JJ Watt vs Marcell Dareus

That's an interesting question. Some things come to mind when I think about it. How does it effect a player who is coming here from a very successful football program in college, to end up playing for a team as inept as the Bills are, and have been? I mean, I read a quote the other day from, I believe, George Wilson, saying the Bills players talked and agreed, like two weeks ago, that their playoffs started then. Well, that seems to be a theme in this neck of the woods - playoffs in November. Sitting home in January.

Many would say these men are professionals, they shouldn't need to be motivated. My response, however, is that when they were in college I would bet they were giving it their all. You can't give more than your all. So, either their level of commitment will remain high as a pro, or it will decline - but they aren't going to all of a sudden find 110 percent. For some guys it is all about self motivation - and Kyle Williams comes to mind - but, most athletes respond to their coach, their scheme, their teammates.

I believe Dareus will be very good for a long time, and I don't underestimate the value of DT's. I do, though, think he would be playing better still if he were in an organization like San Fran, or Seattle, or Pittsburgh.

We've had some really good talent come through Buffalo and leave to shine elsewhere. This idea of who would have been better is less interesting to me than contemplating who we could bring in, coaching-wise, to maximize what we do have, before it, too, is gone. I don't know about the rest of you out there in Bills Nation, but I have to see a new DC next year, no matter what we look like from here out, and I hope it ends up being someone fresh, innovative, and able to maximize these players strengths.

So far from what I've seen, I would rank BPA like this.

AJ Green

JJ Watt

Von Miller

All three of these guys are elite players, game changers. All three might be the best at their position in the NFL already.

Don't forget Aldon Smith.

As for JJ Watt, he'd be at least as dominant if not more in a 4-3 scheme. He's a great football player and would be great in virtually any scenario. I loved him coming out but I loved a lot of players at the top of that draft.

I think Dareus is gonna be a great player. People keep forgetting that he's only 22 years old. It looks to me like he still has some baby fat to melt and that he's gonna grow into a ridiculous force. Marcel never gives up on a play and shows great hustle and desire.

There's no question in my mind that we'll all be very glad we drafted Marcel Dareus.

Don't forget Aldon Smith.

As for JJ Watt, he'd be at least as dominant if not more in a 4-3 scheme. He's a great football player and would be great in virtually any scenario. I loved him coming out but I loved a lot of players at the top of that draft.

I think Dareus is gonna be a great player. People keep forgetting that he's only 22 years old. It looks to me like he still has some baby fat to melt and that he's gonna grow into a ridiculous force. Marcel never gives up on a play and shows great hustle and desire.

There's no question in my mind that we'll all be very glad we drafted Marcel Dareus.

Baby fat? At 22?

At this point of their careers, Watt is clearly winning the argument...

I agree with those who say no one thought Watt was going to be this good...But still, it would have been nice if Buddy was the only one... ;)

We'll see what happens the next 2 years...Dareus needs to finish strong in 2012...Then follow that up with a dedication to come back in 2013 as a monster...I really think it's all about how bad Dareus want's to be great... B-)

But Vince Wilfork is a big fat pig. I watched him not just beat, but blow up double teams against the Jets.

Vince was a few months short of 23 years old when he was a rookie.

And Vince has continued to get better as he gets older.

Marcel will be the same way. But Marcel was a 21 year old rookie.

Lot of guess work on the future presented as fact on this thread. I hope you all are right.

Wilfork will likely make the Hall of Fame.

I'm not gonna measure Marcel by Wilfork.

Marcel might not make the Hall but in my opinion he's gonna be a great player.

Yeah there's some guess work but it is a fact that Wilfork was 20 months older than Dareus as a rookie.

At the time out run D was so bad it was more of a need to have a huge monstrous man in the middle eating up OLmen. Now, is another question. I'd prolly still rather have MD but I also think he's better than what were seeing this year. At least I hope.

I thought that JJ Watt was the best D lineman coming out and I posted it here. I loved his consistancy and his leadership at Wisconsin.

I love Dareus - but Watt is reminding me of Reggie White. I haven't seen a d-end play with such power and intensity since White left the game.

JPP Last year, He had the play of the year that made the Giants go to the superbowl on the blocked field goal against Dallas. Without him there is no superbowl for the Giants.

I know this has been covered but I thought I would freshen it up. Do you at this time feel it was wise for the Bills to pick Marcell Dareus over JJ? I watched the HOU-DET game and JJ was in the QBs face or batting down balls all game.

Hmmm - well, nine other teams whiffed on JJ as well, he was the 11th pick. Moreover, yes, he's a tremendous player, but he also has the huge benefit of playing for a defense that is pretty good, with or without him. MD, not so much. I'm just fine with him. You could play this game all day long, there are always players who turn out to be better that are taken after our guy. Every team could say that.

A lot of it comes down to defensive schemes. Put Dareus in San Fran and he would be tearing it up. Put JJ Watt in Wanny's system and he wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well as he is now.

Buffalo's biggest needs right now are: 1) an aggressive DC 2) a true franchise QB 3) MLB 4) tall & strong WR that can take the ball away from defenders if/when need be.

If the Bills had picked Watt, they would have lined him up at OLB in a 3-4 last year, probably kept him there in this year's 4-3, he'd suck because he's not a LB in any sense, and people would be crying that the Bills made a mistake not picking up that Dareus guy who's tearing it up in Houston.

I know this has been covered but I thought I would freshen it up. Do you at this time feel it was wise for the Bills to pick Marcell Dareus over JJ? I watched the HOU-DET game and JJ was in the QBs face or batting down balls all game.

Based on what was known on draft day, anybody other than Dareus at #3 would have been a big head scratcher. Green, Peterson, Jones, and Smith right after are all very good players, but I don't think any of them were a better fit for us or clearly better. But taking the #11 player at #3 needs either some magic crystal ball, or just 20-20 hindsight.

Just like the Spiller pick (nobody picked 10-18 made any sense as a better player for us, and picking someone lower than that is future-prediction cheating), I think the Dareus pick is a good draft day decision. And like the Spiller pick is now proving, I hope it also ends up being a great on field five years of contribution pick.

Disclaimer, I actually liked Dareus more than Von Miller on draft day and was happy when the Broncos picked Miller because I thought it might go the other way. I'm pretty sure that might not have been the right draft day decision had it not been made for us, and Von is really living up to the post Senior Bowl hype.

Seriously. Nobody was even considering taking Watt with the 3rd overall pick and were happy Dareus was available. But now that he could be a great player people want to crap on the front office as if everyone saw this coming? Give me a break.

Agree with you 100%. Nearly everyone had Dareus as the number two pick going to Denver. I was one of the many who loved Dareus falling to us (we were getting destroyed on the ground so he appeared to be just what the doctor ordered).

I dont think anyone realized how good he was going to be so I dont blame the Bills. And Marcell has been turning it up of late.

I think thats why Nix gets paid Millions of dallors to be an NFL GM - to realize that type of stuff.

Thinking back to them both in college, I thought Dareus was good in college, but I never saw him dominate a game single handedly like I saw Watt do a number of times. Watt reminded me of Suh in college, Dareus I guess I kinda just assumed was good cause everyone said he was.