How the F did Reggie Wayne get so open

jonramz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I feel bad that I missed the adjustment and said Barnett blew it... he didn't. I still don't think it was the optimal play though as he really doesn't need to jump the check down so hard on 3rd and 17. In this particular adjustment, the CB opposite trips plays man, the CB to trips has the deep 1/3 to his side the FS has the middle of the field, the nickel corner takes anything underneath towards the sideline, the middle backer (Scott) is supposed to get depth and take the inside breaking route, finally the WLB is supposes to get the 1st crosser or the RB on a flare.

Sorry this was a bit technical but that's the adjustment they made.

-Jon

Yeah I feel bad that I missed the adjustment and said Barnett blew it... he didn't. I still don't think it was the optimal play though as he really doesn't need to jump the check down so hard on 3rd and 17. In this particular adjustment, the CB opposite trips plays man, the CB to trips has the deep 1/3 to his side the FS has the middle of the field, the nickel corner takes anything underneath towards the sideline, the middle backer (Scott) is supposed to get depth and take the inside breaking route, finally the WLB is supposes to get the 1st crosser or the RB on a flare.

Sorry this was a bit technical but that's the adjustment they made.

-Jon

Great thread - thanks. Incidentally, it turns out that my theory was more or less right. There's a strong argument to be made for trying to keep it a one score game. A 50 yard fg is a lot harder to make than a 40 yarder, and that back if left uncovered would have picked up 10 easily.

Why was there even a LB out on the field on 3rd and 17?

To reiterate my earlier point, it was a one score game with a very long fg in the offing. Giving them 10 wouldn't give them a first, but it would certainly increase the likelihod of a 10 point Colt lead.