Free healthcare for all...

meazza

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I don't get about GMO, or whatever you want to call them:

there are currently, what? 6.5 billion humans on Earth? What the hell would you like to feed the planet with? Without fertilizers and modifiying plants to grow in drier climates, we will starve. I simply do not see any way around that.

However, as Chef points out, eating smarter can make a difference too. Don't cram yourself with soda, fatty, salty foods, and have a minimum abount of excercise and you will be better off.

I cook as much as possible for the family as I can, and try to teach the boys that they need to eat healthier foods. They don't get soda, and I push fruits as much as possible. We limit junk food snacks. I would like to get suggestions from you guys as to what kind of stuff you suggest for making meals at home (30-45 minutes max cook time) for a family with two small boys...

Honestly all kinds of different rice out there....find a few different ones to keep variety, cut up some mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc...and throw them on the pan with some different sauces....that basic approach a number of different ways is usually good. Not saying it's crazy expensive and I know Chef will kill me for bringing it up again but that is still more expensive than hamburger meat and frozen french fries.

I'm not against GMOs per say but there is a big difference between hybridization of closely related species or breeding for traits and being able to insert a gene from a bacteria into corn for insect resistance, a gene from peanuts into potatoes to increase the protein profile, personally I love science and spider goats, but long term a lot of this is a science experiment that we don't know the end of.

Plants and Jellyfish DNA Just Will Splice

Singapore Polytechnic students have created a plant that glows when it needs to be watered. Green Flourescent markers from jellyfish genes were genetically inserted into the plant.

At this time, the glow from the jellyfish DNA is hard to see with the naked eye, and requires optical sensor created by Singapore's Nanyang Technological University.

The Singapore Polytechnic students think that the glow may be able to help farmers identify problems with the crop's water source and correct those issues.

Edited by ....lybob

And here's the funny thing. The best meals in the US....hell the world are made with the cheapest cuts of meat and originated as family meals for the poor. Why do you think BBQ is cooked for 6 hours? Beef stew for 2. Curry was to hide the rotten meat smell. Pasta, rice, meatballs, cassoulet (look it up), coq au vin (look that up too). Listen, poor people (and rich people) in this country are fat for mainly one reason. We've all become lazy bastards.

And take a walk?!?! What are you insane??

"Lazy" or just flat out too tired...

Sleep too. You are probably sleeping right now... But I am starting midnights right now... I am probably gonna skip a night of sleep somewhere in the transition with the swing shift. I will probably put three miles on walking before you awake. We are a 24 hour, 365 nation... Many people are working odd hours, that doesn't help in making proper choices. It has been studied, one makes poor food choices when sleep deprived. Labeling people as being "lazy" is a scapegoat.

http://blogs.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/2007/07/sleep-deprivation-leads-to-unhealthy-eating-habits.html

"I was reading a recent article on NutritionHorizon.com, an online source for updates in health research, and came across a news piece about a study pointing to a link between sleep deprivation and poor eating habits.

I didn’t see that as “groundbreaking.” The last time I was tired, under-slept, and cranky, guess what – I didn’t feel like cooking a nutritious, homegrown meal. Grabbing a quick meal was more like what I had in mind. So when I read about a new study that points to a link between sleep deprivation and poor eating habits, it seems like an obvious conclusion that anecdotal evidence has always shown: when you don’t get enough sleep, you’re more likely to avoid preparing your own meals at home and, God forbid, resort to fast food."

Now where did I put that hotdog (all beef of course) and Dr.Pepper (been around sinice 1885) again... :blush:;)

Honestly all kinds of different rice out there....find a few different ones to keep variety, cut up some mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc...and throw them on the pan with some different sauces....that basic approach a number of different ways is usually good. Not saying it's crazy expensive and I know Chef will kill me for bringing it up again but that is still more expensive than hamburger meat and frozen french fries.

Can you do it in a microwave? No stove available at the times you need it... What happens if you are sleeping when you chould be at the stove? That would be like getting up @ two in the morning and cooking over a stove?

I am actually blessed... Our family makes it work... Every week I work a different shift... I go from 0800-1600 to 1600-2400 to 2400-0800... With only one long weekend (Thursday to Tuesday) off before going back to day shift. Wife works full time M-F, most of the time we are two-ships passing in the night... It works and we are flexible and there for the children everyday... Well somebody is... Trading off duties... It does come at a price: Poor eating habits for the parents BUT NEVER the children! You are just too dog tired at times to worry about yourself... Holidays help once in a while... But with my job being 24/7/365... Not even Christmas this year will be an off day for me... I will make it up somoe other time to spend w/family (and not be sleeping or trying to sleep).

Not complaining, people have worked crazy hours for a long time... I just bet more are doing it now. I head off to work @ 2315 for the start of midnight shift, I notice a neighbor down the street doing the same thing, heading off to work the graveyard shift... Zipping on down to the Chicago Loop for the night shift... Where is he stopping first? At the all night McDonald's! Strange how McDonald's never felt that they needed to stay open 24/7 until a few short years ago? Their market must have changed recently? And they are doing well, VERY well!

All this European GMO scare is bull***. They still smoke like chimneys. I was in DeGaulle Airport in Paris and that place smelled like an ashtray. They had ashtrays at the gate!

Everything is GMO. Breeding animals or crops is genetically modifying the organism. Ever see the ancient corn. It looked like those miniature corn cobs you see in chinese meals. They have been genetically modified to get what you see today as corn on the cob. Lemons and avocados have to be grafted onto rootstock.

Name ONE instance of where someone was shown to be harmed by GMO foods.

RIP Edgar Royal. :ph34r:

some underappreciated consequences of huge american agribusiness: http://nationalfork....ld-agriculture/

We were talking in the OTW thread (jboyst) about 6 months how much soy was moving here and out to the "world"... In all my years here, I never seen so much soy being pushed! They get it to market real cheap and in huge quantities! :blush:

We were talking in the OTW thread (jboyst) about 6 months how much soy was moving here and out to the "world"... In all my years here, I never seen so much soy being pushed! They get it to market real cheap and in huge quantities! :blush:

the loss of diversity in plant food sources is what worries me. it's akin to purposefully limiting drug companies to making a few antibiotics. what happens if, despite the genetic engineering, a mutant plant virus makes one of the major soy species useless?

Rice and vegetables are more expensive than hamburger meat and frozen fries?? Where the !@#$ do you shop??

Can you do it in a microwave? No stove available at the times you need it... What happens if you are sleeping when you chould be at the stove? That would be like getting up @ two in the morning and cooking over a stove?

I am actually blessed... Our family makes it work... Every week I work a different shift... I go from 0800-1600 to 1600-2400 to 2400-0800... With only one long weekend (Thursday to Tuesday) off before going back to day shift. Wife works full time M-F, most of the time we are two-ships passing in the night... It works and we are flexible and there for the children everyday... Well somebody is... Trading off duties... It does come at a price: Poor eating habits for the parents BUT NEVER the children! You are just too dog tired at times to worry about yourself... Holidays help once in a while... But with my job being 24/7/365... Not even Christmas this year will be an off day for me... I will make it up somoe other time to spend w/family (and not be sleeping or trying to sleep).

Not complaining, people have worked crazy hours for a long time... I just bet more are doing it now. I head off to work @ 2315 for the start of midnight shift, I notice a neighbor down the street doing the same thing, heading off to work the graveyard shift... Zipping on down to the Chicago Loop for the night shift... Where is he stopping first? At the all night McDonald's! Strange how McDonald's never felt that they needed to stay open 24/7 until a few short years ago? Their market must have changed recently? And they are doing well, VERY well!

You make your food when you can portion it up and microwave it at work when you need it. :doh:

And what is this **** about the country being sleep deprived is making us fat. WTF dude. I bought a week's worth of salads at the store on Sunday.

Inactivity has nothing to do with it?

Of course it does. Tgreg is insane.

I can shovel in 15,000 calories a day. If I burn 15,001 calories a day, Im not getting fat. Thats a scientific fact.

Edited by RkFast

Of course it does. Tgreg is insane.

I can shovel in 15,000 calories a day. If I burn 15,001 calories a day, Im not getting fat. Thats a scientific fact.

Unless you have hormone issues, but in general it is calories in versus calories out...Americans just tend to excel in calories in..

The great thing about inactivity is that after a while your body will require fewer calories, but your appetite really won't change. That is my recipe for getting fat quickly. I find that going to the gym 3 to 4 days a week pretty much makes my intake irrelevant. Any type of diet is just bonus as long as the gym routine is going strong.

You can even eat cheap and healthy on the run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHIo4VruGZY

The answer to whether you can eat healthy for a reasonable cost is it depends- do you have a yard? do you have prep space, what is the state of your refrigeration, what type of cooking facilities do you have, what is the state of your transportation, where are the supermarkets located, do you know how to cook, how many are you feeding, etc etc - someone mentioned giving someone a jar of peanut butter and maybe that would be a good idea and maybe he doesn't have spoon or a knife, maybe he lives in a shelter where personal food is not allowed, or maybe he lives on the street where the cold will make that peanut butter into a brick- I mean just don't assume too much of what people have.

As someone who's done a fair amount of camping, (& I don't mean the kind where you park your car, walk 20 ft, set up your state of the art outdoor luxury set-up, and plug in the generator) I can personally attest to the fact, and it is a fact, that most of the concerns you just reeled off are overblown or unfounded.

The problem with humans is an innate desire to pleasure-seek. Eating healthy and within a budget requires effort to find sales, tasty-enough recipes, and to prepare the meals. And a salad isn't as tasty (for most) as a nice Big Mac, nevermind the prep time needed to make it. Not exercising and watching TV is also more desireable for many. Yet the answer from this idiotic administration is to throw more money at the symptoms rather than tackle the underlying disease. And that's why it will be a huge !@#$ing failure.

The problem with humans is an innate desire to pleasure-seek. Eating healthy and within a budget requires effort to find sales, tasty-enough recipes, and to prepare the meals. And a salad isn't as tasty (for most) as a nice Big Mac, nevermind the prep time needed to make it. Not exercising and watching TV is also more desireable for many. Yet the answer from this idiotic administration is to throw more money at the symptoms rather than tackle the underlying disease. And that's why it will be a huge !@#$ing failure.

agreed. we all pleasure seek. plenty of science to support that: rats starving for an endorphin buzz and such.but does the agribiz and restaraunt industry have to exploit it so aggressively? just check out kessler's thesis in the book i cited. there are food scientists targeting brain pleasure centers to sell more blooming onions and the like. and there damn good at it. and it works.so what is the solution? one possible countermove is to tax unhealthy foods, especially these designer foods. this makes them less attractive to produce and consume. just like cigarettes. but i'm sure this will be summarily dismissed by much of the rest of the board.