approach (provided, of course, that the team's player evaluations are correct). It's silly to draft players because they'll provide more upside if they pan out without regard to how likely they are to pan out. Sure, positional value is a consideration, but I'd rather the team draft players based on ability.

Wait, you mean you can't judge 7 players' careers after 14 weeks? Hogwash!

If Cousins looks good today then count me on board with the Bills giving away their 2013 first round pick for him. Yeah I said it.

For the "Two words - Rob Johnson" crowd, I don't care. The Bills should have giving away what they needed to, to get RGIII last year. They didn't even try, they were too afraid to do so. So giving away ONE first round (#10 overall probably) pick on a solid rookie QB who has an outside shot at being a franchise guy is nothing to me. If Cousins turns out horrible it was worth the shot because this year's QB crop sucks really bad and I would rather the Bills use it on Cousins than one of the jokers in this year's draft.

Oh really? This year's QBs all "suck really bad"? Tell me why you think so, as it's been quite some time (since 2007 actually) since zero QBs from a draft turned out to be quality NFL starters...

Good post. Let's judge these guys after a few years in the league. It's great that they show promise early but that's all it is, showing promise. The problem is fickle fans who overreact with every single PLAY, good or bad, and pronounce judgement.

This QB class will be hard pressed to reach 1983 QB class levels. That bar is set pretty high with 3 HOFers enshrined in Canton. As good as these kids look right now, the odds are most will regress rather than go on to those types of careers. If for no other reason than so much of their success is out of their hands. Front office, teammates, health, etc etc all play huge roles. Let's just wait and see.

GO BILLS!!!

No, we cannot wait and see, we MUST prepare the bronze busts now! Don't you understand that Luck, Griffin, Wilson, and Cousins are all likely to win Superbowls this year?

Edited by thebandit27

Actually, the best way to judge picks is to evaluate how they perform in the NFL.

The team clearly felt like Graham had more ability to play in the league than guys like Cousins and Wilson, so that's why they drafted him. It really is that simple, and I think that's the right approach (provided, of course, that the team's player evaluations are correct). It's silly to draft players because they'll provide more upside if they pan out without regard to how likely they are to pan out. Sure, positional value is a consideration, but I'd rather the team draft players based on ability.

Wait, you mean you can't judge 7 players' careers after 14 weeks? Hogwash!

Oh really? This year's QBs all "suck really bad"? Tell me why you think so, as it's been quite some time (since 2007 actually) since zero QBs from a draft turned out to be quality NFL starters...

No, we cannot wait and see, we MUST prepare the bronze busts now! Don't you understand that Luck, Griffin, Wilson, and Cousins are all likely to win Superbowls this year?

What's amazing is how insistent some are that last years 8th best prospect is easily better than this years best (as were guys 1-7 of course).... Other than hearing a catchphrase from a draft magazine writer saying this is a weak class, I'm not sure how they explain that. Just statistically speaking it would be really weird that it was THAT lopsided without major events throwing it off.

Edited by NoSaint

This is rediculous. Every QB that has ever done anything for another team is an obvious blunder by the bills front office. And every single rookie QB in this years draft is better than Fitz.... Sheesh. Aren't you paying attention?

I mean cousins made a two point conversion last week. He scored and 8 point touchdown. Has Fitz done that ONCE this year?

Sarcasm aside.... Great post. Your perspective meter apparently works.

Fitz was never an adequate starting qb prospect. From the start he was an erratic passer with a weak arm. Those are flaws that usually can't be fixed. Expecting him to be better than a backup type qb was a gross miscalculation. Would Dalton or Kaepenick been reasonable draft options? In my view absolutely so. If Nix wanted to address other areas first then he should have at least found another pedestrian qb who had a better level of accuracy and arm strength to bide some time before he felt he was in better position to select a higher level prospect.

Finding an eltie qb is not easy. Few teams are fortunate enough to have that type of starting qb. But how about getting a qb that will at least give you a chance to compete? We don't have it now, and we haven't had that acceptable level of qb during the Nix tenure.

What's amazing is how insistent some are that last years 8th best prospect is easily better than this years best (as were guys 1-7 of course).... Other than hearing a catchphrase from a draft magazine writer saying this is a weak class, I'm not sure how they explain that. Just statistically speaking it would be really weird that it was THAT lopsided without major events throwing it off.

Indeed. I think a few posters forget that a guy like Matt Barkley would've been a first round pick over Wilson, Cousins, etc. last year if he came out.

Nobody knows right now, and we won't know for years.

And Buddy will look stupid for not taking Cousins, a guy they really liked, in the 3rd round and instead reached for Roscoe 2.0 - without the return ability.

Just for arguments sake, lets say Cousins does light it up. As others have pointed out, it will be just one game. Way too much has to happen before concluding that he was a gem from the lower rounds. Oh and note that the Redskins FO is in far greater danger of looking stupid (trading all those picks for RGIII) than Nix. All such speculation before Cousins has even started a game yet.