Free healthcare for all...

meazza

Of course I do rob. There are more good people in the poorer neighberhoods than bad people. There are also more people with cars in surrounding suburbs than those in the city.

But the discussion is about affordable healthy foods for poorer neighborhoods and ones ability to afford to eat healthy. Which I believe I have shown, is not always affordable or accessible for those of low income.

What are the more affordable and less healthy alternatives they're turning to? And were you looking to offer solutions or are we just feeling good about feeling bad?

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh quit your bitching. We used to walk to the store and carry the groceries home.

Life is soooooo hard sometimes. And I'm thinking with my emotions? I'm thinking practically and you're the emotional one in this.

I disagree. I have shown many obstacles the poor have to overcome and you come back with life is hard sarcasm. They know life is hard. They live it every day.

I disagree. I have shown many obstacles the poor have to overcome and you come back with life is hard sarcasm. They know life is hard. They live it every day.

No, you're espousing the victim mentality.

If life is so difficult they should empower themselves to leave and seek out a better life

Edited by /dev/null

What are the more affordable and less healthy alternatives they're turning too? And were you looking to offer solutions or are we just feeling good about feeling bad?

I wish I had the answer Rob. But I believe it starts with changing peoples perceptions of the poor. That would be a good start.

No, you're espousing the victim mentality.

If life is so difficult they should empower themselves to leave and seek out a better life

I agree dev, but we have to do more than tell someone to get a job then walk away.

Obstacles? They have to take a bus to get to the market in the winter? Awwwww, life sucks when you're poor. No ****, That's why many of us chose not to be poor and yes for many it is a choice.

I wish I had the answer Rob. But I believe it starts with changing peoples perceptions of the poor. That would be a good start.

Come on, man. That's the most bull **** answer to an honest question I've seen in some time. Changing people's perception of the poor = poor people eating healthy? GTFO.

Seriously, 1. what are these more affordable, less healthy alternatives that poor people are turning to?

And 2. What, other than rubbing our vaginas and feeling sooo good about feeling so bad, can be done to remedy this perceived problem?

BTW since I've moved from the city my grocery shopping choices have greatly diminished.

You should write a song called "I left my Humanity in San Francisco." Hope you like the view from the suburbs, you scumbag POS.

money or time?

Both.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

How many supermarkets are inside the city border. Are you being serious or are you trolling? Ask anyone without a car that lives in the city how easy it is to get to a supermarket. I should know, I volunter my time and gas money taking low income people to the grocery store.

Sometimes I think people on this sight disagree just to disagree. I wonder why some of the best posters have left this sight.

Maybe because they got tired of grammar and spelling mistakes?

Or did they get tired of the same trope that po' black folk can't get by without white people's benevolence?

Well I live in CA and I'm rich so I fly my private jet to Rochester for my groceries.

Well then, I hope you direct the Captain of your G6 to buzz the tower and hit the deck of those inner city areas to scorch the asses of the snivelling poor that are crawling on their bellies to their nearest Aldi's.

Hey, you do know that Aldi's is wholly owned by two ex Waffen SS officers who also own Trader Joe's. What schadenfreude! Ein Prosit!

Well then, I hope you direct the Captain of your G6 to buzz the tower and hit the deck of those inner city areas to scorch the asses of the snivelling poor that are crawling on their bellies to their nearest Aldi's.

Hey, you do know that Aldi's is wholly owned by two ex Waffen SS officers who also own Trader Joe's. What schadenfreude! Ein Prosit!

Aldi's is huge.

Aldi's is huge.

I shop at Aldi's all the time. Most of the stuff is very good....and considerably cheaper. I head to the 'other' grocery stores for a very small percentage of items that I don't think they 'copy' as well. I am blessed to be able to shop where I choose.....but I choose to be economical. And yes...many of my friends mock me for shopping there.

As for the inner city 'pain' of shopping. I lived in a major metro area for 8 yrs in med school and residency. I rode the subway to get groceries. It's not 'the best' but it is certainly doable.

I shop at Aldi's all the time. Most of the stuff is very good....and considerably cheaper. I head to the 'other' grocery stores for a very small percentage of items that I don't think they 'copy' as well. I am blessed to be able to shop where I choose.....but I choose to be economical. And yes...many of my friends mock me for shopping there.

As for the inner city 'pain' of shopping. I lived in a major metro area for 8 yrs in med school and residency. I rode the subway to get groceries. It's not 'the best' but it is certainly doable.

You know what companies are doing very well during these tough economic times? The dollar stores and stores like Aldi's. Once you find out that you can get Dollar General's brand items that are just as good as the brand names for sometime 1/3 the price, people won't go back to the brand names. So, even if by some miracle the economy comes roaring back those types of stores will flourish. They are a good investment.

My wife and I also shop as economically as possible. We shop at BJ's wholesale, Walmart, Job Lot, Big Lots, dollar stores, my wife clips coupons, and we usually use coupons when we go out for dinner or do the early bird/prix fixe thing. I figure any idiot can pay full price, but the trick is paying less than others do.

And I agree it's doable. The problem is everyone needs everything to be made easy for them. Like my kids. But at some point they're going to have to grow up.

The bottom line is that it's much easier to find excuses why you can't do something than it is to make sacrifices and do the little things to improve your life; especially when you are having your laziness justified by faux do-gooders who are reinforcing your behavior by telling you that "it's unfair and too hard".