Is a new OC a possibility?

ProbablyWrong

I am pretty resigned to the fact that Nix and Chan will be back next year regardless of the fans' sentiments. The defense has look good enough in the 2nd half of the season that I don't mind Wanny getting another go at it.QB... We'll see.

What I don't hear any chatter about is the possibility of getting an OC to help gameplan/call plays. I'm sure Gailey wouldn't like it, but it could be all we need to get the offense on track. Hopefully Nix doesn't give Chan a choice in the matter and brings over a talented NFL assistant or college guy.

The defensive improvements have been offset by the offense's regressions. The Bills defense currently ranks 21st, and has the possibly of finishing the season in the top 20. Here's how many points the defense has given up recently: 15 (Rams), 18 (Jags), 13 (Colts, 7 points were from Special Teams), 14 Dolphins. When your defense holds your opponent to 20 points or under, that should be more than enough to get the win.

If the Bills D gets into the Top 20, then I feel Wannstedt should be kept, but on a short leash. I would rather see Gailey fired, because of his indecision's and game time management, but if Nix decided that Gailey should be removed from his offensive play calling duties, if they were to decide to bring in Norv Turner or someone that is a competent offensive coordinator, then I would be fine with that. I don't want to see the Pitbull come from the Eagles as our QB, but then again, I don't want to see Fitz back either.

The defensive improvements have been offset by the offense's regressions. The Bills defense currently ranks 21st, and has the possibly of finishing the season in the top 20. Here's how many points the defense has given up recently: 15 (Rams), 18 (Jags), 13 (Colts, 7 points were from Special Teams), 14 Dolphins. When your defense holds your opponent to 20 points or under, that should be more than enough to get the win.

If the Bills D gets into the Top 20, then I feel Wannstedt should be kept, but on a short leash. I would rather see Gailey fired, because of his indecision's and game time management, but if Nix decided that Gailey should be removed from his offensive play calling duties, if they were to decide to bring in Norv Turner or someone that is a competent offensive coordinator, then I would be fine with that. I don't want to see the Pitbull come from the Eagles as our QB, but then again, I don't want to see Fitz back either.

I don't know what a "short leash" is. If Wanny returns next year, he won't be fired in season. I will reserve judgement on the D. They came up small at the end of the Rams game (handed the win to them, actually). If they play poorly the last 3 games, why keep Wanny?

I don't know what a "short leash" is. If Wanny returns next year, he won't be fired in season. I will reserve judgement on the D. They came up small at the end of the Rams game (handed the win to them, actually). If they play poorly the last 3 games, why keep Wanny?

If the Defense doesn't continue to show improvement next season, then IMO Wanny should be fired at the end of next year.

A good fit for Vick I think would be Minn. They have one very good receiver, also have a great RB, seemed committed to running the ball so not asking the QB to win games. They play offensively like the Bill's should be playing. One top of that a pretty good defense. One are that's hurting them is QB, a little impprovment could make them a top team.

I don't want to see the Pitbull come from the Eagles as our QB, but then again, I don't want to see Fitz back either.

Only way a new OC comes in is if Chans gone. I could see him giving up the Head Coach title to become the full time OC more then him giving somone else control of the offence and staying on as the HC.

As for the situation with him and Haley in KC, that was haley who had the control issues and fired Chan because he wanted more control

A good fit for Vick I think would be Minn. They have one very good receiver, also have a great RB, seemed committed to running the ball so not asking the QB to win games. They play offensively like the Bill's should be playing. One top of that a pretty good defense. One are that's hurting them is QB, a little impprovment could make them a top team.

i think they may feel a little burned by the failed Favre experiment to go back to picking up a veteran on his way off his second team

Bills defense points/game: 27th in league. Most likely in part due to the poor quality of opponents last several weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&tabSeq=2&season=2012&role=OPP&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&qualified=false

I would love to see the fallout if Chan, Nix, et al. go to RW's house after the season and the owner tells Chan to have someone else call the plays. The offense has regressed and we've seen RW call for coordinator heads before.

After all, if your best assets, Spiller and Johnson, aren't being utilized so Chan get get his people on the field, it extends beyond play-calling. It's a waste of the owner's money.

I have issues with Gailey as both H.C. and O.C. - whether or not he could improve his H.C.'ing ability by relinquishing his O.C. duties is anyone's guess. I just think he is way too predictable. He sends that offense out onto the field running the exact offense that everyone knows he is going to run, and regardless of whether or not the offense is actually working, he is inflexable when it comes to changing it.

A H.C.'s first commitment should be to winning. Gailey has sacrificed every player on this team's season because he is too stubborn and ignorant to change. Everyone can see - fans, announcers, media - that Gailey is misusing this team. So, if such a thing is overlooked by Nix, and if nothing is done about it, then it merely reflects on the F.O.'s lack of commitment to winning, as well - or, it is just another example of ineptitude.

I don't now about everyone else - but I want to see a coach who can outsmart his opponents. Please!

From My pespective, Buddy says he's acquired talent through the draft and free agency over the past three offseasons. OK., when Buddy took over, he inherited a 6-10 team. In the first year of his rebuild, the team takes a backward step to 4-10, and 0 division wins. In year two of Buddy's makeover, Buddy goes 6-10, a step forward from the previous season, but right where the Bills were when he took over, and 1 division win. In the third year of Buddy's rebuild the team has only one win in the division and the best Buddy can hope to finish with is an 8-8 record. Let's spilit the difference and say the Bills end up with a 7-9 record. And, even if the Bills were to go 8-8, that is an average of 6 wiins per season with Buddy as GM and his rebuild.

Buddy constantly stands by Chan and publicly states he's not in favor of canning Chan. He also stands behind his QB, when we all know Fitz is barely adequate and doesn't have the arm or accuracy to throw the ball downfield.

So, something has got to give. Question to Buddy.... you've stated you've made significant progress in upgrading the talent of this team. So, why is this team's record, essentially, no better than when you took over. Either you made a huge gaffe in judging talent or thyou made a huge gaffe in bringing Chan home to Ralph to sign up as HC.... or, perhaps you made a huge gaffe in both talent and selection of a HC. Which is it?

Buddy's got a make a choice. Either he has to stand by his statement that he's got better talent, or he has to admit the coach is not a good fit. If he admits the latter, then he's got a find a new HC. And, we all know that the entire staff ain't gonna get canned. The most likely option is to promote Wanny... which would certainly ensure the Bills having the top pick in the 2014 draft, as well as a reduction in about 20,000 season tickets.

However, Buddy may have another option to weasel out of this situation.... he could convince/demand Chan to put 100% of his focus on HC and go with two new coordinators on offense & defense. Or, at the very least, OC.

Let's say Chan brings in a new OC (and Modkins is sacrificed). With Chan going into the last year of his contract, what OC (or DC) is going to sign on for one season of this Buffalo Bills train wreck of a team? Not very good ones, that's for sure. And, as far as FA, who would want to come to Buffalo. As far as the Bills own soon to be free agents, Byrd and Levitre, why would they want to be here? More money will be the primary motivator for them. I don't see how the Bills can keep both. One or the other has to go.

So, OC, DC, HC.... of those three options HC has to be the change.... and the new head coach can't be anyone on the staff.... He's going to have to be a guy that is experienced, that is aggressive, and wants his team playing ultra physical til the gun sounds. I just don't see a happy ending here... please... convince me, within the realm of "reality" that this team is going to win at least 10 games next year and be a huge factor in the division. Right now, I just don't see it.

From My pespective, Buddy says he's acquired talent through the draft and free agency over the past three offseasons. OK., when Buddy took over, he inherited a 6-10 team. In the first year of his rebuild, the team takes a backward step to 4-10, and 0 division wins. In year two of Buddy's makeover, Buddy goes 6-10, a step forward from the previous season, but right where the Bills were when he took over, and 1 division win. In the third year of Buddy's rebuild the team has only one win in the division and the best Buddy can hope to finish with is an 8-8 record. Let's spilit the difference and say the Bills end up with a 7-9 record. And, even if the Bills were to go 8-8, that is an average of 6 wiins per season with Buddy as GM and his rebuild.

Buddy constantly stands by Chan and publicly states he's not in favor of canning Chan. He also stands behind his QB, when we all know Fitz is barely adequate and doesn't have the arm or accuracy to throw the ball downfield.

So, something has got to give. Question to Buddy.... you've stated you've made significant progress in upgrading the talent of this team. So, why is this team's record, essentially, no better than when you took over. Either you made a huge gaffe in judging talent or thyou made a huge gaffe in bringing Chan home to Ralph to sign up as HC.... or, perhaps you made a huge gaffe in both talent and selection of a HC. Which is it?

Buddy's got a make a choice. Either he has to stand by his statement that he's got better talent, or he has to admit the coach is not a good fit. If he admits the latter, then he's got a find a new HC. And, we all know that the entire staff ain't gonna get canned. The most likely option is to promote Wanny... which would certainly ensure the Bills having the top pick in the 2014 draft, as well as a reduction in about 20,000 season tickets.

However, Buddy may have another option to weasel out of this situation.... he could convince/demand Chan to put 100% of his focus on HC and go with two new coordinators on offense & defense. Or, at the very least, OC.

Let's say Chan brings in a new OC (and Modkins is sacrificed). With Chan going into the last year of his contract, what OC (or DC) is going to sign on for one season of this Buffalo Bills train wreck of a team? Not very good ones, that's for sure. And, as far as FA, who would want to come to Buffalo. As far as the Bills own soon to be free agents, Byrd and Levitre, why would they want to be here? More money will be the primary motivator for them. I don't see how the Bills can keep both. One or the other has to go.

So, OC, DC, HC.... of those three options HC has to be the change.... and the new head coach can't be anyone on the staff.... He's going to have to be a guy that is experienced, that is aggressive, and wants his team playing ultra physical til the gun sounds. I just don't see a happy ending here... please... convince me, within the realm of "reality" that this team is going to win at least 10 games next year and be a huge factor in the division. Right now, I just don't see it.

I love your post Dr Tooth. I agree with everything you said, except that we are not finishing the year 7-9. This team is beaten, and will do very well to win one of its last three games. All three teams we play, will shut down our offense because we can NOT pass down the field. Whether we win anymore games depends on if our D can step up and get some crucial turnovers. As for next season, there is some talent on this team. However, there is absolutely no leadership coming from the coaching staff. I like what you want in our next head coach. This would be a complete turnaround from what Gailey is bringing to the team. I think with any new head coach, we will have to bring in a new starting QB. But I honestly think that the Bills blew it by not giving T Jack an opportunity to play. The guy does NOT suck. He can actually make plays. And in an offense similar to what the Redskins are doing with RG111, could be pretty effective. The fact that Fitzie is still starting having gone 6-16 in his past 22 starts with a solid run game and O line, while showing nothing that would lead anyone to believe he is on the cusp of greatness or even very goodness should be enuf reason to fire Gailey and Nix. So yes with an injection of toughness and smart game management from a new head coach combined with a QB competition between a young stud and T Jack, we could actually become a real NFL team quite quickly. (And with the right coach, Byrd and Levitre will most definitely want to come back)

I am pretty resigned to the fact that Nix and Chan will be back next year regardless of the fans' sentiments. The defense has look good enough in the 2nd half of the season that I don't mind Wanny getting another go at it.QB... We'll see.

What I don't hear any chatter about is the possibility of getting an OC to help gameplan/call plays. I'm sure Gailey wouldn't like it, but it could be all we need to get the offense on track. Hopefully Nix doesn't give Chan a choice in the matter and brings over a talented NFL assistant or college guy.

Chan wont go for it, we already have a "OC" and Nix believes in what ever Chan wants to do.

Reading between the lines, if Buddy really believes that the roster is much improved and has more talent than when he took over, then the Bills poor record should indicate that Gailey is underperforming as the HC. You can't improve the roster and have better coaching and regress in record. Something doesn't add up. Either the coaching is poor or the roster is not as talented as you think. Nix has consistently said that he believes they are a better team than their record and that they have done a good job of adding talent. I think this is a subtle jab that he is NOT happy with Gailey's job performance.

If you really look there is evidence that they are not seeing eye to eye on some things. I don't think Nix drafted Spiller at 9 overall with his first pick as GM to see him underutilized in 3rd season. I don't think he traded for Tavaris Jackson to see him inactive all season, even if it was injury insurance for Fitz. If Fitz went down, why would Jackson be any more or less ready to play than where he is now. I don't think Nix re-signed Rian Lindell to new contract less than a year ago (which pays the 8th highest average salary among kickers) to see him attempt 1 FG over 50 yards and only 5 over 40 yards (of which he has made all of BTW) and only 20 FGs all year.