Very good assessment of the situation from TBN

I'm not going to put Jerry Sullivan's name in the thread title because certain people automatically discount what he says, but this article he wrote today puts everything that has happened in perspective.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121125/SPORTS/121129503/two-bills-drive-1004

Lindell had not been given a chance to do what he does best, and he vocalized it.

Spiller hasn't been given a chance to do what he does best.

Gailey is still in denial of what is wrong and holds on with clenched fist his idea of offense despite the evidence.

It has gotten ridiculous.

my favorite part:

The Bills are 4-7. Get this: They’ve been either 4-7 or 5-6 at this point in the season in 10 of the last 11 years. And to think, people were ready to get giddy about 5-6. Please, someone, make it stop.

I'm not giddy at all because 6-10 gets us another mid-round pick in the draft. We either should make the playoffs or just be bad and get some much needed help to go along with the new coaching and management.

Good piece. For all the talk of accountability when Nix was hired, which was then repeated when Gailey was hired, there hasn't been any thus far, and that bothers me. It's bad enough to endure these losses, but then to hear Gailey talk like everything is going fine, it gets really frustrating.

37 passes vs. 21 runs. 22 total touches for the two best offensive players on the team (w/ apologies to Stevie, I still put Fred ahead of him). Yet Gailey doesn't acknowledge that, and seems to think that the problem was a lack of execution -- which means he was fine, but the players effed up. And of course they did, especially Fitz. But that's because they're not that good. When does he think this magic wand is going to be waved that turns Fitzpatrick into Aaron Rodgers?

Gailey's comments regarding passing so much were ludicrous and borderline incomprehensible. The best interpretation I could get was that Spiller was very effective, and the Bills were having trouble with the pass rush, so therefore the Bills wanted to throw the ball on first down to avoid getting in third and long situations. Which is stupid. Not to mention that when you go empty backfield on first down, the defense still knows that it's a pass, and can treat it like a third and long! Did he not see Robert Mathis killing Chris Hairston all day? Yet he continues to go empty backfield over and over. Anyone except the coaching staff can see that the run game is way, way better than the pass game. But any opponent can take away the Bills' run game just by staying in base defense. Gailey will never deign to take Ruvell Martin off the field and go down to a 2 or 3 WR set. In his mind, everything needs to come from the spread, and if the opponent isn't matching up against your 4 WRs, the only option is to burn them in the passing game. Then he is repeatedly stunned that the pass game isn't good enough to burn them. "That was a fluke," he thinks. "It'll work next time."

I'm just looking forward to Buddy Nix giving Gailey another vote of confidence. Can we sign him to a 5-year extension already?

The situation is so depressing its beyond description. Ownership will likely make a coaching 'change' after the season. Bringing in another 2nd rate head coach with a lousy supporting staff making the promise turning things around. No high caliber coaching candidate is going to take the job at the teams pay scale and with a change in ownership pending at some point. The reset button on the rebuilding project gets hit once more. Then 3 years from now we'll be doing it again.

For me after 12, and now 13, years of futility and bungling it's difficult to find reasons to support and follow this dysfunctional franchise.

Punting inside 4 minutes down 7. Refusing to try 50 yd fg. Mis-managing the clock before the 2 minute warning at the end of the game. Going for it inside a minute at the 8. Defenses don't stop Spiller, Chan Gailey does. I have no faith in the front office getting rid of Gailey, unfortunately. I think he'll be fired mid-way thru next year and they'll give the interim job to somebody. Great move to bring in Tarvaris Jackson to be inactive all year. At 14-29 i'm not sure any other GM would bring Gailey back.

Nix stated that firing the coach would be a step back. A step back from what? 6-10? 7-9?

"Let’s stop dancing around and state the obvious:

The coach is second-rate.

The quarterback is second-rate."

You know its a rare article from Jerry when he gives compliments to the coach and QB.

And even more rare if they are legitmately deserved!

Good piece. For all the talk of accountability when Nix was hired, which was then repeated when Gailey was hired, there hasn't been any thus far, and that bothers me. It's bad enough to endure these losses, but then to hear Gailey talk like everything is going fine, it gets really frustrating.

37 passes vs. 21 runs. 22 total touches for the two best offensive players on the team (w/ apologies to Stevie, I still put Fred ahead of him). Yet Gailey doesn't acknowledge that, and seems to think that the problem was a lack of execution -- which means he was fine, but the players effed up. And of course they did, especially Fitz. But that's because they're not that good. When does he think this magic wand is going to be waved that turns Fitzpatrick into Aaron Rodgers?

Gailey's comments regarding passing so much were ludicrous and borderline incomprehensible. The best interpretation I could get was that Spiller was very effective, and the Bills were having trouble with the pass rush, so therefore the Bills wanted to throw the ball on first down to avoid getting in third and long situations. Which is stupid. Not to mention that when you go empty backfield on first down, the defense still knows that it's a pass, and can treat it like a third and long! Did he not see Robert Mathis killing Chris Hairston all day? Yet he continues to go empty backfield over and over. Anyone except the coaching staff can see that the run game is way, way better than the pass game. But any opponent can take away the Bills' run game just by staying in base defense. Gailey will never deign to take Ruvell Martin off the field and go down to a 2 or 3 WR set. In his mind, everything needs to come from the spread, and if the opponent isn't matching up against your 4 WRs, the only option is to burn them in the passing game. Then he is repeatedly stunned that the pass game isn't good enough to burn them. "That was a fluke," he thinks. "It'll work next time."

I'm just looking forward to Buddy Nix giving Gailey another vote of confidence. Can we sign him to a 5-year extension already?

I read Ruvell Martin and thought "Who?".

I had to look him up.

For those interested, his stats are....

Games 9

Receptions 0

Edited by Dibs

I read Ruvell Martin and thought "Who?".

I had to look him up.

For those interested, his stats are....

Games 9

Receptions 0

Hey man, don't knock one of those mysteriously famous WR's in the 5 WR empty backfield spread set :lol:

Somewhere Thurman Thomas is saying what the :censored: is Gailey thinking ....only giving Spiller 14 carries!!

"Let’s stop dancing around and state the obvious:

The coach is second-rate.

The quarterback is second-rate."

You know its a rare article from Jerry when he gives compliments to the coach and QB.

Excellent!!

This says it all.

I know there are a few posters here who think the Bills pass sets up the run, but honestly I don't care anymore. Spiller is too dynamic and it makes me sick that Gailey refuses to use him more often. It bothers me even more when he's taken out in the red zone. It's like thanks CJ for all the work now take a seat. I understand he's not gonna pound it in at the 1, but the guy is special, he'll find the end zone.

This says it all.

I know there are a few posters here who think the Bills pass sets up the run, but honestly I don't care anymore. Spiller is too dynamic and it makes me sick that Gailey refuses to use him more often. It bothers me even more when he's taken out in the red zone. It's like thanks CJ for all the work now take a seat. I understand he's not gonna pound it in at the 1, but the guy is special, he'll find the end zone.

I'm not sure if posters still think that but Gailey definitely does. Sucks to be us.

I'm not going to put Jerry Sullivan's name in the thread title because certain people automatically discount what he says, but this article he wrote today puts everything that has happened in perspective.

http://www.buffalone...ills-drive-1004

Lindell had not been given a chance to do what he does best, and he vocalized it.

Spiller hasn't been given a chance to do what he does best.

Gailey is still in denial of what is wrong and holds on with clenched fist his idea of offense despite the evidence.

It has gotten ridiculous.

:doh::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: