Free healthcare for all...

meazza

You're right in that there are fat asses in the world. Plenty of them. And there is an issue of personal responsibility too -- but like you said, the food tastes not only good, but it's like !@#$ing crack compared to what was available 50 years ago. I know that's not an excuse but I do have some sympathy.

This is one of the most important issues facing our world today. I honestly believe that. And it's something very few people are talking about seriously because there's just too much money behind the food industry. It's criminal.

Then explain to me why other nations who have access to the same food aren't nearly as bad in terms of weight/obesity epidemics.

Canada is America junior as a market and yet I don't see the same amount of fat asses I saw when visited several cities in the states. Stats aren't nearly as bad as well.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then explain to me why other nations who have access to the same food aren't nearly as bad in terms of weight/obesity epidemics.

Canada is America junior as a market and yet I don't see the same amount of fat asses I saw when visited several cities in the states. Stats aren't nearly as bad as well.

Just wait. Monsantos is becoming more and more global every day. Same with Kraft, Nestle and the rest.

Just wait. Monsantos is becoming more and more global every day. Same with Kraft, Nestle and the rest.

I spent two weeks in Spain this summer and I regularly visit Europe. Generally speaking, at 6 feet 210 20% Body fat, I'm considered obese in comparison to what I saw and I will say that those mother!@#$ers eat a lot. Tell them you're cutting carbs and they'll think you're an alien.

I'm quite certain I could go through the average diet of someone who is obese and probably cut it down considerably to the point where this person would in the long term not be obese. I doubt money is really that much of an issue. As I said, my parents survived on much much less.

It is significantly more expensive to eat healthy. I'm not saying that it can't be done or is an excuse....but it's a factor.

I spent two weeks in Spain this summer and I regularly visit Europe. Generally speaking, at 6 feet 210 20% Body fat, I'm considered obese in comparison to what I saw and I will say that those mother!@#$ers eat a lot. Tell them you're cutting carbs and they'll think you're an alien.

Yeah, because they have less GMOs in their food supply than we do. It took almost 40 years to saturate the market here and it'll take at least a generation if not two to completely take over Europe -- unless the climate change is real and Europe faces another year of massive flooding, causing them to buy even more GMO crop than they did this year (which was a record amount).

It is significantly more expensive to eat healthy. I'm not saying that it can't be done or is an excuse....but it's a factor.

bull **** bull **** bull ****!!! I have posted here that it is actually cheaper to eat healthy. It's just that no one knows how to shop and cook

bull **** bull **** bull ****!!! I have posted here that it is actually cheaper to eat healthy. It's just that no one knows how to shop and cook

Yep. Education is the key. A friend of mine once helped out a poor man by giving him $20 to buy food. Instead of perhaps buying a peanut butter jar, some bread and water, he went and bought Mcdonalds.

Effectively he could have eaten well for a week but instead chose to eat **** once.

Yep. Education is the key. A friend of mine once helped out a poor man by giving him $20 to buy food. Instead of perhaps buying a peanut butter jar, some bread and water, he went and bought Mcdonalds.

Effectively he could have eaten well for a week but instead chose to eat **** once.

In microcosm that's what America just chose to do - again.

I buy a weeks worth (five days) of salads at Trader Joes for, wait for it........$20. A burrito the size of my forearm at the cafe downstairs at my office is $8.50.

I agree with you all the way. Pepsi is way more expensive than the water coming out of the tap. If Americans drank less soda and other sugary drinks, they would be better off. I'm a slim guy, but when I made the decision to stop drinking soda (mind you I only had 7-10 servings a week) I dropped 8 lbs.

Just wait til January........................................we asked for it

The Avalanche Of New Obamacare Rules Will Come In January, 2013

10/28/2012

Obama_signs_health_care-crop.jpg

When Congress wrote 2,700 pages of legislation to create ObamaCare, that was only the starting point in the government’s re-engineering of our health sector. Tens of thousands of pages of regulation – or more – are needed to provide detailed guidance dictating exactly how its maze of new programs must operate.

But deadlines are looming for ObamaCare for programs that are required to begin in 2014. And the administration is significantly behind schedule, with insiders speculating the White House is waiting until after the election to issue an avalanche of rules, many of which are sure to be controversial.

Government re-engineering of the private marketplace is a complex task. So far, more than 13,000 pages of federal ObamaCare regulations have been issued, but employers, states, and health companies say they need much more.

One recent rule took 18 pages to define a “full time employee.” That’s needed because a company employing 50 or more full-time workers must provide health insurance or pay a fine. But part-time employees working fewer than 30 hours a week are exempt. How the government defines a full-time employee has huge financial implications for a company. The rule describes the difference between “variable hour employees” and “ongoing employees,” for example, and how to determine what time period to measure with definitions of “standard measurement periods” and “look-back measurements.”

Employers are hiring battalions of lawyers to help them decipher the bureaucratese, and some companies already have announced they plan to cut the hours of many of their workers so they fit within the part-time threshold, arguing even the $2,000 to $3,000 per-employee fines would more than wipe out their profit margins.

States also are in a quandary. HHS claims it is giving states “significant flexibility” in implementing ObamaCare, including the controversial health insurance exchanges, but even those supporting the law are increasingly alarmed because they say they simply don’t have enough information to proceed.

The law requires exchanges to be created as a funnel for hundreds of billions of dollars in new health insurance subsidies and also as a vehicle to implement significant new regulations of the health insurance market.

The exchanges are required by law to begin enrolling members on October 1st of next year, and a huge amount of work needs to be done to meet that deadline.

{snip}

But even if President Obama were to be reelected, his Rube Goldberg health law may well implode from the nearly impossible task of re-engineering one-sixth of our economy to fit his centrally-controlled archetype.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gracemarieturner/2012/10/28/the-avalanche-of-new-obamacare-rules-will-come-in-january-2013/

You're also a malnourished, girly armed, pygmy by TBD standards. Its easy to keep the weight off when you work 5 hours a day, take 2 months off in summer, and get checks from the government for not being a gypsy.

Edited by Jauronimo

Bingo. All you need to do is take a look at the fat, sugar and/or sodium content of almost anything you pick up in the supermarket. Plus the 'roids and whatever else they have in the meat, poultry and milk.

Of course, but the vast majority of the population isn't enlightened, motivated or financially secure enough to do so. I don't mean that as an excuse per se, just the reality of the situation.

Eating healthy ain't cheap. We pay out the ass for stuff like organic milk, meats, fruits/veggies from the farmers' market, etc. but most people can't afford to do that.

I agree kd. Eating healthy is expensive. People on welfare can in no way afford to eat healthy. Unless in the summer, where you can shop at a farmers market.

I agree with you all the way. Pepsi is way more expensive than the water coming out of the tap. If Americans drank less soda and other sugary drinks, they would be better off. I'm a slim guy, but when I made the decision to stop drinking soda (mind you I only had 7-10 servings a week) I dropped 8 lbs.

Soda is the plague of our generation....and a much slower death than the bubonic type. Keep preaching fellas....you can eat well and cheap!

not really. grow your own. can. freeze. go to the farmers market when it's open. i'm sure i'll be accused of being a hippie but it's doable. we just finished our fresh tomatoes from the garde but have lots canned and frozen,. and guess what? they're way better than anything you'll get at the supermarket. still have plenty of home grown squash, beets and potatoes.

funny thing is, supermarket food is kinda like ambien or prilosec. once ya start ya don't think you can do with out it. example: supermarket beef tastes better to me than grass fed i can get from my neighbors for way more money. lamb is just as good or better locally. same with pork. milk? ever had raw milk. yuk! to get it, we had to buy a share in a milk cow (my wife makes cheese from it). that's how screwed up the system is though. if you want it you have to jump through hoops. to protect the corporate farmer. btw, local eggs here are miles better than the supermarket (orange, tasty yolks) and only cost a bit more.

edit. ill also add that you don't need a ton of space. a pressed wood raised bed 3.5 x 7 ft filled with miracle grow soil will produce amazing results in a decent spot.

Edited by birdog1960

I agree kd. Eating healthy is expensive. People on welfare can in no way afford to eat healthy. Unless in the summer, where you can shop at a farmers market.

they take wic and food stamps at our farmers market. cue the negative comments about takers.

The answer to whether you can eat healthy for a reasonable cost is it depends- do you have a yard? do you have prep space, what is the state of your refrigeration, what type of cooking facilities do you have, what is the state of your transportation, where are the supermarkets located, do you know how to cook, how many are you feeding, etc etc - someone mentioned giving someone a jar of peanut butter and maybe that would be a good idea and maybe he doesn't have spoon or a knife, maybe he lives in a shelter where personal food is not allowed, or maybe he lives on the street where the cold will make that peanut butter into a brick- I mean just don't assume too much of what people have.