The Fiscal Cliff talks

Harry Reid had this to say: “It will not protect middle-class families because it cannot pass both houses of Congress.”

So, it won't protect middle class families because congress won't let it?

I know right? The GOP are offering some of the same compromises that the Dems offered last year and the Dems are rejecting them.. Seriously, this game has to stop.

Compromise Democrats. It's what the legislative branch is supposed to be all about. Either that or just come out and admit that you want to take us over the cliff so you can blame the GOP.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ON INSIDE WASHINGTON: Evan Thomas, Charles Krauthammer rip Obama for lack of fiscal cliff leadership.

This is not Congress’ fault,” Thomas said. “Congress is behaving like Congress. This is the president’s fault. The president needs to go to the country and explain why they need to get this done. He has never done that.” . . . Thomas later reiterated his point by saying the aftermath of the election is a time for the president to spend his political capital not on gaining political advantage, but on solving a crisis.

“All political advances are with the president,” Thomas added. “What is he running for?
He won, right? This is his time to actually take some political hits and tell the truth for a change instead of trying to get political advantage
.”

He’s voting present while casting blame. But you gotta admit, that’s an approach that’s worked pretty well for him so far.

As a Community Organizer, its the only thing he knows.

We asked for it....

Anyone see the chosen one on Meet The Press this AM? Of course NBC provides a nice blanket of political cover and David Gregory allowed him to spin and twist the truth without any meaningful challenge. I gotta hand it to Obama, he's a crafty spinster looking straight into the camera and he must believe his own bull ****. Unfortunately the majority of viewers will probably believe it too. What a bag of crap he'll leave for the next President.

NOW THERE’S A SURPRISE:

“The Democrat also didn’t have time, apparently, to mention that the distasteful automatic budget cuts called sequestration were the idea of his White House.”

Duh! Why do you think the Reps will strike a deal? Defense contractors will go ballistic, so to speak....

It was a great bargaining tactic.

Mort Zuckerman:

Brace For An Avalanche Of Unfunded Debt: The fiscal cliff isn’t as scary as the looming deficit and debt crisis about to swamp the country.

The greatest fiscal challenge to the U.S. government is not just its annual deficit but its total liabilities. Our federal balance sheet does not include the unfunded social insurance obligations of Medicare, Social Security, and the future retirement benefits of federal employees. Only in the small print of the financial statements do you get some idea of the enormous size of the unfunded commitments. Today the estimated unfunded total is more than $87 trillion, or 550 percent of our GDP. And the debt per household is more than 10 times the median family income.

You really have to love how, after doing nothing but driving around the country telling everyone who is to blame for deals not getting done, the president is now updating everyone like the little kid peeking through a crack in a fence and turning to tell everyone what he sees. And I'm sure once a deal is done today he'll call a press conference to tell everyone what a great job he did peeking through the fence.

I'm genuinely sorry that this is the leadership our country wants. But here we are, like most every other lazyass American, putting off difficult tasks until the last possible moment, completing a half-assed product from a half-assed effort before standing around to tell everyone how hard they worked during the last 48 hours to accomplish something they had years to accomplish.

It's a takers world. Welcome to it.

Today the estimated unfunded total is more than $87 trillion, or 550 percent of our GDP. And the debt per household is more than 10 times the median family income.

it both astounds and depresses me that things could have actually come to the point where debt like this does not seem to concern most americans. seriously...how can this even be a partisan issue anymore? the populace is blinded by simple ignorance, but to those that pay any attention at all, regardless of party affiliation, why is there any debate on this? Alexander Hamilton believed that a national debt was good because it gave the voting populace a vested interest in the affairs of the state, but I'm willing to wager he wasn't thinking in terms of 87 trillion dollars.

To those that voted Obama on this board, let's here from you. How do you feel watching your newly re-elected President put up such strong resistance to spending cuts and entitlement reform as we drown in debt? What say you?

1. The fiscal cliff is made up.

2. Once the Baby Boomers die off entitlements will go way down.

3. You're a racist.

I can understand how Chris Mathews got a tingle down his leg when hearing Obama speak. He's so scary I get a trickle down my leg when I hear him speak.

To those that voted Obama on this board, let's here from you. How do you feel watching your newly re-elected President put up such strong resistance to spending cuts and entitlement reform as we drown in debt? What say you?

Anyone who voted for Obama is happy. They're getting exactly what they wanted.

I heard some talking head on CNN today while I was driving around today make a good observation. Both parties want to go over the cliff so they both can vote for tax cuts on Jan 1st or 2ns and make themselves look better saying they voted for tax cuts. I don't like the logic but I see the logic in it.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

It appears that a deal has been reached in the Senate to avoid the fiscal cliff's spending cuts for another two months, with a 50-50 mix of cuts and revenue increases to bridge that time period.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/01/us-usa-fiscal-deal-idUSBRE90001H20130101

A vote isn't expected to take place in the House until Tuesday, after the midnight deadline. So, technically, are we going over the cliff? I dunno. We'll see if the House passes this measure and kicks the can down the road... and in two months, we'll be right back to this point again.

Edited by UConn James

Im not following this close enough....the math and all these tax rules hurt my head (shaddup).

But Im reading a few different pieces trying to understand this "deal" last night and ALL Im seeing is ALL tax hikes or reinstatement of taxes like the payroll tax and not a single cut.

HUH???!!!??? REALLY???!!???

The only thing CLOSE to a "cut" is that they put off expanding the AMT even further than it is, which I think is good.

This government really sucks. Like.....seriously sucks.

Im not following this close enough....the math and all these tax rules hurt my head (shaddup).

But Im reading a few different pieces trying to understand this "deal" last night and ALL Im seeing is ALL tax hikes or reinstatement of taxes like the payroll tax and not a single cut.

HUH???!!!??? REALLY???!!???

The only thing CLOSE to a "cut" is that they put off expanding the AMT even further than it is, which I think is good.

This government really sucks. Like.....seriously sucks.

It's apparently $620B in tax increases, $15B in net spending cuts (net... b/c there's quite a bit of spending in this bill).

[sound of one hand clapping]

SMH.

I hope the House doesn't pass this just to say they passed something.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2013/01/01/senate-fiscal-proposal-620b-tax-hikes-15b-spending-cuts#ixzz2Gild5sSM

I'm sorry, but it's time to get 99ers+ off the dole, by whatever means necessary. (And not just so they can apply for SSDI.)

Well, one thing the BO supporters can count on - their payroll tax "break" is gone. Everyone's taxes are going to go up in 2013 - everyone's. Get ready to start paying some of "your fair share" and continue to support the liar who told you no one's taxes would go up by a single dime if he were reelected - not a single dime. More like bags of rolls of dimes it will be. Congratulations. You got the man and machine you voted for.