Free healthcare for all...

meazza

The answer to whether you can eat healthy for a reasonable cost is it depends- do you have a yard? do you have prep space, what is the state of your refrigeration, what type of cooking facilities do you have, what is the state of your transportation, where are the supermarkets located, do you know how to cook, how many are you feeding, etc etc - someone mentioned giving someone a jar of peanut butter and maybe that would be a good idea and maybe he doesn't have spoon or a knife, maybe he lives in a shelter where personal food is not allowed, or maybe he lives on the street where the cold will make that peanut butter into a brick- I mean just don't assume too much of what people have.

bull **** bull **** bull ****!!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to whether you can eat healthy for a reasonable cost is it depends- do you have a yard? do you have prep space, what is the state of your refrigeration, what type of cooking facilities do you have, what is the state of your transportation, where are the supermarkets located, do you know how to cook, how many are you feeding, etc etc - someone mentioned giving someone a jar of peanut butter and maybe that would be a good idea and maybe he doesn't have spoon or a knife, maybe he lives in a shelter where personal food is not allowed, or maybe he lives on the street where the cold will make that peanut butter into a brick- I mean just don't assume too much of what people have.

this is very true. but tar paper shacks and rusted single wides excluded, people can become much more self sufficient. nevertheless, provisions are needed for the aforementioned. and that's up to we, the people.

also, it's interesting to consider the food sources available to the urban poor. much lower quality at much higher cost. hillary clinton brought this to light during her campaign. no money and bad possible food choices at high cost = diabetes, heart disease, obesity, hypertension, gout, hyperlipidemia, early death and, most important to the cons, high health care costs. you won't find a whole foods in urban poor neighborhoods. mostly glorified mini marts. better stores are just not profitable there.

but there's always community gardens, pie in the sky? not really. pilot programs have been successful. but look at the guff michelle obama gets for planting the seed.

Edited by birdog1960

this is very true. but tar paper shacks and rusted single wides excluded, people can become much more self sufficient. nevertheless, provisions are needed for the aforementioned. and that's up to we, the people.

also, it's interesting to consider the food sources available to the urban poor. much lower quality at much higher cost. hillary clinton brought this to light during her campaign. no money and bad possible food choices at high cost = diabetes, heart disease, obesity, hypertension, gout, hyperlipidemia, early death and, most important to the cons, high health care costs. you won't find a whole foods in urban poor neighborhoods. mostly glorified mini marts. better stores are just not profitable there.

bull **** bull **** bull ****

Listen, you guys are so full of ****. I just had a $3.99 very healthy salad that had all the ingredeints in it. No need for a refrigerator or work space. I mixed it at my desk at work with a plastic fork. I got it at Trader Joes and there is one walking distance from the poorest neighborhoods in downtown SF. Low income people have access to all the foods the the non-poor have. It's just that they tend to make very poor choices in their lives on a daily basis. You ever wonder why they're poor?? :wallbash:

And you mention Whole Foods? There is one closer to the Tenderloin in SF but Whole Food is the worst example to use. They may have healthy foods but it's only for rich hippies. We call in Whole Paycheck. I don't even go there anymore. Well ok I do for their beer selections.

Edited by Chef Jim

Listen, you guys are so full of ****. I just had a $3.99 very healthy salad that had all the ingredeints in it. No need for a refrigerator or work space. I mixed it at my desk at work with a plastic fork. I got it at Trader Joes and there is one walking distance from the poorest neighborhoods in downtown SF. Low income people have access to all the foods the the non-poor have. It's just that they tend to make very poor choices in their lives on a daily basis. You ever wonder why they're poor?? :wallbash:

glad you got your roughage. have a nice dump. but sf is not everywhere.

i agree. there's room for much better choices. not only from the poor but of the overweight execs i see. and from me and i suspect, at times, you. but the food industry (agibusiness) could help out a great deal by producing healthier foods at lower cost. there's much less profit margin in carrots than engineered corn. and much of that is the gov't doing.

anybody know who said we're doomed when we grow to feed the machines? always makes me think of "terminator".

Edited by birdog1960

glad you got your roughage. have a nice dump. but sf is not everywhere.

i agree. there's room for much better choices. not only from the poor but of the overweight execs i see. and from me and i suspect, at times, you. but the food industry (agibusiness) could help out a great deal by producing healthier foods at lower cost. there's much less profit margin in carrots than engineered corn. and much of that is the gov't doing.

Once again that's where you and I disagree. I'm overweight because of the choices I make not what the food industry produces. What healthier foods would you like to see at lower costs that are not currently available?

bull **** bull **** bull ****!!! I have posted here that it is actually cheaper to eat healthy. It's just that no one knows how to shop and cook

Listen, you guys are so full of ****.

So.....you're saying they're full of ****? Must be eating something.

Seriously....eating healthy is not 'that' challenging. Spend 7 bucks at McD's and feed yourself once. Spend 10 bucks on a pound of pasta, a couple pounds of chicken and you can feed a family of four. Splurge and get a 'bag' of pre-made salad for a buck. Cook the same meal for two and you have leftovers for the next day. Cut out the garbage and get cooking! Then go for a walk...

Once again that's where you and I disagree. I'm overweight because of the choices I make not what the food industry produces. What healthier foods would you like to see at lower costs that are not currently available?

fruits and vegetables. i'm serious about local being the answer. imagine the costs decreasing if local growers were used by a sizable portion of the population. people are eating fruit from south america everyday in the summer and fall while local is readilty available. we've become accustomed to unspotted apples anf "perfect' lettuce. nithing else will do enev if it's actually better. and make no mistake. this was be design. americans are always lured to more attractive things even if they're likely to hurt. there told to every day by advertising on every pstime available.

So.....you're saying they're full of ****? Must be eating something.

Seriously....eating healthy is not 'that' challenging. Spend 7 bucks at McD's and feed yourself once. Spend 10 bucks on a pound of pasta, a couple pounds of chicken and you can feed a family of four. Splurge and get a 'bag' of pre-made salad for a buck. Cook the same meal for two and you have leftovers for the next day. Cut out the garbage and get cooking! Then go for a walk...

And here's the funny thing. The best meals in the US....hell the world are made with the cheapest cuts of meat and originated as family meals for the poor. Why do you think BBQ is cooked for 6 hours? Beef stew for 2. Curry was to hide the rotten meat smell. Pasta, rice, meatballs, cassoulet (look it up), coq au vin (look that up too). Listen, poor people (and rich people) in this country are fat for mainly one reason. We've all become lazy bastards.

And take a walk?!?! What are you insane??

And here's the funny thing. The best meals in the US....hell the world are made with the cheapest cuts of meat and originated as family meals for the poor. Why do you think BBQ is cooked for 6 hours? Beef stew for 2. Curry was to hide the rotten meat smell. Pasta, rice, meatballs, cassoulet (look it up), coq au vin (look that up too). Listen, poor people (and rich people) in this country are fat for mainly one reason. We've all become lazy bastards.

Dead on about the lazy part. McD's is so much easier than cooking for half an hour. I agree that this is the biggest culprit here. The low end fast food stuff fattens the poor (and rich)...... and the high end dripped in butter and fat stuff fattens the well off.

My wife and I have greatly expanded our cooking efforts in the last few years. Now...we rarely go out because we feel we make stuff just as good and at a fraction of the cost. It takes effort (and acceptance of the cooking learning curve) but it is so much healthier and cheaper. I buy most of my ingredients at a discount food market.

Actually i prefer to run....a lot. And yes.....I'm certifiable at times.

So it has nothing to do with eating BBQ sandwiches for lunch and pasta w/ meatballs for dinner 3 times a week all with servings fit for a king? C'mon...the portions we eat and frequency with which we eat fatty foods is the predominate factor...not the lack of walks. Exercise certainly would help....but it's not like the world ran 5 miles 5 days a week and then just stopped.

There's wait times in every city, in every state and in every country... Unless you are rich or a donor, then you walk to the front of the line... You have to know somebody on the inside, you will wait for nothing.

I just had my thyroid removed, the wait for malignant thyroid removal was 30 plus days... I know the surgeon, he offered me a surgery date 1 week from the surgical consult.. I decided to wait 2 months, only because Thyroid cx is for the most part slow moving, and I had a 2 1/2 week vacation planned this fall..

Not much will change with the ACA, it's fearmongerimg BS... Md still makes a ton of money, and healthcare is a huge growth sector for the next 20 years...

There's wait times in every city, in every state and in every country... Unless you are rich or a donor, then you walk to the front of the line... You have to know somebody on the inside, you will wait for nothing.

I just had my thyroid removed, the wait for malignant thyroid removal was 30 plus days... I know the surgeon, he offered me a surgery date 1 week from the surgical consult.. I decided to wait 2 months, only because Thyroid cx is for the most part slow moving, and I had a 2 1/2 week vacation planned this fall..

Not much will change with the ACA, it's fearmongerimg BS... Md still makes a ton of money, and healthcare is a huge growth sector for the next 20 years...

Sigh. If only it were that simple.

Sigh. If only it were that simple.

It is, go make a large donation to the hospital foundation, and call the VP of Development when you need something... There is someone on staff to make sure you are well taken care of...

I know this because I am that guy at our hospital, among other things...

It is, go make a large donation to the hospital foundation, and call the VP of Development when you need something... There is someone on staff to make sure you are well taken care of...

I know this because I am that guy at our hospital, among other things...

I was talking about "Not much will change with the ACA." As for the other part, I have doc friends and get seen for free.

I was talking about "Not much will change with the ACA." As for the other part, I have doc friends and get seen for free.

If they are the probing kind of docs, it isn't actually free. :bag: How many times does your good friend Bill need to actually check your prostate?

Edited by 3rdnlng

does anybody still do that? professional courtesy? talk about an example of giving to those not in need.

and you give free general anesthesia to colleagues? or is it just the office based docs that are expected to write off their care?

If they are the probing kind of docs, it isn't actually free. :bag: How many times does your good friend Bill need to actually check your prostate?

As many times as it takes.

does anybody still do that? professional courtesy? talk about an example of giving to those not in need.

and you give free general anesthesia to colleagues? or is it just the office based docs that are expected to write off their care?

Yes some people actually still do professional courtesy. We do it for our anesthesia group and immediate family members, the doctors who give us business (who usually return the favor), and the nursing staff. And I do give to those in need, birddog. It's called getting paid less than 1/4 for Medicaid and 1/3 for Medicare versus private insurance. And as you know, I pay into that so I'm partially paying myself. Nevermind the people who don't pay their bill balance. I'd dare you to find any industry where the poor/elderly customer is getting a 67-75% break on their bill.

As many times as it takes.

Yes some people actually still do professional courtesy. We do it for our anesthesia group and immediate family members, the doctors who give us business (who usually return the favor), and the nursing staff. And I do give to those in need, birddog. It's called getting paid less than 1/4 for Medicaid and 1/3 for Medicare versus private insurance. And as you know, I pay into that so I'm partially paying myself. Nevermind the people who don't pay their bill balance. I'd dare you to find any industry where the poor/elderly customer is getting a 67-75% break on their bill.

you might want to reconsider http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/legal-topics/regulatory-compliance-topics/health-care-fraud-abuse/professional-courtesy-in-context-health-care.page or at least not make public that you do it fro referring docs.

All this European GMO scare is bull***. They still smoke like chimneys. I was in DeGaulle Airport in Paris and that place smelled like an ashtray. They had ashtrays at the gate!

Everything is GMO. Breeding animals or crops is genetically modifying the organism. Ever see the ancient corn. It looked like those miniature corn cobs you see in chinese meals. They have been genetically modified to get what you see today as corn on the cob. Lemons and avocados have to be grafted onto rootstock.

Name ONE instance of where someone was shown to be harmed by GMO foods.