Hire this man now! Doug Whaley as GM

mellaman101

And that's a loser mentality. I'm glad you were in charge of getting Mario here. It's a NFL job with a borderline playoff roster. You get a guy here and tell them they can draft a QB, while keeping a guy who has started a bunch of NFL games on the roster, a defense that is finally showing it's talent, a top 10 oline, and maybe the most explosive rb in the NFL. There is a lot of talent that is being held back by 2 positions (head coach and QB).

IMO, this could be a very attractive opportunity. IF you make the playoffs here, you'd be a god. But we need the right people selling it.

LOL

Yes, he should have said that you can get talented players and coaches to Buffalo by giving them historically record contracts at their positions.

His bad.

And you're right about needing to have the right people selling it, where's PT Barnum when you need him. Perhaps Tony Robbins can help.

Good comedy in here at times.

Edited by TaskersGhost

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gem? Honestly, are you serious?

Man, Bills fans may be the best fans in the world, but we never learn a damn thing.

Talk is cheap my friend. Very cheap. If you haven't learned that after having been a Bills fan over the last decade, then I don't think you'll ever learn.

Talk about a major-league roll of the dice ala Buddy Nix. You and anyone else that really thinks that Whaley, with absolutely no experience, is a solution for this team, have fully earned the plight that this franchise is now in in an ongoing basis.

Jerry Reese?

If the G-Men saw things your way, they would have opted to pass on someone that is now top 3 in the league.

Whaley is actually the guy on whom I've been hanging my hopes that the team stays in Buffalo. Here's an up and coming front office star working for The Steelers - one of the most well-run organizations in pro sports. Instead of holding out for a true GM gig, he takes the assistant GM gig with The Bills - a poorly run organization on the verge of an ownership change and hence a completely uncertain future. Why would he take this job? There has to be a plan in place. In any business, all bets are off if you are in a management position and a new boss comes in. You might keep your job, you might not. Why would a guy with a job at a first-class franchise, a great resume and a promising future take a job with a pathetic franchise facing such upheaval? He's either an absolute fool (and I can't believe that based on his history) or he was promised a GM job when the time was right. And that promise could only be made if there's already a succession plan in place. Otherwise, how could they make a commitment to him? There's no need for him to gamble and hope for the best. If that were the case, he would've been better off staying in Pittsburgh. Anyone else with me on this?

Good thoughts

On the roster he has done a good job given what we had when he took over. However, I think he made two big mistakes - choice of HC and lack of prioritizing the QB position early in his tenure. One or both will come back to bite him. There is a possibility that Gailey advised him we are are fine at QB and if so, the first mistake becomes bigger.

I am on board with Whaley for GM if only to not see a total change of direction (change 4-3 back to 3-4 etc). The roster build is going fine and if the above problems are fixed, we should do well next year. Yesterday, it was the coaches that really blew the game.

Same fallacy endlessly repeated.

His QB, starting RB, #1 WR, FB, center and guard are leftovers from the Jauron era. So was his punter (until recently), his kicker, and what is now his best kick returner. His best players, by far, on defense (Byrd and K Williams) are also leftovers.

He has added Spiller (legit solid addition) to the O. Other than that, what? A rookie LT. A couple of FA linemen who rotate in and out to varying degrees of success. The rest of the WRs wouldn't start on most other teams. And still no QB.

On defense, he blew his load on MArio Williams and no doubt overpaid (no one else would have or was offering that kind of money--for good reason, it turns out). Dareus seemed like a no brainer at the time of the pick so I won;t fault Buddy there. The rest of the line--Kelsay (still here!), Carrington, Johnson, Troup (!) are all second string types rotating in and out. The linebackers, 3 years in, still are bad. The DB roster (Searcy, A Williams, Rogers), is filled with recent picks (Gilmore may be the exception) that contribute little to nothing. Merriman is a recurring joke. Despite the past 2 games against fair-to-bad teams with rookie QBs that allowed them to elevate to mediocre play, the D still sucks after 3 drafts.

Even if your claim that "what he had when he took over" was true, he has had 3 drafts to come up with significant changes and he hasn't.

A GM has only 2 really important decisions to make: HC and QB. For the former, Nix has failed (as he has with every coordinator hire also). For the latter, he hasn't even tried to make the decision, unless you count releasing Trent as taking care of the QB position.

He's a failure. And I'm not familiar with what makes Whaley so much better, other than "he comes from a winning organization", like Tom Donahoe....

Despite my theory that the Whaley hire is an indicator of succession plan, I don't think there's any way Nix gets let go. He will retire according to his own timetable and then Whaley will be promoted. And considering Nix already publicly endorsed him for next year, it looks like Gailey isn't going anywhere either (which is astounding). They are officially the football version of Regier and Ruff. How they will be able to justify keeping Gailey with such a brutal record (and a lot of blowout losses) is beyond me. Brandon and the marketing department will have their most daunting task yet when it comes time to convince a completely jaded fanbase to buy into these clowns for another season. The only thing they will be able to sell is a new QB. And don't be surprised if that QB comes via free agency.

Same fallacy endlessly repeated.

He's a failure. And I'm not familiar with what makes Whaley so much better, other than "he comes from a winning organization", like Tom Donahoe....

I will save myself a bunch of typing and refer you to DrD's post which I agree with to a large extent:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/150798-colin-kaepernick-get-er-dun/page__st__120

Whaley is actually the guy on whom I've been hanging my hopes that the team stays in Buffalo. Here's an up and coming front office star working for The Steelers - one of the most well-run organizations in pro sports. Instead of holding out for a true GM gig, he takes the assistant GM gig with The Bills - a poorly run organization on the verge of an ownership change and hence a completely uncertain future. Why would he take this job? There has to be a plan in place. In any business, all bets are off if you are in a management position and a new boss comes in. You might keep your job, you might not. Why would a guy with a job at a first-class franchise, a great resume and a promising future take a job with a pathetic franchise facing such upheaval? He's either an absolute fool (and I can't believe that based on his history) or he was promised a GM job when the time was right. And that promise could only be made if there's already a succession plan in place. Otherwise, how could they make a commitment to him? There's no need for him to gamble and hope for the best. If that were the case, he would've been better off staying in Pittsburgh. Anyone else with me on this?

:thumbsup:

I have felt the same way...but I always have this fear that he gets hired away by another team and does well for someone else.

I think there has been an active succession plan since the beginning of last year. I think that the new management group has been contributing to decisions for a while now with free agent signings, the stadium lease and with front office personnel.

:thumbsup:

I have felt the same way...but I always have this fear that he gets hired away by another team and does well for someone else.

That would be vintage Bills. Granted, we have no idea of his potential one way or the other. But your fear playing out would be vintage Bills.

I think there has been an active succession plan since the beginning of last year. I think that the new management group has been contributing to decisions for a while now with free agent signings, the stadium lease and with front office personnel.

That would be amazing if true.

What's the basis for assuming Whaley will be good?

None from my end. I was only presenting my theory of a succession plan being in place based on the fact that he came here at all. As for how he would perform, we can only hope that all of those reasonable, sane and intelligent decisions The Steelers make rubbed off on him.

Jerry Reese?

If the G-Men saw things your way, they would have opted to pass on someone that is now top 3 in the league.

Even more thinking that's gotten us to where we are.

Thank you.

What's the basis for assuming Whaley will be good?

Same as it usually is, put on your special Bills Nike's tap your heels together three times while saying "BILL-ieve!"

We'd have a better chance of catching a cold while sitting on the beach in Cancun.

Nobody with a legitimately bright future in the league is coming to Buffalo (edit: or otherwise gunning to lead this franchise).

The list of reasons is a mile long, but we could probably start with: the ownership situation, the lack of a franchise QB, the size of the market, no #1 overall pick, etc.

It's both painfully clear and completely heartbreaking.

That said, we're still an NFL franchise, and that's still enough prestige to attract plenty of candidates, just none that anyone else likely wants.

You have to love people that selectively pin good decisions on some without pinning the bad ones. Like Nix with the 2009 draft, but not responsible for 2010. Or the 2011 defensive performance on Edwards, but Wannstedt was totally immune. Or now that Whaley has assumed a high role in the front office that he isn't part of the problem because he's not the actual GM.

One has to wonder, as you've noted, why Whaley would leave a model franchise for a bottom tier one (at the time) 8 years without a playoff appearance and in need of another rebuild. Why did Pittsburgh let him go? Was it because Kevin Colbert is the brains of the operation there or because he wasn't solid, or perhaps he just wanted a challenge and had a ceiling with the Steelers.

Either way, the Bills aren't a place you go to build or complete a career. It's become NFL Siberia for many players, coaches, and front office types.

Man I hope so Nix has done a poor job of getting talent on this roster and Chan is way too pass happy and has Fitz and SJ questioning his playcallling.

Maybe Greg Roman will want to come back closer to home growing as he grew up in NJ and his father is the great Strength coach Dr. Ken Liestner who ran Iron Island Gym in Long Island.

I like your way of thinking but God only knows. Maybe Nix gets his QB of the future and bails after the draft like they did to Modrak as he had too much time invested into that draft year.

Really?!

2010 draft a complete waste besides Spiller,

2011 might have some ok players,

and we have already cut or traded 4 picks from this years class and it's not like we are so loaded with talent that they couldn't be guys who should be able to contribute.

Being in Buffalo doesn't make you much closer to the tri-state area. It's still a flight away, not driving distance.

And that's a loser mentality. I'm glad you were in charge of getting Mario here. It's a NFL job with a borderline playoff roster. You get a guy here and tell them they can draft a QB, while keeping a guy who has started a bunch of NFL games on the roster, a defense that is finally showing it's talent, a top 10 oline, and maybe the most explosive rb in the NFL. There is a lot of talent that is being held back by 2 positions (head coach and QB).

IMO, this could be a very attractive opportunity. IF you make the playoffs here, you'd be a god. But we need the right people selling it.

Gosh, I couldn't disagree more. Like you and the others here, I love this team (or the idea of it) ... and the city (after having lived elsewhere and moved back) ... but objectively this team looks like a total disaster for the reasons I listed before. Even if we were willing to dramatically overpay, I see the realistic chances of scoring an up-and-coming GM and/or coaching star as virtually zero.

There's a reason why Buffalo is rarely, if ever, touted as a prime opportunity for any great up-and-coming coaching prospect. And it's not just because everyone hates Buffalo - i.e. the perpetual mysterious anti-Buffalo conspiracy.

Should we give up? Of course not, but the only chance this franchise has to turn things around (absent some grandiose, fantasy change-in-ownership scenario) is for us to accidentally stumble upon the next Tom Brady or the like. NE had a brilliant stroke of luck there, and it ultimately went a long way toward turning that entire franchise.

I hear you, makes sense too.

I hope that skin color was not the reason he left Pittsburg. I would hope that Ralph would not have a problem with a Black man running his franchise.

The sooner Whaley takes over the better. I for one cant wait to see it happen.

Edited by Bufcomments

I hear you, makes sense too.

I hope that skin color was not the reason he left Pittsburg. I would hope that Ralph would not have a problem with a Black man running his franchise.

The sooner Whaley takes over the better. I for one cant wait to see it happen.

What in the world are you talking about?

Are you freakin serious? What coach that's been a HC in Buffalo in the past 12 years got a HC gig anywhere else in the league? (Phillips is an exception... he was HC only in title... Jerry Jones was/is the coach). Buffalo is only a temporary destination for a coach that would not possibly be hired by another NFL team. They take the Buffalo job only so they can say they were a HC in the NFL. It might land them an assistant coaching job.... or college HC.... but once they've been to Buffalo as an HC, the word is out... you are an ass kissing lemming that doesn't have a clue what it takes to win in this league.

What coach worth 2 S#its would come to Buffalo under the current circumstances? You watch... the next owner is going to totally purge this organization when the keys change hands.

Whaley? Ah, yes.... why do you think Ralph would hire him in the first place? Simple, because he meets the typical OBD "lemming" criteria.

It's beyond me that people really think that any change in the Bills organization (under the current ownnership) will make any difference in terms of wins and losses.

Keep sipping that koolaid. It cannot possibly happen until a new owner signs on.

+1000000000000

Ralph needs to go before this team becomes anything other than the worst run football organization in the NFL.