NFL Playoff expansion????

KellyToTasker

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 or 16 teams? You'd be getting 8-8 teams.

No thanks, the playoffs are fine the way they are.

Mark you do realize the Pats dish off 6 losses to the rest of the division almost every season right?

Giants were 7-7 last season and won the Superbowl.

This notion an 8-8 team waters down the playoffs is ludicrous, some teams go on a tear the 2nd half of the season.

eighteen games and sixteen playoff teams would be awesome

I'm totally against an 18 game regular season, we could be watching a 15-2 team playing a 2-15 team which doesn't make any sense.

Expand the playoffs by a weekend with more teams. :thumbsup:

8-8 teams fighting it out to advance would help the leagues smaller markets.

Its a win, win situation...

8-8 teams fighting it out to advance would help the leagues smaller markets.

Its a win, win situation...

Not to me. The concept of a .500 team advancing to the post season to me just cheapens the meaning of a post season.

The only "win" I see is that the NFL would get to put more ****ty games on TV (more $$$).

Edited by CodeMonkey

PTR a 3rd wild card game? Or 7th seed to play #2 seed?

There would be 3 wild card games: #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, and #4 vs #5. #1 would get a bye. I also proposed adding a 2nd bye week BUT having teams coming out of a bye play a Tue or Wed Night game, adding yet another national TV game while also adding an 18th week to the NFL season, but still playing only 16 games. This is better than adding two regular season games. I'd also favor reducing the pre-season to just two games.

PTR

Not to me. The concept of a .500 team advancing to the post season to me just cheapens the meaning of a post season.

The only "win" I see is that the NFL would get to put more ****ty games on TV (more $$$).

Then you must love college bowl games.

PTR

I like it. It should drive up fan interest and ticket sales for the late season games. We'd have a ton more "meaningful" games during that last 2-3 weeks than we currently have.

The problem with hockey and basketball (and baseball) is that their seasons' are way too long to begin with, then they tag on the added annoyance of best of 7 (or 5) series and it becomes one long slog.

Lets allow 30 teams in the playoffs, and everyone gets a trophy!

This is just stupid. You'd still have to be in the top half of the league to get in. And as Bills fans, we know that isn't all that easy.

There would be 3 wild card games: #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, and #4 vs #5. #1 would get a bye. I also proposed adding a 2nd bye week BUT having teams coming out of a bye play a Tue or Wed Night game, adding yet another national TV game while also adding an 18th week to the NFL season, but still playing only 16 games. This is better than adding two regular season games. I'd also favor reducing the pre-season to just two games.

PTR

This +1. I like your way of thinking. Maximize the value of all 32 teams without adding additional teams and lowering the value of talent across the league (the ownership will be happy = more $, the fans will be happy = more/longer interest). Seriously, who doesn't love watching the underdogs in the NCAA basketball tournament knock off a power??????

Edited by KellyToTasker

14 or 16 teams? You'd be getting 8-8 teams.

No thanks, the playoffs are fine the way they are.

your hard pressed to find 6 good teams in each conference, they are letting lousy teams in now...some even with a descent records (atlanta, texans) who we all know arent going anywhere

Edited by CardinalScotts

PTR

I agree on this playoff expansion, Allowing 7 of 16 teams in from the conference would ensure a less watered-down product.

IMO, the NFL season should start the final Sunday of August/first of September with the goal of getting the playoffs underway right after Xmas & New Year.

To accomplish this you don't need 4 preseason games, lowering the preseason to 3 games would allow the earlier start & allow for a second bye week. There would essentially be 3 bye weeks including the preseason. The week before the regular season begins & 2 bye weeks during the regular season.

With so many blackout games across the NFL eliminating a preseason game allows for teams to charge more during the regular season & the earlier ensures another early game with high attendance.

You are right the current format never lets average teams in. It would never say let a 7-9 Seattle team have a home playoff game against the Saints (11-5), while the 10-6 Giants and the 10-6 Bucs dont make it...

Edited by CountDorkula

In 1990, when the NFL went to a 12 team playoff format, there were a total of 28 teams in the league. Slightly less than 43% of teams in the league made the playoffs. The playoffs were fine, then. With the league's expansion to 32 teams, there hasn't been an adjustment to the playoff system.

If one more wild card were added, then 14 out of 32 teams would be in. Which is 43.75% of the league.

I'd be behind that move. Anything beyond that seems dumb.

In 1990, when the NFL went to a 12 team playoff format, there were a total of 28 teams in the league. Slightly less than 43% of teams in the league made the playoffs. The playoffs were fine, then. With the league's expansion to 32 teams, there hasn't been an adjustment to the playoff system.

If one more wild card were added, then 14 out of 32 teams would be in. Which is 43.75% of the league.

I'd be behind that move. Anything beyond that seems dumb.

Wouldn't that make an odd number of 5 teams facnig each other int he first round? Due to 2 teams having first round byes? How exactly would they change that scenario?

I love this idea, they should follow the NBA and NHL playoffs in which more teams make it. More meaningful games later in the season!

You are right the current format never lets average teams in. It would never say let a 7-9 Seattle team have a home playoff game against the Saints (11-5), while the 10-6 Giants and the 10-6 Bucs dont make it...

Some average and even below avarage teams do get in now. Expanding it to allow more teams makes that situation even worse.

Regarding 7-9 teams getting in and 10-6 teams not, that is a completely different situation that I agree should be addressed. But the answer to that is definitely not lowering the bar even lower than it already is to get into the playoffs.

First of all the NFC West was awful that year, and Seattle won the division. I believe if you win your division you should go to the playoffs.

I wouldn't punish a team because the entire division sucks. Besides, what the Seahawks did has never happened before, so I see that as an anomaly.

Edited by Mark Vader

Some average and even below avarage teams do get in now. Expanding it to allow more teams makes that situation even worse.

Regarding 7-9 teams getting in and 10-6 teams not, that is a completely different situation that I agree should be addressed. But the answer to that is definitely not lowering the bar even lower than it already is to get into the playoffs.

You can let all division winners make the playoffs but don't give teams with a worse record a home playoff game. e.g. Denver over Pittsburgh last year.

First of all the NFC West was awful that year, and Seattle won the division. I believe if you win your division you should go to the playoffs.

I wouldn't punish a team because the entire division sucks. Besides, what the Seahawks did has never happened before, so I see that as an anomaly.

But don't give 'em a home playoff game.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot