Free healthcare for all...

meazza

You know what companies are doing very well during these tough economic times? The dollar stores and stores like Aldi's. Once you find out that you can get Dollar General's brand items that are just as good as the brand names for sometime 1/3 the price, people won't go back to the brand names. So, even if by some miracle the economy comes roaring back those types of stores will flourish. They are a good investment.

Aldi's is privately held last I knew. I was hoping to buy some a few years ago but it's not a public company. Your points are valid, however. If I can get quality cheap....it's a no brainer. It's like hiring practices...I'm going to align myself with those that are looking out for my/our best interest...regardless of 'name' or other non-essential characteristic(s).

Why is there no 'finance' forum on this board anyway?? If there is...mea culpa.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aldi's is privately held last I knew. I was hoping to buy some a few years ago but it's not a public company. Your points are valid, however. If I can get quality cheap....it's a no brainer. It's like hiring practices...I'm going to align myself with those that are looking out for my/our best interest...regardless of 'name' or other non-essential characteristic(s).

Every other thread on PPP is a finance/economics thread. You just need to pay more attention. :)

I've got some people I know who invest not in their stock, but in the buildings they occupy. All the big dollar store chains have really good credit and you can earn a good 13% on your cash for a minimum of 10 years but possibly 15 with none or little responsibilities. The key is picking the right location.

Every other thread on PPP is a finance/economics thread. You just need to pay more attention. :)

You're right...especially macro theory. However, I was thinking more in terms of specific stock plays etc.

I've got some people I know who invest not in their stock, but in the buildings they occupy. All the big dollar store chains have really good credit and you can earn a good 13% on your cash for a minimum of 10 years but possibly 15 with none or little responsibilities. The key is picking the right location.

interesting....

You're right...especially macro theory. However, I was thinking more in terms of specific stock plays etc.

Then be prepared to get slapped for listening to investment advice from a bunch of anonymous internet posters.

Then be prepared to get slapped for listening to investment advice from a bunch of anonymous internet posters.

LOL, and I don't normally say things like LOL. Everybody should use their own common sense and independently investigate thoughts, ideas, proposals. If your schit is good it stands that test. MD, feel free to PM me, or not.

I find it hard to believe there are no grocery stores in Chicago or Rochester.

That is not what I said.

I said: "This part of Chicago." Which means where I am... The lower SE side... To the Indiana line. Chicago is 30 miles north to south x 8-12 miles wide east to west.

Google map them... There are a ton of places (all kinds from mom & pop to major food centers, like Walmart), BUT as you head into the poorer south, southeast side... It becomes more of a "food desert." Of course you can find all kinds of convienence stores... That is not what we are talkign about...

Oh quit your bitching. We used to walk to the store and carry the groceries home.

Life is soooooo hard sometimes. And I'm thinking with my emotions? I'm thinking practically and you're the emotional one in this.

No... You are the one getting emotional trying to superimpose SF into the equation. SF is run with very liberal policy, probably not a problem in The Bay Area... They are active and progressive in TRYING to solve these problems. For all Chicago's democratic doucheness... Illinois as a whole is still very mired in conservative, midwest thinking...

I shop at Aldi's all the time. Most of the stuff is very good....and considerably cheaper. I head to the 'other' grocery stores for a very small percentage of items that I don't think they 'copy' as well. I am blessed to be able to shop where I choose.....but I choose to be economical. And yes...many of my friends mock me for shopping there.

As for the inner city 'pain' of shopping. I lived in a major metro area for 8 yrs in med school and residency. I rode the subway to get groceries. It's not 'the best' but it is certainly doable.

Save-A-Lot is another Aldi type option.

I am not really bit.ch.ing... Because cars can be cheap. There are lots all over the place where you can pick up a 1200 dollar ride... Not the best... But it would do... Heck, if you can save, a better 3,000 dollar car would last you longer... Cars aren't like the old days... Used cars will run for ever with minimal upkeep!

It's a "food desert" because they get ripped off so bad by the shoplifters. Next to the Rockpile, a black businessman opened up a supermarket. He called it FIGMOS (Finally I Got My Own Supermarket). He closed up two years later. When asked why he closed up when there were no markets around, he said :"the SOBs stole so much, I couldn't stay in business".

My brother-in-law worked for Sysco. He delivered to the Family Dollar store on (I believe) William Street. The manager had to stand with a gun next to the truck. He told my BIL that the stuff would get stolen as it went down the rollers into the store.

That is not what I said.

I said: "This part of Chicago." Which means where I am... The lower SE side... To the Indiana line. Chicago is 30 miles north to south x 8-12 miles wide east to west.

Google map them... There are a ton of places (all kinds from mom & pop to major food centers, like Walmart), BUT as you head into the poorer south, southeast side... It becomes more of a "food desert." Of course you can find all kinds of convienence stores... That is not what we are talkign about...

No... You are the one getting emotional trying to superimpose SF into the equation. SF is run with very liberal policy, probably not a problem in The Bay Area... They are active and progressive in TRYING to solve these problems. For all Chicago's democratic doucheness... Illinois as a whole is still very mired in conservative, midwest thinking...

So you know all about SF do you? Well what you know is 100% wrong. SF, the king of progressive cities is just the opposite. They're actually getting their first Target in the city limits. They allowed that kicking and a screaming. Let me ask you how close is the nearest grocery store to the inner city in Chicago and how many bus lines will get you there?

So you know all about SF do you? Well what you know is 100% wrong. SF, the king of progressive cities is just the opposite. They're actually getting their first Target in the city limits. They allowed that kicking and a screaming. Let me ask you how close is the nearest grocery store to the inner city in Chicago and how many bus lines will get you there?

This thread reminds me of an old Penn & Teller Bull**&t episode on Walmart wanting to add a location in inner city Chicago. To hear the opposition from polite society was akin to the devil coming up from down under.

When I was in Seattle in August, Target had just opened up there within the city limits as well.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-orlando-health-layoffs-20121116,0,7763193.story

Such cost-cutting measures are happening across the country. On Wednesday Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina announced it would cut 950 jobs by June.

Last month, Louisiana State University announced it would cut more than $150 million from its hospital system, and 1,495 positions across its seven hospitals.

"It's a challenging time for hospitals," said John Bigalke, senior partner of global health care for Deloitte, one of the nation's largest professional services firms.

Hospitals are looking at an $800 billion to $900 billion reduction in Medicare payments over the next 10 years, along with reductions in Medicaid payments, he said.

"As patients shift into insurance exchanges, payments will go down further. Meanwhile, they have to spend a lot of money on technology. They're under lots of pressure," Bigalke said.

Just this year, Orlando Health experienced reductions of more than $59 million in Medicaid reimbursements — a reduction of more than 20 percent over the prior year, said Lewis. This trend is expected to continue as additional reforms take effect, she said.

This trend is expected to continue as additional reforms take effect, she said.

Ahh.....government reforms.

As more and more of the laughingly named Affordable Health Care Act takes effect, I hope you contemplate on how it was passed.

My brother-in-law lives in Seattle and says they're a SF wannabe.

Yep. That's why I mentioned it.

http://www.orlandose...0,7763193.story

Such cost-cutting measures are happening across the country. On Wednesday Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina announced it would cut 950 jobs by June.

Last month, Louisiana State University announced it would cut more than $150 million from its hospital system, and 1,495 positions across its seven hospitals.

"It's a challenging time for hospitals," said John Bigalke, senior partner of global health care for Deloitte, one of the nation's largest professional services firms.

Hospitals are looking at an $800 billion to $900 billion reduction in Medicare payments over the next 10 years, along with reductions in Medicaid payments, he said.

"As patients shift into insurance exchanges, payments will go down further. Meanwhile, they have to spend a lot of money on technology. They're under lots of pressure," Bigalke said.

Just this year, Orlando Health experienced reductions of more than $59 million in Medicaid reimbursements — a reduction of more than 20 percent over the prior year, said Lewis. This trend is expected to continue as additional reforms take effect, she said.

Like I said, you're going to see doctors retiring early and fewer people going into the field. But hey, you'll have health insurance (that will prove to be anything but affordable in time).

Like I said, you're going to see doctors retiring early and fewer people going into the field. But hey, you'll have health insurance (that will prove to be anything but affordable in time).

And the we'll see a push for more doctors and nurses. But in order to train more doctors and nurses they will need loans and grants for education. And unlike now the medical field won't attract the best and brightest, it will attract the I need a job crowd

And the we'll see a push for more doctors and nurses. But in order to train more doctors and nurses they will need loans and grants for education. And unlike now the medical field won't attract the best and brightest, it will attract the I need a job crowd

Yep.

Maybe that could finally lead to tort reform too then since that is another real problem no one in DC wants to tackle. They are mostly trial lawyers themselves after all.

Nothing says malpractice lawsuit more than a doctor named Bubba or JimBob with a ring in his nose, and a beer in hand....

um, no. canadian med school applicants generally have a less than 10% success rate at finding a spot despite a socialized system that pays doctors significantly less on average than the us.http://en.wikipedia....chool_in_Canada. pretty sure it's still very competitive in great britain also. but in a way you may be somewhat correct. the changes may in fact decrease the number of applicants considering careers in medicine versus finance or law. and that might be a good thing. i'm convinced there are plenty of excellent candidates that just want to be doctors.

yep. uk, too.http://www.themsag.com/medical-school-statistics/cat_13.html

Edited by birdog1960