Don't Look Now, but Mario Williams 8th in NFL in sacks...

Big Turk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares, have his sacks made a difference? Has his presence on this defense really made it better? Are the Bills a better team because of this signing?

Sacks, its not about sacks, it's about winning!

Over the last 4 games, the Bills are the number one defense against the run, and in the top 5 defenses overall which just so happens to coincide with Mario's post surgery resurgence. So to answer your uninformed screed, yeah, he's made a difference, yeah, his presence has made the defense better.

Over the last 4 games, the Bills are the number one defense against the run, and in the top 5 defenses overall which just so happens to coincide with Mario's post surgery resurgence. So to answer your uninformed screed, yeah, he's made a difference, yeah, his presence has made the defense better.

Agreed...Some of the continued Mario hate around here is a joke...Do these people actually watch the freaking games?... B-)

The best part is that the D has gone from 30th to 29th.

For someone that posts as often as you, I hope you're kidding. Their defense has gone from 31st, where it was virtually all season, to 24th, which is pretty impressive considering they gave up over 1,200 yards in a two-game stretch. Their defense has been one of the best in football over the last month, which has coincided exactly with Mario's emergence.

Agreed...Some of the continued Mario hate around here is a joke...Do these people actually watch the freaking games?... B-)

My sentiments exactly.

Yes, Mario got off to a disappointing start, but I was never worried about his play. Our linebackers, is what I am more concerned with.

There are fans here that are ridiculous. I remember last year a lot of fans who were still saying that C.J. Spiller was a bust. You don't hear that kind of talk anymore, do you?

Edited by Mark Vader

So with all this talk about how good Mario is and how good the D has been over the past month, do they bring Wanny back?

Give Wanny two competent LB's, and is the D on to something?

Yes Mario has been a force since the bye. Sack stats are great but he has been in the backfield consistently. He has put pressure on the qb and changed plays many times.

This D is starting to look like what we thought we would watch from the start.

With all the poor play Mario Williams had before the bye, he has been a force since it...

Williams is tied for 8th in the NFL with 9.5 sacks, only a half sack away from being tied for 5th...

Seems the Williams haters wil have to go into hiding for a while...

He seems to do his best work in blowouts and meaningless games like last week. He is football's version of Arod. Where was he in the NE games when they needed a stop? Highest paid defense player in the game- and you are happy with what the Bills got back, a sorry defense?

So with all this talk about how good Mario is and how good the D has been over the past month, do they bring Wanny back?

Yes Mario has been a force since the bye. Sack stats are great but he has been in the backfield consistently. He has put pressure on the qb and changed plays many times.

He's (Wanny) earned the rest of the season......I'll be a major believer if we stuff Beast Mode for an entire game.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

When we signed him, I immediately thought of the Julius Peppers situation in Chicago back in 2010, a player hailed as a freak but someone that has definitely been accused of taking plays off. I have thought of that quite a few times during the season, but never got around to posting it. Take a look at Peppers' sack total for the first 9 games back in 2010:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3530/year/2010/julius-peppers

-Two sacks in his first nine games, including a six game drought between weeks five and nine.

-Then six sacks in four games with a three sack performance thrown in there (sound familiar yet?)

-Finished the season with no sacks in the last three games, and then two more goose eggs in the Bears two playoff games

-Total of eight on the season, with a six in that four game stretch

The funny thing is no one blamed Julius in Chicago or nationally - it works that way when when you actually, you know, win football games. They trotted out all the excuses - still good in run support, makes players better, etc. I tried finding one story on google about a columnist bashing this singing as a bust, bloated contract, but nothing. Most stories looked like this: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/19397/the-true-impact-of-julius-peppers

With the weird way football works, I almost expect Mario to disappear the rest of the season. I wonder though, if he does go dormant to end the season, will all the bashing continue this offseason, or has he done enough to win our support? Interesting to see how this one plays out.

Make that 3 quality LBs, one good SS, and one more decent CB and we have a deal.

Regardless, if the D continues its current trajectory, I believe Wanny will be back. As much as I've ragged on this defense this year and even though they will be in my doghouse for a while yet, the defense has played much more disciplined of late. Still not dominating and still too prone to the big play on third and long but they are making incremental progress.

GO BILLS!!!

For someone that posts as often as you, I hope you're kidding. Their defense has gone from 31st, where it was virtually all season, to 24th, which is pretty impressive considering they gave up over 1,200 yards in a two-game stretch. Their defense has been one of the best in football over the last month, which has coincided exactly with Mario's emergence.

My bad. They are 30th against the run right now. They have clamped down vs. Henne, Luck and Tannehill.

I don't mind being the "told you so" guy on this. The Mario bashing got pretty ridiculous. I'm glad to see him serving up heaping helpings of crow.

For someone that I find to be way out in "right" field politically, (get it, right field haha) I must admit you have very good football sense.

But I'm still pissed at you for ruining the love of one of my favorite bands!

With all the poor play Mario Williams had before the bye, he has been a force since it...

Williams is tied for 8th in the NFL with 9.5 sacks, only a half sack away from being tied for 5th...

Seems the Williams haters wil have to go into hiding for a while...

I have to eat some crow here. My take was that he was a better OL than a DE and was just using the wrist as an excuse for poor play. But it looks like the wrist may have been the issue. It seems like since he had it fixed he's been tearing it up pretty good. Only time will tell though if we got our money's worth on the deal.

Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe...

Chan has been playing the way he has in the first half of the season in order to turn it around and play more conservative in the second to last part of the season? Think about it. It could be the case. If the bills follow the current blueprint and run the table their last few games...

Our D line has improved a lot since the wrist was fixed. At the same we do not have a shut down corner and the play from our second corner has been awful until Leodis worked his way back in. Our linebacking is way below average.

We have 31 sacks so far, up from 27 for all of last year. And last year we had the anomaly of 10 sacks in the skins game. We may see almost a doubling of sacks if you remove that anomaly.

The D play the last 5 games has been a dramatic improvement even if we can't stop anyone on third down.

Biggest improvement on D line this year has been Carrington. Kyle and Marcel have not played any better than in the past. Anderson and Kelsay have been busts due to injury.

I was one of those fans who said the talent on the D is good, and didn't understand why they were giving up so much. I thought it might be Wanny's scheme, but wasn't sure.

Now the D is playing like many thought they should, and it seems many of the mistakes were gap responsibilities.

I'm not saying the D is going to keep playing like it has, but things seem to be pointed in the right direction. Glad to see Mario is playing better with the wrist fixed.

For someone that I find to be way out in "right" field politically, (get it, right field haha) I must admit you have very good football sense.

But I'm still pissed at you for ruining the love of one of my favorite bands!

I have to eat some crow here. My take was that he was a better OL than a DE and was just using the wrist as an excuse for poor play. But it looks like the wrist may have been the issue. It seems like since he had it fixed he's been tearing it up pretty good. Only time will tell though if we got our money's worth on the deal.

Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe...

Chan has been playing the way he has in the first half of the season in order to turn it around and play more conservative in the second to last part of the season? Think about it. It could be the case. If the bills follow the current blueprint and run the table their last few games...

I agree with your takes and I think that the players are getting more comfortable in the def. scheme and trusting each other more and staying in their gaps. This gelling of the defense came 8 games too late but better late than never.