How the F did Reggie Wayne get so open

jonramz

I know everyone knows the play I am talking about... 3rd and 17 and the Colts best receiver is wide open. I got so pissed seeing that... now with the all-22 we can finally see who messed up. And trust me, they messed up bad.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=175

Spoiler Alert... it wasn't Mario Williams

Comments / Thoughts welcomed,

-Jon

In the interests of fairness... Nick Barnett on twitter has disagreed with my breakdown. Obviously he knows the play call, and I do not. But I still stand by my conclusions about 1) someone blowing a coverage and 2) Jumping the 2 yard check down on 3rd and 17 is not the correct football play. Assuming Barnett is being truthful, then the blame must either go to Wilson or Scott, whoever was responsible for the #2 receiver going vertical.

I have kept my original breakdown here... for record keeping purposes.

In going back and reviewing everything, the Bills seemed to have run the same coverage in the 1st Q w/ :48 left against a similar formation, the resulting play was a Mario Williams sack

Edited by jonramz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been doing it to everyone all year. If I am not mistaken he leads the NFL in receiveing yards this year.

Yeah but this wasn't Wayne doing anything special but running his route... this one was a badly blown coverage

It's what Wanny has been saying all year: the inability for players to play their responsibilities with discipline. It was obvious to anyone looking that somebody screwed up their zone coverage alignment. And it's no surprise to me at all that it was one of our LBs. As bad as they are in run D they are even worse in pass D. And for Barnett, supposedly the best of the lot, to be so out of position says all we need to know. The RB that he "jumped" should have had free reign underneath. Only a great play by that RB would have resulted in a first down.

I'll credit Luck and Wayne for the great plays they made in their sight adjustments, but it doesn't help when you make it easy for great players. It was a gimme for them.

GO BILLS!!!

I skipped to the end and saw Barnetts name. Doesn't surprise me. He sucks. He is to Chan Gailey and this Bills team that Kawicka Mitchell was for Jurons team. Honestly, no difference.

Let me just say.... I was expecting to see one of 3 people be the responsible party, Barnett, Scott, or Rodgers. Not surprised at all

Appreciate your analysis on this. The title of the thread is the question I asked -- verbatim -- when that play happened. Was going to post a question asking if anyone had the All-22 breakdown of the play, but was too frustred to expend the effort.

Like much of the game, the D-line did their job well and the LBs failed.

Let me just say.... I was expecting to see one of 3 people be the responsible party, Barnett, Scott, or Rodgers. Not surprised at all

I'm surprised Nix hasn't hit the dumpster and at least roll the dice on the linebackers in B-Lo. Usually under the current regime this is the time of year the dumpster dive becomes essential. of course in the past it was due to injuries. Maybe Nix/Gailey are to concerned that cutting someone other than the punter would admit failure, since the current crop of linebackers are all their own picks/FA's. For the most part.

Edited by Best Player Available

Barnett has been doing this every week.

Actually even if he was playing coverage correctly he still would have been beat.

That's debatable. If Barnett made his drop at the proper angle and depth, Wayne has to adjust his route even more and Luck has to make an amazing throw between the under/over coverage. Not nearly as easy a play to make. I believe if Barnett is in his proper coverage that Luck goes to the checkdown and hopes his RB can make a play after catching a short pass underneath.

GO BILLS!!!

The defensive schemes this team runs are maddening. Other teams consistently get their best receiver one-on-one with our nickle guy, which is something that should never happen.

While I agree with this statement overall, as for the play in question, Wanny was in the right defense for that particular game situation. The only thing wrong with it was the execution, particularly by Barnett as has been pointed out. As a result, any other defense that Wanny should have tried would have been the better one. But he had everyone accounted for on offense, especially because the Colts were sending three receivers against 7 defenders at the snap. I can't fault him for that.

GO BILLS!!!

How do we know that Barnett didn't do what he was assigned? They were at the 32, making it a 50 yard fg if the pass falls incomplete. Hence covering a back who could gain 7-8 yards makes a certain amount of sense. Let's not jump to conclusions here. The yellow line in the link is where the OP *thought* Barnett should have gone. He doesn't know that for sure, and there's a plausible argument for routing him underneath to take away the short gain and force a 50 yard fg attempt. If the FG attempt fails, the Bills are still within one score (It was 13-6 at the time).

Edited by dave mcbride

How do we know that Barnett didn't do what he was assigned? They were at the 32, making it a 50 yard fg if the pass falls incomplete. Hence covering a back who could gain 7-8 yards makes a certain amount of sense. Let's not jump to conclusions here. The yellow line in the link is where the OP *thought* Barnett should have gone. He doesn't know that for sure, and there's a plausible argument for routing him underneath to take away the short gain and force a 50 yard fg attempt.

it looks pretty clear that its quarters across - if his assignment was to cover the flat, someone else should have been in that zone. that would mean either 3 LBs were supposed to play wider, or the shell over the top was messed up by 3 guys.

i dont agree with what you are arguing at all. i think barnett freelanced thinking what you are saying, no doubt and didnt read a wr coming to his area. i dont think the scheme called for a quarter of the short zone coverage to be empty though.

If your Defensive scheme calls for a LB covering Reggie Wayne, the play is over before it begins.

teams play zone defense dozens of times a game. some teams use it, for instance a basic tampa 2 (chicago), as their base defense.

heck, the colts used it for years.

the play shouldnt be done if barnett is covering in a short space, like the assignment appears. the play would be done if you put barnett outside in man coverage without help.

Edited by NoSaint