Annual "Whine About Toronto Games" Thread

miserable_fan

We all know that this time of year breeds resentment towards the fact that the Bills have to play a "home game" in Toronto. Rather than complaining in every thread, vent your frustration here!

I'm willing to bet there will be more Brady jerseys than Bills jerseys. I'm from Toronto. Buffalo is certainly not the most common team to cheer for amongst the population. Pats, Steelers, Packers are all very popular teams here. Do NOT be pissed off when there is no atmosphere on Sunday, because I am giving you a fair warning in advance. Mainly corporates and people who get free tickets go to this game.

At least we're out of the playoff race. So who gives a s*** right?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting if Rogers renews the series, they took an absolute bath on it. Theyre probably proposing an incredible drop in the price they pay, something like going from $10 Mm to 4 MM per game, at what point do the Bills say it's not worth it.

The windfall all went into Wilson's pocket.

with Toronto we are the 4th largest market in the NFL....

without Toronto, we will be the 2nd largest market in Los Angeles......

While I respect the importance of Canadian ticket buyers/fans to the Bills, and also their importance to WNY as a whole.... I havent seen any evidence that this "series" has created any Bills fans from Toronto. There are plenty of other ways to market to Southern Ontario that would yield the same results.

Canadian fans prefer to go to games in Orchard Park, and the Canadian draw is fine without this series. In fact, it is a horrific representation of NFL Football and the Buffalo Bills

I also believe that if/when there is a new local owner, this series will not be continued.

It'll be interesting if Rogers renews the series, they took an absolute bath on it. Theyre probably proposing an incredible drop in the price they pay, something like going from $10 Mm to 4 MM per game, at what point do the Bills say it's not worth it.

The windfall all went into Wilson's pocket.

It has happened already....

Edited by djp14150

While I respect the importance of Canadian ticket buyers/fans to the Bills, and also their importance to WNY as a whole.... I havent seen any evidence that this "series" has created any Bills fans from Toronto. There are plenty of other ways to market to Southern Ontario that would yield the same results.

Canadian fans prefer to go to games in Orchard Park, and the Canadian draw is fine without this series. In fact, it is a horrific representation of NFL Football and the Buffalo Bills

I also believe that if/when there is a new local owner, this series will not be continued.

Canadians apparently make up about 20% of Bills season ticket holders (most from the St. Catherines, Hamilton region). They want NOTHING to do with the Bills in Toronto series.

Reason #1 - Tickets are overpriced.

Reason #2 - No tailgating due to Canada's archaic laws on public drinking (which apparently is being pushed to change but too little to late).

Why would any Canadian Bills fan pay more to have less of an experience when the real game day experience is 1 to 1.5 hours away?!?

This peeves me off because it reflects poorly on us Canadian Bills fans, who suffer as much in watching this crappy team week-after-week as our American brethren but then have to hear about what lousy fans we are because we don't overpay to watch a game in a crappy dome.

not only will the series continue.....once the NFL goes to an 18 game regular season....there will be 2 regular season games in T.O.

Canadians apparently make up about 20% of Bills season ticket holders (most from the St. Catherines, Hamilton region). They want NOTHING to do with the Bills in Toronto series.

Reason #1 - Tickets are overpriced.

Reason #2 - No tailgating due to Canada's archaic laws on public drinking (which apparently is being pushed to change but too little to late).

Why would any Canadian Bills fan pay more to have less of an experience when the real game day experience is 1 to 1.5 hours away?!?

This peeves me off because it reflects poorly on us Canadian Bills fans, who suffer as much in watching this crappy team week-after-week as our American brethren but then have to hear about what lousy fans we are because we don't overpay to watch a game in a crappy dome.

Bingo

The Packers would never play games in Milwalkee

What might you say about this:

... the typical NFL city has a population in the millions or higher hundred-thousands. The Packers, however, have long had a large following throughout Wisconsin and parts of the Midwest; in fact, for decades, the Packers played four (one pre-season, three regular-season) home games each year in Milwaukee, first at the State Fair Park fairgrounds, then at Milwaukee County Stadium. The Packers did not move their entire home schedule to Green Bay until 1995. County Stadium's replacement, Miller Park, then being planned, was always intended to be a baseball-only stadium instead of a multipurpose stadium.

Buffalo ties tighter bond with Toronto interests..

The Southern Ontario marketplace has more than 9 million residents, compared to slightly less than 1 million in Erie and Niagara counties

“We have this tendency to underestimate ourselves,” Brian Higgins said. “Canadians look at Buffalo and see nothing but value and opportunities.”

The ties that bind Buffalo and Toronto go well beyond sports. At the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, nearly 40 percent of the annual 5.3 million outbound passengers hail from Southern Ontario. At the Niagara Falls International Airport, the number of Canadians flying out is close to 80 percent.

Major shopping centers such as Walden Galleria rely on Canadian shoppers who account for more than 60 percent of mall sales on the weekends.

The Fashion Outlets of Niagara Falls USA estimates Canadians make up as much as 70 percent of its weekend customer base.

Several Canadian firms have chosen Buffalo for their U.S. base of operations.

The Buffalo Sabres attribute as much as 20 percent of season-ticket holders to Southern Ontario, mostly from St. Catharines to Niagara Falls.

the Toronto Blue Jays signed a player development pact with the Buffalo Bisons.

Bills CEO Russ Brandon said the team derives as much as 18 percent of the season ticket base from Southern Ontario.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/print-edition/2012/09/28/buffalo-ties-tighter-bond-with-toronto.html