Trade for Phillip Rivers?

Trade for Rivers?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to trade for Phillip Rivers?

There was talk on NFL network that Rivers could be traded this offseason. Casserly said that with a good Oline and some weapons Rivers would be reborn. He went on to say that since Nix left San Diego they haven't drafted well, maybe it's time for a reunion and get Rivers over here. I think Chan would be able to use the deep ball more and would look a lot smarter with the calls he makes if Rivers is throwing the ball instead of Fitz who simple does not have the physical talent to be a starter in the NFL.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more re-tread please.

Draft a good prospect and keep fingers crossed.

With Rivers' age, if they traded for him, they would most likely buy 1-2 more offseasons, but they would probably draft the future soon. Edited by mrags

With Rivers' age, if they traded for him, they would most likely buy 1-2 more offseasons, but they would probably draft the future soon.

I agree with this post. Rivers is 31 and from what I can find has 3 years left on the extension he signed in 2009. That takes the pressure off drafting a QB this year, and instead lets them focus on filling the more pressing holes at LB (Barnett is 32), CB2, possibly WR2 and possibly SS unless Searcy pans out.

Then, ideally in the 2014 draft, you get your QB of the future and let him sit, study and develop for a year or two (a la Rodgers and Rivers himself).

I agree with this post. Rivers is 31 and from what I can find has 3 years left on the extension he signed in 2009. That takes the pressure off drafting a QB this year, and instead lets them focus on filling the more pressing holes at LB (Barnett is 32), CB2, possibly WR2 and possibly SS unless Searcy pans out.

Then, ideally in the 2014 draft, you get your QB of the future and let him sit, study and develop for a year or two (a la Rodgers and Rivers himself).

not to mention it would sell the (potential withering) fan base on another season. My guess is that Buddy was in on drafting Rivers and if he believes in him, he will be our next QB until Johnny Football or Kelly's kid comes out via draft. By then, we have all the right pieces in place for the long term and could either get Kelly without giving up the farm, or Johnny Football because we are set everywhere else and giving up 3 first round picks won't seem as bad.

Just my thoughts in all of this. Id probably be happy if this worked out. As if late, I'm not enamored with Rivers, but I'd still take him. And I'm not sure in college QBs but simply just making a point. Insert which ever QBs you want for the argument, it still could hold true.

Edited by mrags

I look at his years when they had a threat in the RB position and a good D - not that those were the sole reasons for it but his numbers were top tier. If the price is reasonable, this would be the best available veteran option for us to bridge the gap. I still think you take a dev QB in this draft.

With Rivers' age, if they traded for him, they would most likely buy 1-2 more offseasons, but they would probably draft the future soon.

Or if he can return to form, the team doesn't have to worry about a QB for 6-7 years.

:thumbsup:

:beer::thumbsup:

Most over-rated choker in the league.

No offense BB but Fitz played better this year, and that that's not saying much., Gailey couldn't fix him. HA, I doubt he picks up Gaileys offense.

Phillip Rivers needs a strong offensive minded HC / OC to sit the guy down and fix his issues. Jim Harbaugh would get it done.

What draft picks from the Bills would it take to bring in another broken QB?? The Bills still need a young QB to groom, LBers, WR's, desperately. not so desperate, RCB -OC- LOT-TE

This team still has enough holes that it doesn't need to waste draft picks on a player that wouldn't be a huge upgrade for the team. Joe Flacco, Matt Schaub and Matt Moore of the Dolphins are all UR FA's.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Rivers has just been so, so bad this year. It's painful to watch. He's clearly behind Fitz, and this ain't Fitz at the top of his game.

little to no run game because of the always injured Mathews, NO O line because of McNeill/Dielman injuries/retirements, no real weapons besides an aging Gates due to letting VJax and others walk and a series of poor drafts....that team is an absolute disaster. That's not on Rivers, its on the indescribably terrible job AJ Smith has done in the last 5 years or so.

How much is this like trading for Drew Bledsoe, Part Deux?

I'm more than ready to cut bait on Fitz. It doesn't seem like QB is SD's problem, so I'm a little dubious of this report.

But if Rivers would deliver 3 years of steady QB play to what I believe is a fairly well-built nucleus otherwise, with the addition of a true possession WR and/or a dual-threat TE. We simply need a QB who can physically throw the ball past 20 yards without straining every muscle in his being to do so. The NFL today has moved past dink-and-dunk. You can't get by with exclusively that anymore. It truly has become vertical passing and needing to hit big throws and being able to have defenses think you have the ability to hit deep so as to keep them honest. Fitz's BB gun arm just doesn't cut it and accuracy just isn't there. And it's a shame b/c other than that, he's got the makings for greatness WRT smarts, quickness, toughness, escapability/scrambling.... It's just that the Bills never get the COMPLETE package in any QB since Kelly --- there's always been a glaring deficiency. Collins had no pocket presence, AVP was good but physically limited, RJ couldn't stay healthy, Flutie was undersized but I'll be the first to admit he was a firecracker and it's too bad we got him when he was farting dust, and TPTB in Ralph's dottering mind unfortunately played the Trump card on Wade and sat Flutie for what I think was mostly marketing. Bledsoe... well, we all know what happened there. Losman could throw a beautiful long bomb to the absolute perfect spot, but couldn't hit a guy who was 5 yards away. Holcomb's arm was dead. Trent got gunshy after the concussion (then again, it was starting before that too) and the antithesis of Losman... even tho he physically could do it, his release/inability to read Ds meant he was playing Hot Potato out there and he refused to throw beyond 5 yards, even if it were 3rd & 25... he simply refused... he was getting that ball out of his hands, quick. I guess you're never going to get a perfect QB, but is it too much to ask for one without a GLARING deficiency?

Rivers forces things sometimes. I admire a gambler, don't get me wrong. In this league, you've gotta take chances. And I have to note that I'd rather have a ball intercepted that actually GOT TO/AROUND ITS TARGET, rather than the Fitz picks we've been seeing.

little to no run game because of the always injured Mathews, NO O line because of McNeill/Dielman injuries/retirements, no real weapons besides an aging Gates due to letting VJax and others walk and a series of poor drafts....that team is an absolute disaster. That's not on Rivers, its on the indescribably terrible job AJ Smith has done in the last 5 years or so.

How would you compare the Bills offense to the Chargers?

Receiver corps... Malcolm Floyd (22) is ranked better then SJ (30)

Tight End, Gates tied with Chandler @ (82)

O Line, Bills was better, not anymore with Wood & Hairston on IR

coaching, Chargers

I'd say the Chargers have been a better team the last 6 years, save this year at 4-8. They still have more talent in every area save RB. Its Phillip Rivers who has screwed the team this season 18TD / 15 INT and has been a turnover machine all year... 11 fumbles! Frankenrivers!

Phillip Rivers is an absolute stud.......we'd be lucky to get him.....

funny how really good QB's become bad when their Offensive Lines go from good to bad.....

San Diego is 28th in sacks allowed..

Agreed...what would the price be....Next years 1? This years 2nd or 3rd? Not sure how to value these things

Edited by filthymcnasty08